Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

2 minutes ago, Henrik said:

I wouldn't even know where to go. I wouldn't want to leave the house to be honest. 

Not sure about the Isle of Wight but in Northern Ireland (and I assume England, Scotland and Wales) there are drive through testing facilities at Hospitals.

Drive through, then drive home. Get your results in a few hours.

I would do that if I thought I had it.

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

Why wouldn't you?

It sounds annoying, but it's actually a common response people have--it's like when people refuse to see a doctor or have a test even though they know somethings not right with them- anxiety is tough to manage, when people are scared a lot will go into denial or 'head in sand' mode. Others won't get tested because they don't want to cause a fuss or inconvenience the doctors, or think there's no point- it's probably nothing! 

2 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Not sure about the Isle of Wight but in Northern Ireland (and I assume England, Scotland and Wales) there are drive through testing facilities at Hospitals.

What if you can't drive?

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

recovered must be waaaay more than 18. The illness period for the non-severe cases is less than 2 weeks.

they really aren't: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

click the UK on the map

However are non-severe cases listed in the total numbers of those with the virus anyway?

Edited by 5co77ie

1 minute ago, lukethekid said:

If the government did ban gatherings and festivals and whatnot, could they possibly postpone the festival until later in to the summer, August time? 

I don’t think Glastonbury will. Simply because then Glastonbury will have to get thousands of artists to try and play in August. Many of them won’t be able to. There are a lot of late summer festivals and gigs and Glasto will simply lose half its lineup to them.

2 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

If the government did ban gatherings and festivals and whatnot, could they possibly postpone the festival until later in to the summer, August time? 

Even if they had the land, that seems like way too short of a time to book a new lineup, hire new workers, etc.

recovered must be waaaay more than 18. The illness period for the non-severe cases is less than 2 weeks.

Nah I saw on American news a man has recovered from all symptoms but is still testing positive. Apparently you can still be contagious and carry the virus once all symptoms have gone.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I don’t think Glastonbury will. Simply because then Glastonbury will have to get thousands of artists to try and play in August. Many of them won’t be able to. There are a lot of late summer festivals and gigs and Glasto will simply lose half its lineup to them.

I don't think they'd have trouble finding bands to do it. It might not be to the level that it would usually be, but you could still have a good ol' time.

4 minutes ago, northernringo said:

But if I'm feeling like crap with flu-like symptoms I'm not getting in the car and driving anywhere. I'm staying in bed. I assumed that's what most people would do. 

Just now, 5co77ie said:

but that's only as good as the data they have. 

The first case - geezer from brighton - was clear and out of hospital before the first batch of wutan people in quarantine in the UK were out of quarantine.

I can't really believe the very first case was hugely exceptional.

1 minute ago, lukethekid said:

I don't think they'd have trouble finding bands to do it. It might not be to the level that it would usually be, but you could still have a good ol' time.

I don't think they'd have enough confidence to hold the event only 2 months after they will have cancelled, if that's the case. Too close to be certain it could even go ahead for August if it couldn't in June.

The first case - geezer from brighton - was clear and out of hospital before the first batch of wutan people in quarantine in the UK were out of quarantine.

their data source is the WHO - assuming the government are doing their job correctly and reporting accurate figures to WHO then yes that's the sum total (though as you pointed out mild cases may not be reported to the WHO in the first place)

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've just found a quote from 5 days ago that says...

Of the 116 confirmed cases across the UK since the outbreak began in late January, 18 have recovered, 52 are still being cared for in hospital and 45 are being treated at home.

No one has recovered in the last 5 days? Nah, not having that. 

3 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

I don't think they'd have enough confidence to hold the event only 2 months after they will have cancelled, if that's the case. Too close to be certain it could even go ahead for August if it couldn't in June.

Well they’d need assurances from the government that cancellations would only be for a specific timeframe 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

We have family in Italy, as you know, first hand news from them is awful, truly awful - yet here we appear to e greatly downplaying it, it's possible, and I believe Monday's press conference suggested it, that we have a different strain here (or differing strains)

1 minute ago, 5co77ie said:

their data source is the WHO - assuming the government are doing their job correctly and reporting accurate figures to WHO then yes that's the sum total (though as you pointed out mild cases may not be reported to the WHO in the first place)

I'm guessing that testing for recovery is at the back of the testing queue or something.

Most articles seem to suggest around 2-4 weeks to recover in serious cases - a month ago we only had what around 8 cases so it's quite possible, it wouldn't change much to begin with the numbers have risen a lot in recent days.

Edited by 5co77ie

1 minute ago, 5co77ie said:

We have family in Italy, as you know, first hand news from them is awful, truly awful - yet here we appear to e greatly downplaying it, it's possible, and I believe Monday's press conference suggested it, that we have a different strain here (or differing strains)

If we've got a less bad strain then people would be recovering more, and not less. And there'd be similarly awful news here if no one was recovering. 

The numbers must be wrong. No recoveries in 5 days is strongly suggestive that they are.

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Nah I saw on American news a man has recovered from all symptoms but is still testing positive. Apparently you can still be contagious and carry the virus once all symptoms have gone.

One of the Irish cases was on the radio yesterday. He's in isolation in hospital. Feeling fine, no symptoms anymore, just a bit bored being stuck in a room in hospital. They are testing him everyday, will only let him out when he tests negative for two consecutive days. 

If we've got a less bad strain then people would be recovering more, and not less. And there'd be similarly awful news here if no one was recovering. 

The numbers must be wrong. No recoveries in 5 days is strongly suggestive that they are.

hoping you're right - it doesn't appear to be a stat that's reported much though