Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

5 minutes ago, MoilyX said:

I got to thinking how they coped in 2001 with foot & mouth but as there wasn’t one that year I thought that was a planned fallow year, but then found this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1100854.stm

Were they the actual reasons for not holding it in 2001? Was it cancelled or never scheduled?

Surprised that foot & mouth not even mentioned.

They didn't get a license for 2001 at all.  It may well have been cancelled anyway because of foot+mouth, but we'll never know.  By the time that flared up, it was already known that there wasn't going to be a festival that year.

It was pretty much time for a fallow anyway - having had festivals in 97, 98, 99 and 2000 and the previous gap was also after four festivals - 92,93,94,95.  I say "pretty much" because the fallows are now less frequent.  But the point with 2001 is that even if it was time to have a fallow, the decision was out of the festivals hands - they couldn't have had one if they wanted to.

17 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Let’s hope so, only one case in Scotland but over 30 in England , loads in Italy. 

Who says fresh fruit and vegetables are good for you! 

Seems Scotland might hold the key. A constant supply of cold, 50mph+ winds, rain and a shellacking of golf ball-sized Hailstones every now and then and COVID is all ‘cant be arsed with that’

4 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Can't argue against that when 38% of americans refuse to drink Corona. Just goes to show there are always stupid people.

Corona is too strong for the average American anyway. Luckily they have plenty of beer flavoured water like Bud Light.  

31 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I wonder how many people will worry about a large gathering and not pay their ticket balance and make the decision not to go, even if there is no indication at ticket payment date of it being cancelled.  If say ticket balance payment date was this week does anyone feel they wouldn't pay their balance due to the virus situation ? (someone maybe do a poll ?)

There will be some, but it's premature and an over-reaction to decide not to go in early April, for an event 10 weeks later when there may be no measurable risk. 

28 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm thinking that by that point they might allow events to go ahead, because there's no a lot of point to keep pushing the infection period forwards from around the beginning of June. 

I agree, there was an article in the Times saying the government was deciding whether to allow an accurate early out break (with higher fatalities) or aim for a prolonged lower key one (with their worry for the latter being the economic impact!) 

Are the festival covered by insurance if they needed to cancel? can they survive financially if worst comes to the worst? 

11 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

just had my newsletter for construction enquirer through today -

"The MIPIM property show has been postponed due to concerns over coronavirus. - Property show postponed from March to June"

so maybe they think this will all have blown over by June?

There was definitely a reference in a Guardian article I read yesterday to something else being postponed until June. It likely is still just guesswork/optimism for people having to make these decisions, and three months seems like a reasonable length of time to hope things have improved.

I certainly hope they are right though, and that if there is any intelligence to suggest this is a sensible move, that the Glasto team are getting the same information.

14 minutes ago, Lycra said:

The problem with letting event go ahead is the risk of contagion. If the infection rates get out of hand the NHS will not cope under the strain, death rates will increase and the economy take a hit.

if it's already widespread the contagion is already there, and there's little point in containment measures.

Also, if it's widespread, they'll want that to be at its worst during the summer, but probably also before the school holidays.

Hopefully means more tickets in the resales (as I don't have one and having a glass back means working isn't an option)...

Would the ticket insurance cover option pay out if the event is cancelled/Postponed due to Covid-19?

Just now, dotdash79 said:

No, but then the festival would then refund you. The ticket insurance if you are ill and unable to attend.

OK - what if you're "Self isolating" due to having/potentially having it? Or would you need a Dr's note?

7 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

The Government are publishing their action plan tomorrow....at least that might give us some indication of timelines in different scenarios. 

they aren't so good with timelines of  recent events ? :) 

Edited by crazyfool1

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

if it's already widespread the contagion is already there, and there's little point in containment measures.

Also, if it's widespread, they'll want that to be at its worst during the summer, but probably also before the school holidays.

But if we have high levels of contagion acts won't want to play. Foreign acts especially would be reluctant as their government may require them to self-isolate on return from an infected area.

Edited by Lycra

10 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

If the festival does go ahead wonder if there’ll be loads of people in masks there? Could get a bit scary if you were tripping and everyone’s bouncing round with masks on. 

Billie Eilish setting the trend last year...

rs_634x1024-190630135658-634-billie-eili