Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

1 hour ago, Stu H said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51812326

"

Dr Harries said cancelling big outdoor events like football matches would not necessarily be a decision supported by science.

"The virus will not survive very long outside," she said. "Many outdoor events, particularly, are relatively safe."

But as an outdoor event Glastonbury isn't exactly in the same category as a football match. More people, higher crowd densities, 5 days camping and multiple 1,000+ indoor venues.... Not like we are all just going to be stood in a field 1 meter apart!

Edited by I am Jon

4 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Today's update: (Note: Yesterday's update was late so a couple of countries may not have posted an update since yesterday around noon (Iran were the ones I noticed).

All in all, yesterday was actually an encouraging day...

In China, cases continue to fall, this time by 1,374 (17,532). In even more encouraging news, South Korea announced its first net decrease yesterday since their explosion of cases. They were down by 95 (7,212) and the optimist in me thinks this trend will continue as they have been slow at announcing recoveries until now. Elsewhere, it was just our usual gradual increases in East Asia. Singapore up 10 (82), Japan up 2 (420 - they also reduced the number of deaths attributed to the disease), Thailand up 1 (19), Vietnam up 1 (15), Philippines up 15 (33) and Brunei announced its first case (1).  Hong Kong reduced by 1 (52) and the other countries remained the same.

In the Middle East, we again had more encouraging news. Oman was down overall by 5 (9) and Bahrain announced 8 new recoveries (still up 6 though to 87). Kuwait only increased by 1 (64) and Iraq (up 7 to 61) and Saudi Arabia (up 4 to 19) announced their first recoveries. As mentioned, no new figures for Iran.

In Africa, it was much of the same, small gradual increases or no change at all in all countries. Strangely Egypt seem to have unannounced 12 recoveries though. Burkina Faso (1) is our only new African country.

In Europe, we saw Gibraltar reduce its cases to 0 which was good news. As expected, the larger countries saw large increases but we did see our first recoveries in some of these, such as Sweden, Norway and Iceland. Latvia also saw a reduction of 1 (5). In the UK, we didn't announce any recoveries yesterday so grew by 39 to 298. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Ireland grew by 3 to 24. Italy saw another massive jump of 1,598 to 7,985 but in better news, the original 11 towns they quarantined two weeks ago have all seen case numbers drop. Hopefully a sign of things to come. No sign of increases in Spain/Germany/France slowing down.

Not much change in South America beyond expected gradual increases and further north we have Panama (1) as a new country. Mexico saw a few recoveries though so is down 3 (3). Canada's announced cases also fell (unsure why) so naturally they are down. USA has increased by 185 (721).

In the rest of the world, Pakistan saw an increase of 10 (15). India saw it's first recovery in their second wave but still up 3 (43). Australia also grew, this time by 15 (66) but New Zealand remained at 5. Russia also grew by 3 (17) and Mongolia saw its first case (1).

I knew I always liked you.

5 minutes ago, I am Jon said:

But as an outdoor event Glastonbury isn't exactly in the same category as a football match. More people, higher crowd densities, 5 days camping and multiple 1,000+ indoor venues....

Higher crowd densities- it feels like being at Glastonbury in the concourse at half time at Goodison 😂

On a serious note though- all the water  in the taps in Goodison Park is ice cold, I've never had warm water there so the washing your hands thing falls down. Hopefully they get some hand sanitizer in for those experiencing the worst footballing day of their lives on Monday watching our delightful neighbours win the title at our stadium 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Higher crowd densities- it feels like being at Glastonbury in the concourse at half time at Goodison 😂

On a serious note though- all the water  in the taps in Goodison Park is ice cold, I've never had warm water there so the washing your hands thing falls down. Hopefully they get some hand sanitizer in

They actually  have running water in that old shed?? :D:D 

The pressure being put on Coachella to cancel though is a little worrying.

I saw a tweet yesterday with around 300,000 likes I think that talked about measures being put in place in various countries to stop the spread and comparing these with USA who were letting Coachella happen at this point.

The thing is, all the planned measures the person had quoted are due to end before Coachella begins so aren't overly relevant.

This could be part of the problem for Glastonbury - social media sheep who have no interest in the festival 'campaigning' to get it cancelled.

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

On a serious note though- all the water  in the taps in Goodison Park is ice cold, I've never had warm water there so the washing your hands thing falls down. Hopefully they get some hand sanitizer in for those experiencing the worst footballing day of their lives on Monday watching our delightful neighbours win the title at our stadium 

As far as I'm aware, the temperature of the water won't matter - it would have to be boiling to have an effect. Washing in cold water with soap will do the job.

Of course however, it won't be as comfortable which may cause issues as people won't want to do it for as long or as thoroughly.

This is in no way an attempt to shut down discussion (I personally think the festival will likely go ahead but possibly with a quite different line up to that originally planned) but my dog would like to ask everyone wherever possible to try and stay positive...1727745712_Screenshot_2019-07-17MiloDogsononInstagramReadyforglastoglastoblesseddogstagramdogsofinstagramdoglifedo....png.17aac612c006b2405c89467d263b955b.png

I know this is easy for him to say as he doesn't like pasta, isn't really one for wiping his arse and has little use for hand sanitiser but he's very rarely wrong

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, northernringo said:

This could be part of the problem for Glastonbury - social media sheep who have no interest in the festival 'campaigning' to get it cancelled.

This is a good point. If you're a twitter prick, anon account/football bio who's spent the last 12 months shouting about brexit meaning brexit there's probably no better target for your social media rage than Glastonbury goers. 

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

You don't work on a farm in Pilton do you?

Luckily no. But my firm holds a lot of events for international clients / regional clients and ticket sales and returns have basically plummeted. No one wants to do anything until September.

If the virus is still around in June will Festival Medical Services be able to cope with people becoming ill at the festival? 

They do a excellent job (in my experience better than local A&E) but they are already rushed off their feet with long waits if we get a hot / muddy one. Also would they need some level of onsite quarantine and testing facilities? I assume any positive cases would then be taken offsite but would the local facilities be able to cope with extra load?

Failed to get G tickets but still going to other festivals in June/July which will face the same issues so hoping they can still go ahead. Not optimistic at this point though.

I guess another question is if it goes ahead but you get coronavirus in June, do you get any form of refund? They're obviously not obliged to but you'd think they'll want to stop anyone with the virus coming. It won't stop everyone (although for everyone else's benefit it probably should) but they might need to make the case for people to stay home no matter how much they love the place. 

There's a lot of people talking the talk against panic buyers and the like here but would you go if you had symptoms? 

Not sure its been said - but there is a diff between the decision to cancel for the health of the patrons inside the fence and the wellbeing of those in the community they return to. Question then becomes not one of "will it go ahead" and more to "should it go ahead".

Not easy. Specially in these difficult times where Glastonbury is a beacon of positivity.

If Emily came out and said - "lads its obviously canned but congrats those of you with tickets rollover to 2021" - I would have to be honest and state i'd be critical of people whinging on 'ere.

3 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Not sure its been said - but there is a diff between the decision to cancel for the health of the patrons inside the fence and the wellbeing of those in the community they return to. Question then becomes not one of "will it go ahead" and more to "should it go ahead".

Not easy. Specially in these difficult times where Glastonbury is a beacon of positivity.

If Emily came out and said - "lads its obviously canned but congrats those of you with tickets rollover to 2021" - I would have to be honest and state i'd be critical of people whinging on 'ere.

I honestly can't see them rolling tickets over. 

Poland (17 cases) have banned all mass events and Czech Republic (40 cases) are closing schools and banning all events of 100 or more people. 
The inconsistent approaches of each country is interesting - I think you’d have to say that the UK is being the most ‘relaxed’ of the big European countries so far - whether that is a wise choice will remain to be seen.  

12 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I guess another question is if it goes ahead but you get coronavirus in June, do you get any form of refund? They're obviously not obliged to but you'd think they'll want to stop anyone with the virus coming. It won't stop everyone (although for everyone else's benefit it probably should) but they might need to make the case for people to stay home no matter how much they love the place. 

There's a lot of people talking the talk against panic buyers and the like here but would you go if you had symptoms? 

That’s why you can get ticket insurance. 

4 minutes ago, st dan said:

Poland (17 cases) have banned all mass events and Czech Republic (40 cases) are closing schools and banning all events of 100 or more people. 
The inconsistent approaches of each country is interesting - I think you’d have to say that the UK is being the most ‘relaxed’ of the big European countries so far - whether that is a wise choice will remain to be seen.  

The more relaxed? Spain only suspended classes yesterday for two areas of the country (Madrid and Basque Country).

Fallas are taking place daily in Valencia (almost a millon of people expected) and still not cancelled:

Resultado de imagen de fallas valencia

Madrid 800 cases and growing every second and the only thing they did it's suspend the schools yesterday. This happened on Sunday.

Resultado de imagen de 8m madrid

Tell me about "relaxing approach"...

Edited by AlexOvd

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

What part of the ethos says 'well everyone who wasn't lucky in the draw in October 2019 doesn't get to go to the festival until 2022' 

It's kinda unfair people try for years and don't get lucky and when they do its cancelled. It should rollover and give people the option for 2021 as it will make some distraught.

Just now, chazwwe said:

What part of the ethos says 'well everyone who wasn't lucky in the draw in October 2019 doesn't get to go to the festival until 2022' 

Is that better than the joy of securing tickets, spending months excited to see the announced acts, the festival is cancelled and then you miss out tickets for the following year?

There's no right answer. Personally I think they would give those who got tickets for 2020 a chance to secure them for next year in a presale type thing. Would be fairly easy to set up an algorithm that only allows certain reg numbers to log on and buy a ticket. Then you have the general sale in October with the leftover tickets. There would still be a fair chunk of tickets available - not every current ticket holder would take up the option of going next year.