Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

2 minutes ago, harderfaster said:

The real question:

When Glastonbury goes ahead, will there be enough hand sanitiser again?! 

I rarely use it these days - plenty of sinks and a supply of paper soap in my pockets and I'm set.

21 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Maybe try and focus on the positives, it might help make things more enjoyable. I didn’t realise you disliked positivity so much. 

I agree. Focusing only on the positives is the best way to form a balanced opionion whilst also enjoying things the most. It also makes you immune from any allegations of hating positivity. And ultimately that is the boat we all want to be in. 

44 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’ve also been looking at the details of the Italian quarantine. It’s not as extreme as it makes out to be. People can still travel for work and for family emergencies. I’m also assuming that they will also need to travel to buy food etc. 

It’s not as extreme as the Chinese quarantine and I’m not actually sure if it will make much difference other than severely damaging the leisure and entertainment industries. It may slow down the spread of the virus but it won’t stop it. Is that enough to warrant such extreme measures? 

Yes I think so. They have to try delay the spread as much as possible to even out the demand on health services. Ideally you want case numbers to rise gradually over time and not spike so that the hospitals don’t become overwhelmed because that’s when lots of people start to die. 

1 minute ago, Madyaker said:

Yes I think so. They have to try delay the spread as much as possible to even out the demand on health services. Ideally you want case numbers to rise gradually over time and not spike so that the hospitals don’t become overwhelmed because that’s when lots of people start to die. 

I’ve been saving this chart for the right time. We’re in that middle group of countries where it could still go either way. 

D5E58AB1-7DDC-4083-B553-1B59B17E5B63.jpeg.e4ee6bd52c9dead453e04d9d90745eb6.jpeg

• Upvote 2

If the government decides that festivals such as Glastonbury etc don’t go ahead then where does that leave places such a those massive holiday parks operated by haven, butlins centre parcs etc. Thousands of people in close contact, pools, entertainment complexes, restaurants  a huge changeover of visitors every Saturday. What about airports? Massive numbers of folk transiting every day. I reckon and just an opinion, we could see serious measures in April but no way they could continue into the  summer. The country couldn’t just grind to a halt for months on end. Italy are looking at three weeks max. 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

As Merkel said, its not about stopping it, but delaying it enough for the health services to cope and for the hot weather to kill it off more.

This is a fallacy....hot weather does not kill off viruses.....UK swine flu peak was July

On 3/9/2020 at 8:58 AM, thewayiam said:

I'm shocked by that as SXSW is a going back years now major festival that isn't a cheap do. A festival that size clearly didn't feel it needed it.

And SXSW is a small do.....do some research.

A troll?, you fucking idiot.

Point proven. 

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, eFestivals said:
30 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

except it's not ... yet.

As far as I've been able to find anywhere, anyway.

This is a fair point. It’s not official yet

Based upon the reporting it would seem they are trying to proactively postpone after the new cases in the county and the Tennis being cancelled rather than have their permits pulled like SxSW. Ambitious to think it wouldn’t leak out before being able to announce it. 

5 minutes ago, Lycra said:

This is a fallacy....hot weather does not kill off viruses.....UK swine flu peak was July

Was it not due to deliberate action though? Same as what it appears we’re doing with coronavirus? Also I don’t think are claiming a warmer climate will kill it off, I suspect it’s a combination of the virus being less transmittable and giving ourselves time to prepare for increased pressure in the NHS, it’s all about flattening the curve  

4BC8BB39-6640-4744-AD06-297BDDC4BC9E.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Reading this yesterday is exactly what I did NOT want to hear... it could well mean the social distancing will be in place for the summer and all festivals will be screwed.... 

I have read some virologists suggesting that the sooner you social distance the lower and sooner the peak will hit and the sooner you get out the other end.... We appear to be purposely trying to make it peak in the summer. 

image.png.e1576a298194c640198505c9a773a7c9.png

5 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Was it not due to deliberate action though? Same as what it appears we’re doing with coronavirus? Also I don’t think are claiming a warmer climate will kill it off, I suspect it’s a combination of the virus being less transmittable and giving ourselves time to prepare for increased pressure in the NHS, it’s all about flattening the curve  

4BC8BB39-6640-4744-AD06-297BDDC4BC9E.jpeg

According to records UK government took no direct actions to control swine flu other than advise against travel to the most infected countries and recommend good hand hygiene. Swine flu entered the UK in April before peaking in July, declining in August/September before reaching a new smaller peak in November.

2 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

I think the risk to Glastonbury lies as much in getting all the infrastructure in place as it does from a direct cancellation.  Think of all the workers, traders, supplies, equipment etc.

Remember 2016 when they couldn't get the tracks from Download?  Well that, but on a much bigger scale.

Glastonbury tends have a good relationship with the suppliers and have likely been using the same people and companies for years now, they have weathered many storms so i hope this is something they can manage if it is permitted to go ahead. 

1 hour ago, harderfaster said:

The real question:

When Glastonbury goes ahead, will there be enough hand sanitiser again?! 

Yes. I know the person who is responsible for sanitation etc. Two or three weeks ago they ordered 20k x 5l of sanitiser. Normally it comes from China but this time had to be ordered from elsewhere.

• Upvote 1