Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Literally until the coast is clear, cases significantly reduce, or a vaccine comes around.

Its absolutely mad. It could write off the entirety of 2020.

Thats the main thing I'm keeping my eye on, is when you start doing stuff like that (Italy) when is it safe in the 'eyes of the public' to start doing it again. Because if events start happening again and you still have cases and no vaccine does it just start hte whole process again?

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s not ‘really dangerous’ what is your definition of really dangerous?

While I wouldn't say 'really dangerous' a 2%-4% mortality rate isn't great :)  Not that everyone in the world will contract it but 4% of our worlds population is 300million. 

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s not ‘really dangerous’ what is your definition of really dangerous?

I can think of numerous reasons.

The fact that it’s incredibly difficult to work out who actually has it.

The fact that people don’t know if they pose a risk of exposing vulnerable individuals to the virus.

The absolute wreck that it’s going to cause on the economy. All major companies are holding back everything and it will put us into a recession.

The impact it has on daily life from those at the top to the bottom of society. 

The threat of doctors and nurses being infected. What do we do when our doctors are sick too?

Also the fact that we don’t know the longer lasting effects of this. Is this going to become a seasonal illness now that we have to deal with? 

Think outside of the U.K. pub bubble. My American family who are uninsured can’t afford to get tested. Britain is incredibly privileged to have the NHS even if it is going to struggle greatly from this virus. Yeah you probably feel like you will be fine but a lot of people won’t be. Funnily enough other people having a bad time can have a great knock on effect of the rest of the world.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Literally until the coast is clear, cases significantly reduce, or a vaccine comes around.

Its absolutely mad. It could write off the entirety of 2020.

It is likely that it won’t be completely clear for a significant amount of time. Covid-19 will just become another one of a bunch of nasties that flare up regularly and are dealt with as business as usual (mostly via vaccination for vulnerable people). The reactions you have seen so far have been driven by the fear of perception and political expediency.

This is a horrible way of looking at it but at some point the government will be weighing up the likely death-toll caused by the virus with the likely death-toll of a heavier recession.

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

Thats the main thing I'm keeping my eye on, is when you start doing stuff like that (Italy) when is it safe in the 'eyes of the public' to start doing it again. Because if events start happening again and you still have cases and no vaccine does it just start hte whole process again?

While I wouldn't say 'really dangerous' a 2%-4% mortality rate isn't great :)  Not that everyone in the world will contract it but 4% of our worlds population is 300million. 

There is more

to worry about 

with a virus

than

dying

3 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

You can’t just shutter the entire country for more than a few weeks without destroying the economy which will take years to recover. Anyway your government is adopting a different approach. They know they can’t stop so the plan is to try and slow the spread enough so that the hospitals don’t become too overwhelmed because then people start to die fast like in Italy right now. Containment is out the window. It’s the same here in Ireland. Get in 2 weeks worth of food in case you get sick and have to isolate yourself. Avoid close contact with your parents. 

The thing is, Italy has already put in place these measures to stop people travelling, going to gatherings and events, to schools, etc. When is the correct time for people to start going to these things again? Because if the virus is still in the country/other countries then it can just start back up again. 

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

An 8% chance of killing my parents is pretty dangerous.

He didn’t say it was highly dangerous to your parents, he said it was highly dangerous.

A virus with a death rate below 1% is not highly dangerous. Ebola, cancer, heart disease stroke etc are all highly dangerous and would be significantly more dangerous to anybody than 8%.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

3 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

It hasn’t got a 2-4% mortality rate though 

Just now, Matt42 said:

There is more

to worry about 

with a virus

than

dying

Nope, I like a lot of the stuff that you post but with this, this is the main thing I am concerned about, my parents are both 65> with my step dad having a lot of medical issues. I'm in my 20s and due to my health if I get this I'll be in a lot of trouble.

So yes, I'm worrying that if I contract this I die.

A 2%-4% mortality rate is worrying. 

He didn’t say it was highly dangerous to your parents, he said it was highly dangerous.

A virus with a death rate below 1% is not highly dangerous. Ebola, cancer, heart disease stroke etc are all highly dangerous and would be significantly more dangerous to anybody than 8%.

Highly dangerous to some people is highly dangerous.  We take all of the above seriously.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

You’re not seeing the wider picture sorry. A virus can do more damage than just killing people. It’s highly likely to put us into another recession, which we will be feeling the effects of longer than the virus.

Worrying about your own mortality is one of many issues i’m afraid.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I can think of numerous reasons.

The fact that it’s incredibly difficult to work out who actually has it.

The fact that people don’t know if they pose a risk of exposing vulnerable individuals to the virus.

The absolute wreck that it’s going to cause on the economy. All major companies are holding back everything and it will put us into a recession.

The impact it has on daily life from those at the top to the bottom of society. 

The threat of doctors and nurses being infected. What do we do when our doctors are sick too?

Also the fact that we don’t know the longer lasting effects of this. Is this going to become a seasonal illness now that we have to deal with? 

Think outside of the U.K. pub bubble. My American family who are uninsured can’t afford to get tested. Britain is incredibly privileged to have the NHS even if it is going to struggle greatly from this virus. Yeah you probably feel like you will be fine but a lot of people won’t be. Funnily enough other people having a bad time can have a great knock on effect of the rest of the world.

But labelling a disease with a death rate below 1% as highly dangerous feeds into most of that.

But labelling a disease with a death rate below 1% as highly dangerous feeds into most of that.

Do you think all of this is just because people are panicking too much?

I’m sorry my friend but I think you have this view that because you’re probably fine it’s not a problem. Or that because you’re a bloody Brit, the measures you’re seeing across the world would never happen at home. They absolutely can. 

Edited by Matt42

It hasn’t got a 2-4% mortality rate though 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

As of March 3rd WHO announced it as a 3.4% mortality rate. Since then Italys numbers have gone up considerably. 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

You’re not seeing the wider picture sorry. A virus can do more damage than just killing people. It’s highly likely to put us into another recession, which we will be feeling the effects of longer than the virus.

Worrying about your own mortality is one of many issues i’m afraid.

Well excuse me for fearing for my life over a recession.

Can't really worry about a recession if I'm dead. 

29 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

(just as a point of interest I have a ticket) Its kind of unfair that you try and fail for tickets for years, to be told 'you're 100% not going next year due to something we can't control' 

Wouldn't there be some overlap though, people who tried for years and finally got one, now are told they're likely not going if their ticket doesn't transfer over?

I think it would be kind of rude for Glastonbury to completely ignore the fact people with tickets this year have invested a lot of time and money into going, even if it is out of their control.

People do need to get over the idea of tickets rolling over to next year if this year gets cancelled. There is absolutely no chance of that happening. 

If its cancelled people will be refunded. Anything else would be a logistical nightmare. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Henrik said:

People do need to get over the idea of tickets rolling over to next year if this year gets cancelled. There is absolutely no chance of that happening. 

If its cancelled people will be refunded. Anything else would be a logistical nightmare. 

Glad you've confirmed that for us, thanks!

5 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

As of March 3rd WHO announced it as a 3.4% mortality rate. Since then Italys numbers have gone up considerably. 

A recession will kill far more people than covid-19.

EDIT. It shouldn’t be that way, but government policies have meant that poverty is now a very significant killer. 

Edited by sadimmock

Just now, chazwwe said:

Italy have only tested a small number of people, the most accurate figures will be from those who have tested the most which is South Korea. They have the mortality rate as 0.7%, the actual death rate will be lower than this again still, as they won’t diagnose every case however many people you test.

The actual mortality rate will never be know, but it will be lower than the figures from the country who have tested the most people... why is this so hard for people to grasp!!!

Just now, Henrik said:

I have a ticket but I think this is the mostly likely and probably the fairest outcome all things considered. I’m personally still hopeful that the worst of this will be over by the end of June and we’ll be ok

1 minute ago, Henrik said:

I think refunded will be what happens.

But they might, perhaps, give ticketholders from this year first dibs on getting tickets next year - although I think that's more likely if it's cancelled after balances have been paid.

2 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Why? Just create a presale next year with all the reg numbers who have tickets... anyone who doesnt want to go next year, their tickets go into the main sale. Not too much of a nightmare.