Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

5 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

I don't think so. It was getting a point where the outbreak was threatening to get out of control. It seems sensible to me.

Exactly. Everyone thought it could only happen in China - they shut down the largest population and second biggest global economy for Christ’s sake. This thing is clearly extremely serious and they know they can’t cope with a massive outbreak, as health care immediately overwhelmed even at start of outbreak. Government’s just wouldn’t take this action unless it was extremely serious. The usual playbook is to keep everyone calm and carry on. This type of action doesn’t keep people calm. 

Tbf, I’m generally not the worrying type but I can just see a mass overreaction coming from the Government.

Due to that I really don’t seem to be able to get excited at all about in and the poster drop.  

Fingers crossed I’m overthinking it.  

The danger for G is that we are too far behind Italy and that when we get to they stage they’re at it will be right in the middle of any similar plans. The measure they’ve put in place are happing now and are due to run until April, so if Glastonbury was happing in Italy it wouldn't be affected.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

More than the standard seasonal flu numbers.

How much bog roll is in your house right now?

Hmm I don’t agree with the flu comparisons. We haven’t seen the full effect of this, so it’s wrong to belittle it but at the same time mass panic is clearly trickling down. More people die of car crashes at the moment than nuclear weapons, but I’m still scared of nuclear weapons.

• Upvote 1

Quick question. I've been feeling pretty ill these past few months, it's a mix of symptoms that seems to change randomly , but I haven't felt "healthy" in a while. There's insomnia but also severe fatigue (alternates), overwhelming depression and anxiety to the point where minor things are making me panic, breathing feeling "difficult", coughing fits that make me vomit sometimes, etc.  I know it's unlikely to be Coronavirus though because I've had it before that all started.

Should I still go see a doctor? I keep telling myself that they'll be too busy dealing with all this Coronavirus crap which is putting me off going =\

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

Quick question. I've been feeling pretty ill these past few months, it's a mix of symptoms that seems to change randomly , but I haven't felt "healthy" in a while. There's insomnia but also severe fatigue (alternates), overwhelming depression and anxiety to the point where minor things are making me panic, breathing feeling "difficult", coughing fits that make me vomit sometimes, etc.  I know it's unlikely to be Coronavirus though because I've had it before that all started.

Should I still go see a doctor? I keep telling myself that they'll be too busy dealing with all this Coronavirus crap which is putting me off going =\

Should go for a check up but tell them it’s not urgent when booking, then if they too busy they will bump you.

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Yes go, get your bloods tested it might be something easily treatable which isn’t worth the suffering for. 

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Of course you should 

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Hmm I don’t agree with the flu comparisons. We haven’t seen the full effect of this, so it’s wrong to belittle it but at the same time mass panic is clearly trickling down. More people die of car crashes at the moment than nuclear weapons, but I’m still scared of nuclear weapons.

I’ve just had a look through @Dusk1983’s posting history - it’s nothing but negative shite. Even before the virus it’s just moaning.

I will treat the negativity and deliberate scaremongering with the contempt it deserves.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

and you don't take ebola seriously either, because so far it's killed less than flu...? And you don't take the shortage of NHS resources for covid-19 seriously, because it (just about) copes with flu?

Some people are going over the top with panic. Some people are going the other way. ;) 

Edited by eFestivals

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

and you don't take ebola seriously either, because so far it's killed less than flu...? And you don't take the shortage of NHS resources for covid-19 seriously, because it (just about) copes with flu?

Some people are going over the top with panic. Some people are going the other way. ;) 

I don’t take eBola seriously as a threat because it’s almost impossible to catch in this country.

48 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Feels like a bit of an overreaction in Italy.

Whether it is an over-reaction or not, I think they've ultimately reached the point where they feel they had no choice but to try something desperate. 1,000 new cases in a single day is not a sign this thing is under control out there, along with an increased number of deaths and issues with hospital capacity, and that's even before France and Germany are reporting numbers slowly creeping ever upwards. Though I'm aware it is plausible this is being picked up due to them testing more aggressively.

I think the UK is probably going to be switching to delay measures very quickly. Much as I'd prefer not to, I don't think this is a thing that is going to be contained.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

One of the rare* times I wish I could upvote admin.

*ish ;)

• Upvote 2

Just now, charlierc said:

Whether it is an over-reaction or not, I think they've ultimately reached the point where they feel they had no choice but to try something desperate. 

their health service is in meltdown due to overload.

It's that side of things which is going to impact on the UK the hardest.

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Seriously? You have a virus with a higher death and infection rate than seasonal flu and you won't take it seriously until it's reached the same absolute numbers? Do you accept that if it did reach those levels then it would be a considerably bigger deal than the flu at that point?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

their health service is in meltdown due to overload.

It's that side of things which is going to impact on the UK the hardest.

Agreed - we're all aware the NHS has problems managing demand, which was particularly acute during the snowstorms 2 years ago and which hasn't really seemed to have got much better from there. Resource management is going to be crucial, which among other things means the jackasses stealing hand sanitiser and other equipment from hospitals really need to pack it in.

But equally, I'm not sure any countries' health system is set up to cope with a sudden influx in demand due to a brand new condition affecting a wide variety of people, even if it is ultimately regarded as not generally as awful as some of the pandemics you see in trashy movies. The editorials from Italian doctors I saw last night shared a few pages back did paint a pretty awful picture with stories of overload, particularly for ICU and respiratory doctors.

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Seasonal flu numbers would be off the chart if we didn’t have mass vaccination of at-risk groups. It’s endemic and a huge problem every year. That’s exactly what health authorities all over are trying to avoid. On the plus side, swine flu had similar “reasonable worst case” assessment to this virus and it didn’t pan out that way. Still early days!