Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

Just now, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Yes. I know the person who is responsible for sanitation etc. Two or three weeks ago they ordered 20k x 5l of sanitiser. Normally it comes from China but this time had to be ordered from elsewhere.

Don't suppose you know how much they normally order? That sounds like loads but I don't really have a frame of reference!

3 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Yes. I know the person who is responsible for sanitation etc. Two or three weeks ago they ordered 20k x 5l of sanitiser. Normally it comes from China but this time had to be ordered from elsewhere.

Thats good be swimming in it!

It really should be on every bodies packing list, its not just glastos job to make sure we are clean, everyone has to take responsibility.

Edited by Earth_pig

3 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

400ml per person for the primary 5 days of the fest? Usual ratio or increased to your knowledge?

The Italian lockdown is a bit of a fallacy. The trains are running hourly from Milan Central to Zurich Central. Cross-border workers are also allowed back and forward every day. For me living in Switzerland there is nothing stopping me heading to northern Italy after work 

1 minute ago, Stu H said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51812326

"

Dr Harries said cancelling big outdoor events like football matches would not necessarily be a decision supported by science.

"The virus will not survive very long outside," she said. "Many outdoor events, particularly, are relatively safe."

How fantastic would it be if the government just came out and said we wont be cancelling any outdoor events as there is a little benefit...however we will look at other means of social distancing and indoor gatherings.

Its obviously not going to happen but it would certainly make us all feel a lot better!

10 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Wouldn't large quantities of sanitiser be required for cleaning the toilets  etc anyway?

14 minutes ago, Heather90 said:

The Italian lockdown is a bit of a fallacy. The trains are running hourly from Milan Central to Zurich Central. Cross-border workers are also allowed back and forward every day. For me living in Switzerland there is nothing stopping me heading to northern Italy after work 

Multiple flights from Italy landing in Dublin today

1 hour ago, Gwladboy said:

That’s the attitude!

Knocking them off one by one mate, well done.  You'll turn this thread around!

I am starting to get concerned that they may start shutting this thread down soon though if they invoke similar measures to what they did for twitter --> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-51805311

I'm not overly concerned at the moment as the government seem to be doing exactly the right thing (e.g. listening to experts), and not doing things just to appease the masses (e.g. not banning flights to Italy).  While this does not mean Glastonbury will not be cancelled, it does demonstrate that if they do decide to do it then it will be based on advise rather than a knee jerk reaction to satisfy Joe Bloggs.  

Other factors to consider are social impact which this approach is demonstrating that they are considering, and the fact we are behind other nations so have more time\examples to review and adapt our approach accordingly.

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Sanitiser doesn't clean the food stalls. Queues of people coughing and spluttering over surfaces, food, cutlery, napkins, each other.

Negative waves Moriarty, negative waves 😣

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

So Pearl Jam have cancelled their entire North American tour. 

We've all been talking about Glasto happening based on decisions and advice from the Government, but what happens if artists actually pull out? 

Ah no! 

This makes me nervous for BST 😷

41 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I hope they normally order 5k, because there has never been remotely enough since they started providing it.

Today's update: (Note: Yesterday's update was late so a couple of countries may not have posted an update since yesterday around noon (Iran were the ones I noticed).

All in all, yesterday was actually an encouraging day...

In China, cases continue to fall, this time by 1,374 (17,532). In even more encouraging news, South Korea announced its first net decrease yesterday since their explosion of cases. They were down by 95 (7,212) and the optimist in me thinks this trend will continue as they have been slow at announcing recoveries until now. Elsewhere, it was just our usual gradual increases in East Asia. Singapore up 10 (82), Japan up 2 (420 - they also reduced the number of deaths attributed to the disease), Thailand up 1 (19), Vietnam up 1 (15), Philippines up 15 (33) and Brunei announced its first case (1).  Hong Kong reduced by 1 (52) and the other countries remained the same.

In the Middle East, we again had more encouraging news. Oman was down overall by 5 (9) and Bahrain announced 8 new recoveries (still up 6 though to 87). Kuwait only increased by 1 (64) and Iraq (up 7 to 61) and Saudi Arabia (up 4 to 19) announced their first recoveries. As mentioned, no new figures for Iran.

In Africa, it was much of the same, small gradual increases or no change at all in all countries. Strangely Egypt seem to have unannounced 12 recoveries though. Burkina Faso (1) is our only new African country.

In Europe, we saw Gibraltar reduce its cases to 0 which was good news. As expected, the larger countries saw large increases but we did see our first recoveries in some of these, such as Sweden, Norway and Iceland. Latvia also saw a reduction of 1 (5). In the UK, we didn't announce any recoveries yesterday so grew by 39 to 298. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Ireland grew by 3 to 24. Italy saw another massive jump of 1,598 to 7,985 but in better news, the original 11 towns they quarantined two weeks ago have all seen case numbers drop. Hopefully a sign of things to come. No sign of increases in Spain/Germany/France slowing down.

Not much change in South America beyond expected gradual increases and further north we have Panama (1) as a new country. Mexico saw a few recoveries though so is down 3 (3). Canada's announced cases also fell (unsure why) so naturally they are down. USA has increased by 185 (721).

In the rest of the world, Pakistan saw an increase of 10 (15). India saw it's first recovery in their second wave but still up 3 (43). Australia also grew, this time by 15 (66) but New Zealand remained at 5. Russia also grew by 3 (17) and Mongolia saw its first case (1).

Edited by northernringo
  • Upvote 4