Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

One thing that might benefit the festival  is if it gets to a point where It can’t be contained anymore, the ideal time to get it would be summer when the other illness are at their  lowest point, instead of stalling it into next winter when there could be thousands more infected, plus other diseases out there, Also with people attending from all over the UK, if they fall ill and require hospital treatment, then it ain’t just one hospital dealing with it, it will be spread about the UK, all this only works if the disease, can’t be caught again. I’ve only read one story of someone getting it again.

I just don’t see the logic of pulling major summer events prematurely, no one knows where the UK will be at in June, there is every chance the virus threat is minimal by then. 

Not wishing for it, but I can see Paul McCartney opting/forced to stay away, at 77 and with older people much more susceptible, it’s not a sensible risk to take.

2 minutes ago, waynewdk said:

One thing that might benefit the festival  is if it gets to a point where It can’t be contained anymore, the ideal time to get it would be summer when the other illness are at their  lowest point, instead of stalling it into next winter when there could be thousands more infected, plus other diseases out there, Also with people attending from all over the UK, if they fall ill and require hospital treatment, then it ain’t just one hospital dealing with it, it will be spread about the UK, all this only works if the disease, can’t be caught again. I’ve only read one story of someone getting it again.

Corona has already become overtly political - the government are seeing it as a measure of their ability to protect and govern.

20 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Go or no go in about 3 weeks then. I'd say its looking unlikely. Anyway, sure the current 'government' will think nothing of cancelling that 'lefty festival' that's been an ideological thorn in their side since the Thatcher years.

It'd also mean pissing off the strawberries and Pimm's brigade at Wimbledon tho.

If glasto is getting cancelled then all events of a similar nature / size will surely be cancelled as well? I don't think the UK is anywhere near that point yet. Oddly enough I think the tories will be less likely to pull the plug than some might think. There' a fine balance to be struck between protecting the public from a virus which only poses a threat to a select group and not triggering a recession by shutting down economic activity.

Just now, Pinhead said:

And frankly the Tories dont give a shit about Glasto - if pulling it makes them look strong and decisive they will pull the plug...

They can't just pull the plug on one event selectively. If a decision is made that affects glasto it'll affect all similar sized and smaller events as well.

1 minute ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

It'd also mean pissing off the strawberries and Pimm's brigade at Wimbledon tho.

Maybe, tho a London event full of the sort of people the Tories love, less at risk maybe. They could always do it by video too.

I still don’t think the penny has dropped here as to how bad this is likely to get, particularly for our emergency services. Any available medical professional and police/fire are going to be required over the next period of time. They are already stretched to the bone and a large proportion of them are likely to get sick. They’ll be much more needed elsewhere than a field in Somerset this year I fear.

1 minute ago, Madyaker said:

They can't just pull the plug on one event selectively. If a decision is made that affects glasto it'll affect all similar sized and smaller events as well.

I imagine they’ll find a way to pull events like Glasto, but ones like Wimbledon will still go on. So all of them and their rich mates can enjoy a good spot of tennis and bubbly. Couldn’t have Will and Kate missing a day out on Centre Court now. 

1 minute ago, Madyaker said:

True, though its a huge event with people attending from all over the UK and abroad and they may triage it on the basis of the public economic capital it generates, which due to its charity obligations rather than media or gambling ones, may be reduced.