Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

6 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Wonder how much spite would come into a government decision to cancel glastonbury, (see their plans for the bbc)

Surely the Tories will want all the lefties in one place to increase chances of infection 😂

• Upvote 2

Today's update:

Last weekend we saw case numbers explode in Iran, Italy and South Korea. This weekend, thankfully we didn't see any new 'explosions' to that extent, however there are a few more countries in Europe getting worryingly high numbers. All in all I don't think the weekend was as bad as a lot of the media would suggest.

Starting with China, we see active case numbers drop at a consistent rate again. 7,188 less cases than my update on Friday and now down to 32,591 cases. Hopefully get sub-30k numbers this week. Wuhan have actually closed a makeshift hospital as case numbers have dropped so much. In the rest of East Asia (minus South Korea) there were no real disasters. Japan's recoveries grew (although not quite as much as hoped) and their total cases increased by only 18 over the weekend (218). Singapore's recoveries also rose but a slight increase again overall of 3 (34). Malaysia increased 6 (11), Taiwan 1 (28) and Indonesia reported their first cases (2). In better news, Thailand is down 2 (11), Honk Gong down 5 (60) and no changes in Macau (2), Vietnam (0), Cambodia (0) and Philippines (1).

On the other hand, South Korea continues to spiral out of control. Active cases up nearly 2,000 (4279) and only 8 recoveries over the weekend. 

In the Middle East, the countries excluding Iran are doing their best to contain the spread. Small increases across the region but so far no huge jumps. Lebanon is up 8 (10), Israel up 7 (9), Oman up 1 (5, also had their first recovery), Kuwait up 2 (45), Bahrain up 14 (47) and Iraq up 12 (19). Afghanistan still just with 1 case. Qatar has its first cases (3).

Iran however continued to grow massively. There was a lot of distrust over their figures so hopefully they have began being more honest and that accounts for some of the spike. Active cases up 550+ to 749, but recoveries continue to grow at a good rate too. 

In Europe, Italy continues to affect everywhere else. Italy is up just under 1000 (1577) active cases since Friday which suggests they are struggling to contain it which isn't good for the rest of Europe. Too many countries in Europe to do individually but the most worrying increases are in Spain, up 59 (82), France, up 91 (116) and Germany up 82 (114). Scandinavian countries also showing signs of growth and the UK is up 18 cases to 28 (this now includes NI's case). Ireland have their first case too (1).

In Africa, Egypt has a new case so is back to having 1 case. Nigeria remains on one and Algeria is up 2 (3). In Latin America, Brazil is up 1 (2) and Ecuador has announced its first cases (6), as has Mexico (5). In North America, Canada is up 10 (18) and USA up 23 (77). Two deaths in USA too. Dominican Republic has a case as well (1).

In the rest of the world, Pakistan is up 2 (4) and India is also up 2 (2). New Zealand remains on 1 but Australia has increased 5 (17). Not much change elsewhere.

This weekend was one of steady growth across Europe, Middle East and the Americas but nothing too disastrous yet. Italy, France, Spain and Germany seem to hold the key to the virus in Europe going forward. Except South Korea, it was an encouraging weekend in Asia.

These updates were done around 9.30 so things may have changed in the time since!

• Upvote 5

With various sporting events being cancelled - UAE cycling, 6 Nations, MotoGP first 2 rounds possibly 3-4, F1 opening round maybe - if there’s no tangible improvement in curtainment over the next couple of months then I wouldn’t want to have the kinds of decisions Emily and gang have to make.

If the worst happens and it does get cancelled I would hope they could honour all ticket sales for next year, offering full refunds for any that can’t/don’t want to go next year, and reselling and returns in October. Presumably though they would refund all and claim on the insurance? (Only if they cancel after balance payment deadline, of course)

Nn

10 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Today's update:

Last weekend we saw case numbers explode in Iran, Italy and South Korea. This weekend, thankfully we didn't see any new 'explosions' to that extent, however there are a few more countries in Europe getting worryingly high numbers. All in all I don't think the weekend was as bad as a lot of the media would suggest.

Starting with China, we see active case numbers drop at a consistent rate again. 7,188 less cases than my update on Friday and now down to 32,591 cases. Hopefully get sub-30k numbers this week. Wuhan have actually closed a makeshift hospital as case numbers have dropped so much. In the rest of East Asia (minus South Korea) there were no real disasters. Japan's recoveries grew (although not quite as much as hoped) and their total cases increased by only 18 over the weekend (218). Singapore's recoveries also rose but a slight increase again overall of 3 (34). Malaysia increased 6 (11), Taiwan 1 (28) and Indonesia reported their first cases (2). In better news, Thailand is down 2 (11), Honk Gong down 5 (60) and no changes in Macau (2), Vietnam (0), Cambodia (0) and Philippines (1).

On the other hand, South Korea continues to spiral out of control. Active cases up nearly 2,000 (4279) and only 8 recoveries over the weekend. 

In the Middle East, the countries excluding Iran are doing their best to contain the spread. Small increases across the region but so far no huge jumps. Lebanon is up 8 (10), Israel up 7 (9), Oman up 1 (5, also had their first recovery), Kuwait up 2 (45), Bahrain up 14 (47) and Iraq up 12 (19). Afghanistan still just with 1 case. Qatar has its first cases (3).

Iran however continued to grow massively. There was a lot of distrust over their figures so hopefully they have began being more honest and that accounts for some of the spike. Active cases up 550+ to 749, but recoveries continue to grow at a good rate too. 

In Europe, Italy continues to affect everywhere else. Italy is up just under 1000 (1577) active cases since Friday which suggests they are struggling to contain it which isn't good for the rest of Europe. Too many countries in Europe to do individually but the most worrying increases are in Spain, up 59 (82), France, up 91 (116) and Germany up 82 (114). Scandinavian countries also showing signs of growth and the UK is up 18 cases to 28 (this now includes NI's case). Ireland have their first case too (1).

In Africa, Egypt has a new case so is back to having 1 case. Nigeria remains on one and Algeria is up 2 (3). In Latin America, Brazil is up 1 (2) and Ecuador has announced its first cases (6), as has Mexico (5). In North America, Canada is up 10 (18) and USA up 23 (77). Two deaths in USA too. Dominican Republic has a case as well (1).

In the rest of the world, Pakistan is up 2 (4) and India is also up 2 (2). New Zealand remains on 1 but Australia has increased 5 (17). Not much change elsewhere.

This weekend was one of steady growth across Europe, Middle East and the Americas but nothing too disastrous yet. Italy, France, Spain and Germany seem to hold the key to the virus in Europe going forward. Except South Korea, it was an encouraging weekend in Asia.

These updates were done around 9.30 so things may have changed in the time since!

This updates are so good! Thank you so much :)

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

I was raised catholic. I find this post deeply offensive and demand it is removed and Ayrshire Chris ostracised till the end of time.

🤗

I saw someone kissing the ring in the NYC Downlow once. After 5 days of no showering the coronavirus was the least of his worries.

21 minutes ago, MoilyX said:

With various sporting events being cancelled - UAE cycling, 6 Nations, MotoGP first 2 rounds possibly 3-4, F1 opening round maybe - if there’s no tangible improvement in curtainment over the next couple of months then I wouldn’t want to have the kinds of decisions Emily and gang have to make.

If the worst happens and it does get cancelled I would hope they could honour all ticket sales for next year, offering full refunds for any that can’t/don’t want to go next year, and reselling and returns in October. Presumably though they would refund all and claim on the insurance? (Only if they cancel after balance payment deadline, of course)

I wonder how many people will worry about a large gathering and not pay their ticket balance and make the decision not to go, even if there is no indication at ticket payment date of it being cancelled.  If say ticket balance payment date was this week does anyone feel they wouldn't pay their balance due to the virus situation ? (someone maybe do a poll ?)

My tin foil hat might be extra shiny today but I wonder if our current government would revoke the Glasto license under the guise of public safety to strike a blow to the lefty-in-cahoots-with-the-BBC event they probably have no love for in the first place.

14 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1234412109829681153

Government planning seems to hope to slow the outbreak and push it better weather season-- think the peak might be 2-3 months away in the UK, which would take us to may/June. Still, hard to predict at this point. 

I'm thinking that by that point they might allow events to go ahead, because there's no a lot of point to keep pushing the infection period forwards from around the beginning of June. 

4 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I wonder how many people will worry about a large gathering and not pay their ticket balance and make the decision not to go, even if there is no indication at ticket payment date of it being cancelled.  If say ticket balance payment date was this week does anyone feel they wouldn't pay their balance due to the virus situation ? (someone maybe do a poll ?)

no idea on the numbers of course, but i reckon there'll be bound to be some who'll cancel because they want to avoid large gatherings.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

no idea on the numbers of course, but i reckon there'll be bound to be some who'll cancel because they want to avoid large gatherings.

I'm having to tell people to work from home this week as they were in Tenerife last week, (their hotel was 5km from the quarantined one ) , but obviously they went through an airport !!! HR advice (not my advice) and other staff were expressing a worry about the person being in the office

I'm torn between telling everyone to stop being paranoid, and towing the party line :-) -

I got to thinking how they coped in 2001 with foot & mouth but as there wasn’t one that year I thought that was a planned fallow year, but then found this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1100854.stm

Were they the actual reasons for not holding it in 2001? Was it cancelled or never scheduled?

Surprised that foot & mouth not even mentioned.

2 minutes ago, MoilyX said:

I got to thinking how they coped in 2001 with foot & mouth but as there wasn’t one that year I thought that was a planned fallow year, but then found this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1100854.stm

Were they the actual reasons for not holding it in 2001? Was it cancelled or never scheduled?

Surprised that foot & mouth not even mentioned.

2001 was cancelled because I jumped over the fence in 2000 and everybody got very upset about it.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

People hand tickets back every year for any number of reasons. I always suspected that this year there would be fewer tickets back in the pot due to it being the 50th and the potentially stellar lineup, however this might bring the resale pot back to a more average number.

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm thinking that by that point they might allow events to go ahead, because there's no a lot of point to keep pushing the infection period forwards from around the beginning of June. 

The problem with letting event go ahead is the risk of contagion. If the infection rates get out of hand the NHS will not cope under the strain, death rates will increase and the economy take a hit.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

People hand tickets back every year for any number of reasons. I always suspected that this year there would be fewer tickets back in the pot due to it being the 50th and the potentially stellar lineup, however this might bring the resale pot back to a more average number.

Can't argue against that when 38% of americans refuse to drink Corona. Just goes to show there are always stupid people.

2001 was off the cards after the fence came down in 2000.  As discussed elsewhere, numbers were sensationalised but basically the festival was in danger until the superfence.

Foot and mouth's restrictions weren't particularly draconian, no movement of animals and disinfectant laced straw leading on and off site anywhere with livestock.  Some places however, decided that a bit of straw and disinfectant was too much, which is why Alton Towers just killed all the animals in the petting zoo instead.  I've never been to the place as a result, we took the kids to Drayton manor instead because at least they cared enough about their animals to just follow the regulations.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1423687.stm