Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

It’s not untrue though, is it. Those “cretins” you unkindly describe might even benefit from being made aware of potential transmission points in the kind of publications they read. 

Very true - perhaps more than we know. My girlfriend's friend said "its fine as long as you stay away from Chinese people" a couple of days ago so they do need some fear put into them so they start to take it remotely seriously. Not racism, just astonishing levels of stupidity  and ignorance 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

My girlfriend's friend said "its fine as long as you stay away from Chinese people" a couple of days ago so they do need some fear put into them so they start to take it remotely seriously. Not racism, just astonishing levels of stupidity  and ignorance

lowkey sounds like racism to me

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Data is published around 2pm so expect it anytime. 

Delayed. Saving it for the evening news?

Sixth UK death. The deceased acquired the virus in the country with no history of travel.

Edited by Matt42

It's early at this stage but I like the direction of the infections of Spain as so far (1622) is showing that the regions more affected are more cold than the ones than have less cases. For example, Canary Islands where first exploded only has 25, Andalucia and Valencia where also was hitting first are in 75 and 50 without huge increases like Madrid (800), Basque Country [the city of Vitoria mainly] (200) or La Rioja (150), three regions that are way smaller than the previous ones.

Also Balearic Islands has just 13 cases.

It's just too early without any logic at this point, but would show that the weather helps somehow in the spread.

By the way, flights from and to Italy have been suspended by the Parlament until 25th March.

Edited by AlexOvd

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Very true - perhaps more than we know. My girlfriend's friend said "its fine as long as you stay away from Chinese people" a couple of days ago so they do need some fear put into them so they start to take it remotely seriously. Not racism, just astonishing levels of stupidity  and ignorance 

I mean, it is racism.  Ignorance and racism go hand in hand.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Glastonbury will not be an outlier with other large festivals cancelling all around. It will be cancelled. My pref would be for ticket holders to get a ticket for the next one automatically.

So far we've only seen cancellations very close to the festival dates and mostly in the US. I still think we need more time to be 100% on it.

2 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

So far we've only seen cancellations very close to the festival dates and mostly in the US. I still think we need more time to be 100% on it.

True. But the looming date when balances have to be paid is key.

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

If our numbers are around 450 I think we're following a similiar route to Italy but I could be getting that number wrong

We are currently at 321 cases and they have delayed today’s announcement. I’m expecting a huge jump.

50 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

My wife spoke to a member of the Eavis family (not linked to the festival in any way) and they said the festival was going to be cancelled. Whether they knew for sure or it was just their opinion, I don't know.

Which probably doesn't leave us any further forward really.

Its a shame you didn't find out if it was an opinion before posting, gonna set us all off again.

I don’t post much on here but read a lot, and I have to say the state of this thread is concerning. This website is usually a lovely antidote to the outside world and whether it’s thread about the state of the ground, or the weather, I love the build up to glasto on here. 

Obviously, I am aware that we are in slightly uncharted territory generally speaking around the world at the moment, but the bickering and sharp responses on this thread are out of order. None of us know how the next few months will play out, and if there are dark days ahead globally, realistically I don’t think many of us will be too concerned about Glastonbury going ahead. 

I want to be in those fields come June as much as anyone, but that fact is we just don’t know if we will be or not at the moment.  

So, I guess this is just a plea for people to stop talking in absolutes and shooting people down. It’s hard enough to keep a level head at the moment without this forum exacerbating everyone’s fears and anxieties.

stay cool ✌🏻

• Upvote 4

Just now, Wooderson said:

True. But the looming date when balances have to be paid is key.

I personally don't think they'll make a decision before balance payments. I think everything will happen as scheduled until we hear otherwise, which I don't currently expect to be before then. I am with you on tickets being moved to next year though. As an international traveler, for the festival to look back at all the people who might get screwed and say "try again suckers", would be shit.

Just now, Matt42 said:

We are currently at 321 cases and they have delayed today’s announcement. I’m expecting a huge jump.

They are also starting an increased testing regime as well so you’re right to expect a large increase in cases but it doesn’t mean it’s suddenly more widespread, they will just have a better understanding of how many cases there actually are. There is likely to be many undiagnosed cases which this new set of testing will find. 

1 minute ago, TownesMR said:

I personally don't think they'll make a decision before balance payments. I think everything will happen as scheduled until we hear otherwise, which I don't currently expect to be before then. I am with you on tickets being moved to next year though. As an international traveler, for the festival to look back at all the people who might get screwed and say "try again suckers", would be shit.

Im an international traveller also. If Coachella went ahead I would be far more confident. But they are the first domino to fall and the rest will follow suit.

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

They are also starting an increased testing regime as well so you’re right to expect a large increase in cases but it doesn’t mean it’s suddenly more widespread, they will just have a better understanding of how many cases there actually are. There is likely to be many undiagnosed cases which this new set of testing will find. 

Just updated

371. I’m ngl I was expecting it to jump to something like 500.

I spoke to a member of the McCartney family (not connected to Paul in anyway, actually McCartneys Family Butchers in Dublin), and he thinks the festival is going to be cancelled. 

I also have a mate called Ross (not related to Diana) but I haven't spoke to him in ages so I don't know what he thinks to be honest. I can text him and ask if people want?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

It's early at this stage but I like the direction of the infections of Spain as so far (1622) is showing that the regions more affected are more cold than the ones than have less cases. For example, Canary Islands where first exploded only has 25, Andalucia and Valencia where also was hitting first are in 75 and 50 without huge increases like Madrid (800), Basque Country [the city of Vitoria mainly] (200) or La Rioja (150), three regions that are way smaller than the previous ones.

Also Balearic Islands has just 13 cases.

It's just too early without any logic at this point, but would show that the weather helps somehow in the spread.

By the way, flights from and to Italy have been suspended by the Parlament until 25th March.

a very quick google says that in Valencia today it's 18degrees, whereas in Madrid it's 21, so I'd be wary about attributing much to the weather without a lot more data.