Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

South Korea which has done the most extensive testing so far of any country has around 0.7% rate. This probably still doesn’t give the full picture as they still haven’t tested everyone who may or may not have the virus. 

As more people are tested the rate drops. We still don’t know what the actual rate is. 

Why is it ludicrous to think that the outbreak in Italy might be worse than in South Korea?

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Why? Surely it's going to be much closer to the country that is leading the way in testing, not in the mid point between a country that's barely testing and a country that's doing a really good job.

2% is closer to the lower figure, also i expect the age demographics for the countries will have an impact on the overall death rate.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

No it is not! They're doing a bad job of testing, so we don't know the fatality rate. That is a fact.

7989 diagnosed
▪️4316  currently hospitalised
▪️734 in intensive care
▪️463 dead.

Looks like a 6% fatality level to me.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Why is it ludicrous to think that the outbreak in Italy might be worse than in South Korea?

Ah of course this virus is specifically targeting Italians. 

Some useful data here regarding test rates: 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/

Italy announced on Feb. 26 that it would relax its testing criteria to the point that contacts linked to confirmed cases or recent travelers to outbreak areaswould not be tested anymore, unless they show symptoms.”

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Do you understand the concept of undiagnosed cases? And the effect that can have on the fatality rate?

Yes but is 6% of the confirmed cases in Italy being fatal not a bit concerning? China’s numbers are unbelievably skewed and you don’t have to be a tin foil theorist to realise that. A country like Italy should be presenting a more accurate view of what’s actually happening.

@Matt42 you can make a reasonable point about there being a high fatality rate based on the data coming out of Italy to build a case for this virus being more deadly than it appears without freaking out and throwing out these cast iron statements when the situation is actually pretty uncertain.

Personally when trying to work out how deadly this thing is, it's worth looking at a few things:

* How long has the virus been widespread?

* What's the current rate of increase in the country? 

* What's the level of testing?

2 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

The % is unknown and will be probably forever realistically, but surely all can agree now that this is clearly a very dangerous disease.

Depending on your definition of very dangerous, not really. The actual death rate will be lower than the death rate for the country that has carried out the most tests, so it will be lower than 1%.

My personal definition of very dangerous doesn’t cover things that have a less than 1% chance of killing you, but you may categorise things differently to me.

Yes but is 6% of the confirmed cases in Italy being fatal not a bit concerning? China’s numbers are unbelievably skewed and you don’t have to be a tin foil theorist to realise that. A country like Italy should be presenting a more accurate view of what’s actually happening.

Did you look at the link myself and @stuartbert two hats posted? Italy aren’t doing extensive testing. 

Yes, it's concerning. However, I'm inclined to put more faith in the country that's doing over five times the amount of testing.

This shit's complicated and uncertain. We're not in a position to make such definitive statements about which countries are lying.