Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Pearl Jams were June/July.

Like a government policy or acts pulling out all over the place?

I was thinking govt policy.

Acts are going to pull out because they won't want to travel but I reckon that'll be even all-round so there'll be UK acts available as replacements in many cases I think.

7 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Like a government policy or acts pulling out all over the place?

Haven't they only postponed their N. American dates which start in March?

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I feel like this festival getting cancelled is an inevitability now. 

Not because the virus will kill everyone

not because it won’t be “better” by june

but because it’s getting increasingly clear that artists don’t want to tour at all when this is all going on. I think Glasto will be forced to pull the plug if it becomes clear that none of the international acts are planning on turning up.

What artists have pulled out of European shows in June? Genuine question.

Edited by northernringo

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s a bit make believe. Pretty sure Elton lives in America anyway.

All completely valid claims though. If you can’t handle the fact that this is a serious possibility and that people are quite upset about this why are you here?

The nhs say 90% of all cases will hit them in next 7 weeks so relax it’s too early to say what will happen yet. If you want to piss your pants that’s fine but keep it to yourself for another month or two. 

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I’m in the unfortunate position of having a boss who previously worked in a senior position in emergency healthcare, and a girlfriend who previously worked for the State government in disaster planning strategy and management. The doom coming out of their collective mouths is starting to feed some genuine anxiety here, with or without Glastonbury 50. 

I guess I haven’t helped myself by downloading the Plague Inc. game and calling my disease Covid-19. 

I've had some second hand info from an Italian doctor that makes me a bit anxious too - but I don't think having on the ground info vs government statements is a bad thing (as you'd expect they have to under/over play things to keep the stock market calm)

1 minute ago, Lycra said:

Following your argument that the death rate is lower because of the number of undiagnosed cases, the same would true of any viral infection, e.g. seasonal flu. In all datasets firm baselines are needed to enable comparison. 

Exactly, so South Korea has the most robust dataset.

1 minute ago, Lycra said:

Following your argument that the death rate is lower because of the number of undiagnosed cases, the same would true of any viral infection, e.g. seasonal flu. In all datasets firm baselines are needed to enable comparison. 

I’m taking about flu though, I’m taking about Covid-19. Simple logic dictates that the mortality rate will be more accurate the more people you test, the less you test the higher it will be. Surely that’s a pretty simple concept to grasp?

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Fake News alert!!! 

Pearl Jam have postponed their US and Canadian tour, which ends in April. Nothing about their European tour, which starts in June. 

Nearly everything will be cancelled until the end of April, potentially into May. This is a cast iron certainty. HOWEVER, it;s too early to speculate about the Summer. 

Someone said it before, if we are canecelling all events - big and small - closing all schools etc until the Autumn then the the ecomonic damage this will do will be the likes never seen before. This won't be allowed to happen, unless the Virus death rate is actually above 1% and 70% of the global population will be infected. 

1 minute ago, Madyaker said:

The nhs say 90% of all cases will hit them in next 7 weeks so relax it’s too early to say what will happen yet. If you want to piss your pants that’s fine but keep it to yourself for another month or two. 

You do understand that events are being cancelled now because things don’t get left to the wire in the real world? I wish it was as easy as “well we will wait and see what it’s like the day before then make a decision”.

Just now, Matt42 said:

You do understand that events are being cancelled now because things don’t get left to the wire in the real world? I wish it was as easy as “well we will wait and see what it’s like the day before then make a decision”.

Which large events that begin in June are being cancelled now?

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

All completely valid claims though. If you can’t handle the fact that this is a serious possibility and that people are quite upset about this why are you here?

Because there’s debate and discussion, and then there’s irrational and unfounded nonsense. You posted two weeks ago saying you’re resigned to the fact you’re going to get it because you live in London. You were rattling on about the pope, when he didn’t even have the infection.

And now because older acts and bands (who’re in the at risk category) are cancelling imminent shows, that must mean a festival in three months is inevitably not happening. 

I honestly hope your prediction for Glastonbury is as good as it was for the pope. 

17 minutes ago, Henrik said:

People do need to get over the idea of tickets rolling over to next year if this year gets cancelled. There is absolutely no chance of that happening. 

If its cancelled people will be refunded. Anything else would be a logistical nightmare. 

While the cancellation would probably mean refunds. I don’t agree it would be a logistical nightmare to have 2020 ticket holders have pre access. In fact they already did this exact thing with coach ticket holders being given presale access to worthy view/Sticklinch accommodation  for 2020

Just now, Matt42 said:

It's not the day before tho is it. Still over 3 months away.

Obvs they're not gonna leave it to the last week or whatever, but they'll wait as long as they can before calling it off.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I feel like this festival getting cancelled is an inevitability now. 

Not because the virus will kill everyone

not because it won’t be “better” by june

but because it’s getting increasingly clear that artists don’t want to tour at all when this is all going on. I think Glasto will be forced to pull the plug if it becomes clear that none of the international acts are planning on turning up.

How many artists have cancelled tours because of it, and how many in the same period have in fact announced tours? Too early to claim anything yet surely 

This thread gives me such a headache.

FFS, Glasto is 3 months away. There is absolutely zero point in worrying about it now. If it get cancelled, it gets cancelled. It'll bit shit for us all but we'll all get over it.

However right now, Glasto is still on so we should be spending our time getting excited, predicting acts or reminiscing of previous visits to the farm in the other threads.

This doom and gloom is not what Glasto is about*

*unless we're talking about the weather

• Upvote 1