Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I always (now seemingly incorrectly) assumed viruses like colds, flu etc were more prevalent in the Winter because were all stuffed inside places more often  and for longer with no windows open, plus being cold lowers your immune system so makes you more susceptible to catching stuff? 

Having not studied immunology for nearly 20 years, and not understanding it then either, this is what I’ve commonly thought too! 

15 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I see zero mathematics and tenuous logic. Lots of wild assumptions, I'll give you that at any point the number of confirmed cases will be less than the actual number of cases but 319 confirmed means 7k infected? That's pulling numbers out of the air. Do you believe the 100k cases worldwide is actually wrong by the same margin and is actually 2.2 million?

Completely out the air - quoted in anger from whatever post I was replying to. I do need to take a break from this thread - I'm going down the scaremongering route now - we'll see how it all plays out in a few weeks. 

5 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Having not studied immunology for nearly 20 years, and not understanding it then either, this is what I’ve commonly thought too! 

Well we may be right! This is what I’d always just assumed, but I’ve read all sorts of stuff recently that may or may not be correct, someone on here posted that UV light kills bacteria and hence viruses struggle more in the summer? Who knows, I do know I used to get colds a bit too regularly, and I’d still get them in the summer.

42 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Have you been to northern Italy in the winter?

You lot are hilarious.

How about Iran, Spain, Singapore, Malaysia, Bahrain, Egypt, Lebanon etc etc etc.

Surely if hot weather stopped it it'd only be prevalent in cold climates, like northern Italy obviously 😒 

3 minutes ago, SteveTLizard said:

You lot are hilarious.

How about Iran, Spain, Singapore, Malaysia, Bahrain, Egypt, Lebanon etc etc etc.

Surely if hot weather stopped it it'd only be prevalent in cold climates, like northern Italy obviously 😒 

Tehran saw highs of a whopping great 15°C today. Winter is still winter even in hot places.

7 minutes ago, SteveTLizard said:

You lot are hilarious.

Just playing Devil's advocate here:

Iran's outbreak started in Qom, who had relatively cold temperatures at the time.

The European outbreak (including Spain) can be largely blamed on traveller's from Northern Italy. Granted, they do have widespread community spread now, although I think more so in the north of Spain as opposed to the hotter south.

Singapore and Malaysia have actually contained the disease fairly well. In Malaysia, their status worsened considerably over the weekend. A lot of new cases in SE Asia though are attributed to European travellers.

Bahrain, Lebanon and Egypt have had issues from Iran, but have seen much slower growth rates than Norway, Sweden and Iceland for example.

We don't know if warmer temperatures will help things, but at the same time, from the available data, we can't say that they won't improve things.

Edited by northernringo

• Whitty says soon coronavirus will spread “really quite fast”.
  • Whitty says within about 10 to 14 days the government will advise people with even minor respiratory tract infections to self-isolate. But is because by that point the chances of their having coronavirus will be much higher than they are now.

8 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Whitty says within about 10 to 14 days the government will advise people with even minor respiratory tract infections to self-isolate.

Has Whitty told people what the difference between a respiratory tract infection and a cold is and how will the average person know what’s wrong?

Being able to self diagnose and isolate is going to be a fantastic help to avoid strain on the NHS but the people need to know what symptoms to look for and at what point they will need additional care. 

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

That’s just reminded me how irritating it is when people say they’ve got/had the flu when it was just a cold, or people who say they’ve got a migraine when it’s just a headache 

Almost as irritating as people who get really smug and say "oooh, you didn't have the flu, if you'd have the flu you'd know about it", as if influenza is some sort of rare tropical disease nobody ever gets.  You can have a mild case of the flu!

I got told this a while ago, if you’re ill with cold/flu symptoms and you spot a £20 outside on the floor, if you can make the effort to get out of bed and pick it up you have a cold. 

I’m not sure if I agree with it completely after all I am a Yorkshireman and £20 is a lot of brass.