Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

I can’t be bothered to look into all the gig cancellations so far but from a quick look I can’t see anything cancelled past April.

Is it not fair to say we have absolutely no clue what will go ahead/be cancelled as far ahead as June yet and we should probably all just wait and see rather than shouting at each other as to why the other is wrong? 

5 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I can’t be bothered to look into all the gig cancellations so far but from a quick look I can’t see anything cancelled past April.

Is it not fair to say we have absolutely no clue what will go ahead/be cancelled as far ahead as June yet and we should probably all just wait and see rather than shouting at each other as to why the other is wrong? 

Yes. We need to hold tight for at least another month. The situation is changing so quickly, it's impossible to predict what will be happening in three weeks, let alone three months.

As of now the festival is happening and planning is in full flow. That's all we know.

Edited by jparx

6 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

That's a perfectly balanced and reasonable approach. Unfortunately 182 pages suggests it's unlikely to catch on... 🙄

ETA: I've now made it 183 pages... the irony does not escape me. 😂

Edited by jimmillen
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

You’re not seeing the wider picture sorry. A virus can do more damage than just killing people. It’s highly likely to put us into another recession, which we will be feeling the effects of longer than the virus.

Worrying about your own mortality is one of many issues i’m afraid.

But countermeasures could put us into a recession sooner, like most things its complicated and there aren't easy answers.

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yes. We need to hold tight for at least another month. The situation is changing so quickly, it's impossible to predict what will be happening in three weeks, let alone three months.

As of now the festival is happening and planning is in full flow. That's all we know.

You only need to look how quickly Italy went from 300 - 1700 in the course of a week to know how unpredictable it is. 

The festival is happening. I'm seeing Taylor Swift. 

My wife spoke to a member of the Eavis family (not linked to the festival in any way) and they said the festival was going to be cancelled. Whether they knew for sure or it was just their opinion, I don't know.

Which probably doesn't leave us any further forward really.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

You only need to look how quickly Italy went from 300 - 1700 in the course of a week to know how unpredictable it is. 

Repeat of the earlier graph but it’s showing thee clear predicted patterns based on how the early infections are managed. 

574B4085-8604-4974-AF48-42BCEEDB5498.jpeg.4bc235848ba151eb439f5ffd792cc7e4.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Errors with my phone sorry.

I was going to say that artists are starting to pull major dates and will probably continue to do so. Other artists will follow suit if big guns are already doing it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51814696

Anything cancelled beyond the next couple of weeks?

6 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

My wife spoke to a member of the Eavis family (not linked to the festival in any way) and they said the festival was going to be cancelled. Whether they knew for sure or it was just their opinion, I don't know.

Reported as spam 

:) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

The comparisons with Italy don't make much sense - nor do those saying we are two weeks behind Italy.

Italy's outbreak happened at the same time as the first large outbreaks outside China (Iran and South Korea). None of these three countries were ready for mass outbreak nor had they been preparing for it (particularly in the case of Italy and Iran) because at this point it was fairly well contained within China. No country in Europe had over 20 cases. Then it exploded in Italy without warning.

The UK on the other hand, and the rest of Europe, have had the time since the Italy outbreak to prepare itself. That allows it to take measures (such as widespread testing, etc) to reduce the speed of the spread. Italy didn't get a chance to do that.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Yep.

And going back to @northernringo's update - it's encouraging to see cases decreasing in those original towns where the virus broke out in Italy. That's taken 3(?) weeks to go from outbreak to starting to decline. Still a long way to go, but if we're thinking the peak will be about three weeks from the outbreak, that gives us plenty of time for things to improve.

13 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

If the Eavis' knew it was going to be cancelled right now, I'm sure they would've told us and not had a statement about still moving forward.

52 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Found the next thing to panic over. 

04CB428B-1AD3-4200-8012-DE123F7C5388.thumb.jpeg.41cc41776e1b38d29bdbd5c365129e74.jpeg

I'm still traumatised by that study a few years ago that found that most people's smart phones had traces of faecial matter on them-what is peoples aversion to washing their hands?! 

40 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Would you choose to give your ticket money to the charities Glastonbury support if they gave you that option in the event of cancellation? 

I'd support it going to UK food bank charities, who are going to be the people who I believe could best use the funds at this time.  This isn't some sort of Brexiteer "whaa! why are we sending money to <insert nation>?" kind of thing, but more that I feel that there will be a greater need for this provision and we should all be thinking about providing towards it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

'm still traumatised by that study a few years ago that found that most people's smart phones had traces of faecial matter on them-what is peoples aversion to washing their hands?! 

There certainly is a lot of shite on the internet, that’s for sure. A helluva lot on this thread. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I'm still traumatised by that study a few years ago that found that most people's smart phones had traces of faecial matter on them-what is peoples aversion to washing their hands?! 

Some of the fecal matter probably comes from microscopic bits of poo which shoot up out of the bowl during flushing. It can get on toothbrushes and towels too. I always have both lids closed after use to help stop this as much as poss. Plus it just looks nicer too!

4 minutes ago, sime said:

Some of the fecal matter probably comes from microscopic bits of poo which shoot up out of the bowl during flushing. It can get on toothbrushes and towels too. I always have both lids closed after use to help stop this as much as poss. Plus it just looks nicer too!

That's reassuring 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, LostHorizon said:

This thread gives me such a headache.

FFS, Glasto is 3 months away. There is absolutely zero point in worrying about it now. If it get cancelled, it gets cancelled. It'll bit shit for us all but we'll all get over it.

However right now, Glasto is still on so we should be spending our time getting excited, predicting acts or reminiscing of previous visits to the farm in the other threads.

This doom and gloom is not what Glasto is about*

*unless we're talking about the weather

Ermm. You've not be round here much have you.

25 minutes ago, northernringo said:

The comparisons with Italy don't make much sense - nor do those saying we are two weeks behind Italy.

Italy's outbreak happened at the same time as the first large outbreaks outside China (Iran and South Korea). None of these three countries were ready for mass outbreak nor had they been preparing for it (particularly in the case of Italy and Iran) because at this point it was fairly well contained within China. No country in Europe had over 20 cases. Then it exploded in Italy without warning.

The UK on the other hand, and the rest of Europe, have had the time since the Italy outbreak to prepare itself. That allows it to take measures (such as widespread testing, etc) to reduce the speed of the spread. Italy didn't get a chance to do that.

Oh im not saying we'll turn out like Italy I'm just pointing to that we have no idea on how quick this could keep spreading 

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

Oh im not saying we'll turn out like Italy I'm just pointing to that we have no idea on how quick this could keep spreading 

I hope that we’ve managed to contain the virus enough so that we don’t jump as fast as Italy.

we haven’t had an update of totals today have we?