Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

10 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Next couple weeks are absolutely crucial to how it's handled. Hopefully not many who caught it in Italy have left the region it currently is in. In theory, it should be easier to control than when it first broke out.

The problem it's that is extended in many countries already with local contact. It doesn't matter Italy now, it can be transmitted by Spain, Germany, Sweden... 

It’s can’t be stopped. All this about China controlling it there - yeah by closing the economy and boarding their population in - completely unsustainable. It’ll spread everywhere else and then back in to China - ironically they have stopped some Iranians bringing it back in!

You either let it burn through and see what happens or close the world down and fuck the entire economy and supply chain causing even greater death and hardship than the virus.

2 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

It’s can’t be stopped. All this about China controlling it there - yeah by closing the economy and boarding their population in - completely unsustainable. It’ll spread everywhere else and then back in to China - ironically they have stopped some Iranians bringing it back in!

You either let it burn through and see what happens or close the world down and fuck the entire economy and supply chain causing even greater death and hardship than the virus.

have you been on the phone to the Nai ? :) 

2 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Does saying it can't be stopped mean you think a vast majority of people will get it? I personally don't see it this way, but am also not an expert by any means. It has been around for just over 2 months and cases are shown to be decreasing. It's also possible that the virus gets weaker as it spreads. However, the inverse is also possible of course.

I do agree though that we will not see entire economies closing down because of it. 

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

That festive owl tweeting is to be ignored ... its off season now and is just looking for attention 

Youre not in the U.S., are you? Or specifically California where theres cases reported and where some big thing in the desert  is happening in 6 weeks time?  You guys are arguing that Glasto should reassure  Ticket holders that things will carry on for something in June, yet events in the next couple of months don’t matter really cause its “off season”. 

5 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Youre not in the U.S., are you? Or specifically California where theres cases reported and where some big thing in the desert  is happening in 6 weeks time?  You guys are arguing that Glasto should reassure  Ticket holders that things will carry on for something in June, yet events in the next couple of months don’t matter really cause its “off season”. 

a few thousand km as the owl flies ....Taunton , Somerset .... off season being it is no longer the festive season 

Edited by crazyfool1

UPDATE: Quote from England's chief medical officer, Prof Chris Whitty:

"If the outbreak intensifies, it may be necessary to close schools or stop mass gatherings of people for quite a long period of time, probably more than two months".

Looks like the next couple of weeks-month will be the deciding factor. If we have an outbreak in the UK, most schools, universities and businesses could stop operation, which likely means that festivals will not go ahead. Bear in mind carnivals in Greece and major events in Italy have already been cancelled due to the outbreak so if a significant number of cases break out into the UK in the next couple of months then I would be confident in saying that festivals will be cancelled.

It's not the result I want of course I would be devastated, however I am preparing for the worst. Cases in Germany are rapidly starting to increase after the outbreak in Italy meaning the virus could take control over the whole of Europe; we could really be seeing major festivals worldwide cancelled for the 2020 season.

Edited by FestivalJamie

11 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

"If the outbreak intensifies, it may be necessary to close schools or stop mass gatherings of people for quite a long period of time, probably more than two months".

Looks like the next couple of weeks-month will be the deciding factor. If we have an outbreak in the UK, most schools, universities and businesses could stop operation, which likely means that festivals will not go ahead. Bear in mind carnivals in Greece and major events in Italy have already been cancelled due to the outbreak so if a significant number of cases break out into the UK in the next couple of months then I would be confident in saying that festivals will be cancelled.

It's not the result I want of course I would be devastated, however I am preparing for the worst. Cases in Germany are rapidly starting to increase after the outbreak in Italy meaning the virus could take control over the whole of Europe; we could really be seeing major festivals worldwide cancelled for the 2020 season.

It doesn't look promising 😕

13 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Not sure if this is rational or irrational, but damn... who knows at this point. Sure hope everything goes ahead as planned. Would suck to have so many people get sick. Would also suck to miss out of what would likely be the only time I could ever go to Glasto. I doubt I'd be able to get tickets ever again.

Edited by TownesMR
Grammar

On 2/26/2020 at 12:30 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

27E49755-0F07-4774-827E-9B95C02746DB.thumb.jpeg.8acf59d4c8b83fba858d7b5cf4e53237.jpeg

think we need to calm down, what will be will be. This was the view across the Clyde this morning. Certainly gave me a sense of inner peace! 

I want to live where you live! That is truly beautiful! 

23 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Jesus Christ everyone is massively over reacting. Glastonbury ain’t getting cancelled ffs 

I don't actually hear anyone 'massively over reacting'. Just discussing the ongoing situation. 

In fact it seems reasonable and realistic that if it does develop into a pandemic that the likelihood of cancellation is quite high. See the comments of 'England's Chief Medical officer' above.

Or are you with the Tories in dismissing the opinions of experts?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2