Jimbojam

Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

57 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Quick question. I've been feeling pretty ill these past few months, it's a mix of symptoms that seems to change randomly , but I haven't felt "healthy" in a while. There's insomnia but also severe fatigue (alternates), overwhelming depression and anxiety to the point where minor things are making me panic, breathing feeling "difficult", coughing fits that make me vomit sometimes, etc.  I know it's unlikely to be Coronavirus though because I've had it before that all started.

Should I still go see a doctor? I keep telling myself that they'll be too busy dealing with all this Coronavirus crap which is putting me off going =\

Yes! I think that one of the risks of coronavirus is that people who are sick with something else don't get treated because health systems are overwhelmed or even because people perceive them to be overwhelmed. They're not overwhelmed here yet - you should definitely go x

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

On a side note isn't it weird to have everyone talking about hand sanitiser all the time? Usually something fairly unique to my festival experience.

I also thought this!

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Quick question. I've been feeling pretty ill these past few months, it's a mix of symptoms that seems to change randomly , but I haven't felt "healthy" in a while. There's insomnia but also severe fatigue (alternates), overwhelming depression and anxiety to the point where minor things are making me panic, breathing feeling "difficult", coughing fits that make me vomit sometimes, etc.  I know it's unlikely to be Coronavirus though because I've had it before that all started.

Should I still go see a doctor? I keep telling myself that they'll be too busy dealing with all this Coronavirus crap which is putting me off going =\

I would 100% speak to the health service. It sounds like a fair amount of what you’re going through could also be on the mental side (as opposed to physical illness). If it’s impacting your day to day life then it’s worth a try.

if anything, they could probably give you coping strategies until you feel like you’re in a better place again. 

There’s a lot going on in the world right now but you have to look out for yourself first. Hope you feel better soon 😀

Edited by discgoesmic

13 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Yes! I think that one of the risks of coronavirus is that people who are sick with something else don't get treated because health systems are overwhelmed or even because people perceive them to be overwhelmed. They're not overwhelmed here yet - you should definitely go x

Agreed. They probably will be overwhelmed later, so @Gilgamesh69 should go now whilst there is still capacity.

South Korean death toll is remarkabley low compared with Italy... Age of population? 

6 minutes ago, pryce said:

South Korean death toll is remarkabley low compared with Italy... Age of population? 

They are doing vast amounts of testing, more than most places. Picking up a lot of the infections that are going under the radar elsewhere...

On the alcohol hand cleaning, I had some methanol and my chemist son said, no, that's absorbed through the skin and will do you in. So stick to ethanol.

10 minutes ago, pryce said:

I'd guess higher testing rates:

Country
Tests Performed Tests per Million People
Population

South Korea
Italy

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/

Edit: which is why I think America has a worse problem than they think.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
America

3 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

On the alcohol hand cleaning, I had some methanol and my chemist son said, no, that's absorbed through the skin and will do you in. So stick to ethanol.

Soap! Washing your hands properly with soap also works! :)

• Upvote 1

The American healthcare system will be hit hard by this. I actually think America could be one of the worst affected countries by this when this is all over.

4 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Yep...stay away from methanol.  As little as 10ml ingested can cause permanent optic nerve damage and it also affects central nervous system.  The vapour when burned is nasty too. I used to run 80% methanol, 10% acetone, 10% petrol in a hill climb single seater and would always wear a mask when warming up.  More recently theories about it being carcinogenic have been somewhat disproved but it's still nasty stuff if not handled correctly.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

On a side note isn't it weird to have everyone talking about hand sanitiser all the time? Usually something fairly unique to my festival experience.

I was thinking this. If I go through my back pack and all my old festival bags that are in the loft I bet I could find 5 or 6 unused ones and the same again half empty

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The American healthcare system will be hit hard by this. I actually think America could be one of the worst affected countries by this when this is all over.

I'm inclined to agree. This is one of those times where "every man for themselves" doesn't work very well.

Won’t a quarantine of an area just force mass movement of those people before the quarantine is in effect, thus spreading the virus even more so? Genuine question.

9 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Soap! Washing your hands properly with soap also works! :)

I think the (repeated) point is that it's not always easy to get to soap and water if you're out and about.  No one is suggesting we have a litre of hooch sitting by the bathroom tap.

• Upvote 2

This could be the wake up call America needs. I doubt it will make a difference though. It will always be profits over people. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Won’t a quarantine of an area just force mass movement of those people before the quarantine is in effect, thus spreading the virus even more so? Genuine question.

You'd hope that measures to restrict movement would be put in place simultaneous to an announcement.

3 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I think the (repeated) point is that it's not always easy to get to soap and water if you're out and about.  No one is suggesting we have a litre of hooch sitting by the bathroom tap.

Agreed, it was more of a reaction to use of methanol which, as you say, is dangerous.

1 minute ago, March Hare said:

Agreed, it was more of a reaction to use of methanol which, as you say, is dangerous.

No worries.  By the way....what's the general atmos like in Manchester with all this?  We're due up there on Saturday for a Corrie tour (Xmas gift for MrsP) and an overnight in Portland St.....I'm guessing much like anywhere else folks are just getting on with things pretty much as normal?

3 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

You'd hope that measures to restrict movement would be put in place simultaneous to an announcement.

You wonder this in regard to certain events.

For instance, Formula 1 has a huge presence in northern Italy - 2 teams are outright based there, as is the team's sole tyre supplier, and a huge amount of people are required from each to get to a racetrack and get the damn cars running, and in the past, there have been illnesses and viruses spread among that group at events. So I'm honestly a little surprised the season so far seems to be proceeding as normal and everyone's en-route to Melbourne & then Bahrain for the opening 2 races of the year, even as other motorsports like Formula E and MotoGP have pulled events. Yet here we are.

2 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

No worries.  By the way....what's the general atmos like in Manchester with all this?  We're due up there on Saturday for a Corrie tour (Xmas gift for MrsP) and an overnight in Portland St.....I'm guessing much like anywhere else folks are just getting on with things pretty much as normal?

Business as usual, was out in Revolution, Roxy Ball Room etc on Thursday and loads of people out and about. 

If you are dressed up go for a cocktail in 20 Stories. It’s fancy.

Edited by March Hare
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

You wonder this in regard to certain events.

For instance, Formula 1 has a huge presence in northern Italy - 2 teams are outright based there, as is the team's sole tyre supplier, and a huge amount of people are required from each to get to a racetrack and get the damn cars running, and in the past, there have been illnesses and viruses spread among that group at events. So I'm honestly a little surprised the season so far seems to be proceeding as normal and everyone's en-route to Melbourne & then Bahrain for the opening 2 races of the year, even as other motorsports like Formula E and MotoGP have pulled events. Yet here we are.

Vietnam is considering banning anyone whose been to Italy recently. This means Ferrari will not be allowed to race there. 

22 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Absolutely, this could very well be the chickens coming home to roost for their awful system.

This could well be true , but as always it will be the poorest members of society who suffer most

The other half has a three week trip to Italy booked for the start of June (then coming over to meet me In Frome so I can take her to her first Glastonbury for her birthday). 

She’ll be exclusively in the south of the country so we’re hoping this shutdown in the north has the desired effect. It’s drastic but large scale lockdowns could be what it takes.