Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

2 minutes ago, Smeble said:

I think balance week will be telling, I think that’s the deadline they will have set them self to make a decision. 

would they consider pushing back the festival to later in the summer?

Nah - their key staff may well be elsewhere on other projects.

1 minute ago, topmarksbri said:

I think balance week will be telling, I think that’s the deadline they will have set them self to make a decision. 

would they consider pushing back the festival to later in the summer?

I think you're probably right, ticket balance week comes at a suitable go/no-go point, as if we are to have a country wide epidemic it'll be very clear by that point. 

I'm not convinced pushing this back gives much benefit, everything I've seen predicts a peak in June, decreasing through September before a second wave is predicted to start ramping back up at end of the year....too small a window & too big a risk to commit all the expense in trying to reschedule .

4 minutes ago, Lycra said:

The government will cancel events when it is advised the risk of letting the event go ahead is to onerous, not for political reasons.

This is the Conservative Party we are talking about, everything they do is for political reasons. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m not in denial about the virus, I understand how virus’s spread, I get the possible severity I just think the talk of cancelling events that are months away is hyperbolic. I don’t mean to sound dismissive.

People will still continue to go to events I believe, they aren’t going to stay inside until this dies down. Come on to say otherwise is just silly, take this place as an example it seems mostly everyone would still go to a music festival if it’s on so I dare say heading to a cinema wouldn’t be too much of an issue either. That is unless are beloved government decide to step in.

It's all about risk management. The next phase of the government plan is mitigation and delay. Limiting the size of mass gatherings could be crucial to this and it slows the rate of infection, which in turn puts less strain on the NHS. It also means more people will be in work and not off sick. 

1 minute ago, AlexOvd said:

What the fuck? If I am understanding correctly they will decide in three weeks if the festival will take place? At this stage? 

In three weeks infection rates could peak. It will probably be as bad as it’s ever going to get. Could be a good time to make a judgement. 

2 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

What the fuck? If I am understanding correctly they will decide in three weeks if the festival will take place? At this stage? 

It will shape thinking and if too many things stack up in the negative tray the event could be pulled. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

In three weeks infection rates could peak. It will probably be as bad as it’s ever going to get. Could be a good time to make a judgement. 

That’s optimistic hoping it will peak in 3 weeks, as the strategy is containment, to delay the peak until warmer months when the NHS can cope better.