Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

14 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

they really aren't: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

click the UK on the map

However are non-severe cases listed in the total numbers of those with the virus anyway?

This hasn't been updated for the UK today.

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

recovered must be waaaay more than 18. The illness period for the non-severe cases is less than 2 weeks.

Some countries are very slow/careful at announcing recoveries.

France, Germany, South Korea and Japan are all examples of this.

Some countries like Iran are very quick at it.

Typically though, once the ball starts rolling with recoveries it will continue to roll . 10 of these 18 are from the second wave of infections.

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Get that out of your head, the festival can do what they see fit with the balance money from a tax point of view, keep it or refund it.

Independent of that the festival could if they so wished and decided it was appropriate, offer some sort of presale for people who were successful for 2020.

The tax implications don’t need to come into it, the two things are not inextricably linked, the festival can do what it wants with regards to both.

For what it’s worth I don’t think they’d bother with some sort of presale, but tax implications don’t need to prevent them from doing so!

As an accountant and auditor, I would assume that if the event was to get cancelled or postponed with the option of allowing people to hold their deposits to next year, there would be no tax implication due to the funds being related to an event in a completely different tax year. The funds won’t be chargeable for corporation tax purposes and would be classed as a liability on the balance sheet as deferred income with a disclosure requirement in line with post balance sheet events policy. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sdsm123 said:

As an accountant and auditor, I would assume that if the event was to get cancelled or postponed with the option of allowing people to hold their deposits to next year, there would be no tax implication due to the funds being related to an event in a completely different tax year. The funds won’t be chargeable for corporation tax purposes and would be classed as a liability on the balance sheet as deferred income with a disclosure requirement in line with post balance sheet events policy. 

Interesting, thanks. I'd been presuming there'd be a tax liability too.

21 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

If we've got a less bad strain then people would be recovering more, and not less. And there'd be similarly awful news here if no one was recovering. 

The numbers must be wrong. No recoveries in 5 days is strongly suggestive that they are.

Well based on the figures you quoted earlier, how do we know when the ones who are recovering at home have recovered or not? 

5 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Yes. I know the person who is responsible for sanitation etc. Two or three weeks ago they ordered 20k x 5l of sanitiser. Normally it comes from China but this time had to be ordered from elsewhere.

Update. I coincidentally saw them again today. Turns out they could source the hand sanitiser from China after all and actually ordered double the amount!  It will keep for years so no problems there.

They also said that at the mo the festival is going ahead as expected.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 20

1 minute ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Update. I coincidentally saw them again today. Turns out they could source the hand sanitiser from China after all and actually ordered double the amount!  It will keep for years so no problems there.

This is the kind of content the crowds are here for 

Assuming the worst happens which artists would be likely to carry over and which will be lost?

Kendrick tends to tour a new release for 12-18 months so with his tour due to start in the summer it’s not unreasonable to think he could be back next year at the tail end of the tour.

Swift - Likewise

Macca/Ross - These are the problem ones. Ignoring the issue around age they’ll have more rigid touring schedules, breaks, etc. Diana might not be willing to travel next year... These seem like the ones we could lose, at least Reg is available next year.

British based acts like PSB/Noel/Dua Lipa, etc shouldn’t be too difficult to reschedule.

Edited by Hugh Jass

22 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Out of upvotes myself but if this post doesn’t get at least 500 upvotes we’ll have failed as both a forum and a nation.

I’m here for the positivity.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

If we've got a less bad strain then people would be recovering more, and not less. And there'd be similarly awful news here if no one was recovering. 

The numbers must be wrong. No recoveries in 5 days is strongly suggestive that they are.

It's got to be reluctance to say recovered after the doubt has been put on about how long it stays, and potential (unconfirmed) for reinfection. 

If the strains are different the we need to be very robust in the next couple of weeks because we'll have imported a lot from Italy in the last few weeks 

2 hours ago, TownesMR said:

lowkey sounds like racism to me

Honestly its stupidity in this case (mixed in with Northern small town ingrained racism of course) - she just hasn't read the news and thinks it only comes from China still. 

Also heard someone working at the post office today say "it's like its natures way of bumping off the older generation". She looked about 60 herself...

Lads, on a more positive note we are being asked to work at home next week, which means I can get utterly bolloxd on my beloved Guinness in Dublin on St Patrick's night without having to worry about grovelling into work the next morning. Every cloud so