Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

5 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

I don’t post much on here but read a lot, and I have to say the state of this thread is concerning. This website is usually a lovely antidote to the outside world and whether it’s thread about the state of the ground, or the weather, I love the build up to glasto on here. 

Obviously, I am aware that we are in slightly uncharted territory generally speaking around the world at the moment, but the bickering and sharp responses on this thread are out of order. None of us know how the next few months will play out, and if there are dark days ahead globally, realistically I don’t think many of us will be too concerned about Glastonbury going ahead. 

I want to be in those fields come June as much as anyone, but that fact is we just don’t know if we will be or not at the moment.  

So, I guess this is just a plea for people to stop talking in absolutes and shooting people down. It’s hard enough to keep a level head at the moment without this forum exacerbating everyone’s fears and anxieties.

stay cool ✌🏻

People are just stressed and anxious and just have incompatible processes for dealing with it (some need to stay negative, some need to prepare for the worst), so there will be some clashes-- I just look on it as everyone doing what they need to do, and that's okay! 

We're not in Lord of the Flies territory yet! 

7 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

I personally don't think they'll make a decision before balance payments. I think everything will happen as scheduled until we hear otherwise, which I don't currently expect to be before then. I am with you on tickets being moved to next year though. As an international traveler, for the festival to look back at all the people who might get screwed and say "try again suckers", would be shit.

Yeah I think balance payments will go ahead... there is still approx 3 months between that and the festival for them to come to a decision (or be forced by government) and pretty simple to issue refunds if needed.

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I spoke to a member of the McCartney family (not connected to Paul in anyway, actually McCartneys Family Butchers in Dublin), and he thinks the festival is going to be cancelled. 

I also have a mate called Ross (not related to Diana) but I haven't spoke to him in ages so I don't know what he thinks to be honest. I can text him and ask if people want?

I have just spoke to a lad called Ross McCartney in our work and he reckons its on. 

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Why?

Part of Matt's charm is his boundless enthusiasm for things, unfortunately this leads him to jump to conclusions very quickly wether that be about a rumoured band playing, a band he likes stature, the pope dying or the country being completely fucked. I doubt he's going to change any time soon so probably best get used to it.

I was at school during the Hong Kong flu outbreak in 1969. There were many deaths, in the thousands, attributed to it. All we were told was to stay in and take aspirin if you felt flu symptoms. The big difference is that there was no social media, newspapers weren’t as sensationalist as nowadays and no 24 hours news programmes desperate to fill air time. Maybe all the public info we get these days will help control the current outbreak. Just as long as we realise there are a lot of trolls and misinformation out there. 

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Why?

Because they are testing more people and the last time they tested lots of people it jumped pretty sharply. 

This is good news. I like it.

See you in June. Let’s just make sure the bands show up.

Surely the actual numbers of infected people are far higher. I mean how many people here would get tested if they had the symptoms? I know I wouldn't. I would bunker down, ride it out and hope I don't die. Plus the many people who would be asymptomatic. 

I would take a guess we are well into the thousands by now. 

7 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

a very quick google says that in Valencia today it's 18degrees, whereas in Madrid it's 21, so I'd be wary about attributing much to the weather without a lot more data.

Today, but not the days before and not in the incubation period that could have been easily in February. But anyway, it's just speaking without any proof or sense, just sharing that.

1 minute ago, Henrik said:

Surely the actual numbers of infected people are far higher. I mean how many people here would get tested if they had the symptoms? I know I wouldn't. I would bunker down, ride it out and hope I don't die. Plus the many people who would be asymptomatic. 

That would imply the virus is much more mild than suggested, wouldn't that make it pointless to cancel events?

4 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I was at school during the Hong Kong flu outbreak in 1969. There were many deaths, in the thousands, attributed to it. All we were told was to stay in and take aspirin if you felt flu symptoms. The big difference is that there was no social media, newspapers weren’t as sensationalist as nowadays and no 24 hours news programmes desperate to fill air time. Maybe all the public info we get these days will help control the current outbreak. Just as long as we realise there are a lot of trolls and misinformation out there. 

Yeah, it's a double edged sword, it has the potential to help or hinder things

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

The big difference is that there was no social media, newspapers weren’t as sensationalist as nowadays and no 24 hours news programmes desperate to fill air time

Nail hit squarely on the head there.  

Social media is a gift and a (big) curse. 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Me too! It's not great, but could have been worse

a 15% increase isn't too bad.  I was definitely expecting a bigger jump.  

Though there was a confirmed case in Aintree hospital yesterday (a mile away from my work) - A Doctor to boot.  Just hope that he didn't infect too many people.  Does feel all the more real now that cases are happening closer to me.

Just now, TownesMR said:

That would imply the virus is much more mild than suggested, wouldn't that make it pointless to cancel events?

Well they are saying it's very mild for about 80% of us. This is all about protecting the others who will either become extremely ill or die. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Henrik said:

They are starting to test all patients hospitalised with respiratory issues and not just patients suspected of having corona. This will likely increase the number of known cases. It will also mean more family members will need testing too. A sudden increase in numbers over the next few days doesn’t mean it’s spreading more it’s just because we’re getting a truer figure of the existing cases. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Why wouldn't you?