Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

1 minute ago, Chrisp1986 said:

I don't really venture onto any of the forums for lesser festivals but does anyone have an idea as to what is being said on the other darkside forums on this site?

There’s other forums on this site? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

I don't really venture onto any of the forums for lesser festivals but does anyone have an idea as to what is being said on the other darkside forums on this site?

I just went to have a look off the back of this post and can confirm they haven’t got a thread/discussion for Coronavirus.

Lucky bastards.

Talking of conspiracy theories I read somewhere that each time theres a big election I.e the US election there is a new pandemic threat. I think it's a bit of a stretch for trump though. The curious thing is that the protests in Hong Kong, Brexit and the US election have all been on the backburner since this broke really. 

Just food for thought I suppose. 

7 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

going to throw my negativity hat into the ring. seems a bit naïve to think this will all be done and over by June. There also comes a point where, as much as we all would like it to go ahead, it becomes irresponsible to hold an event like Glastonbury. 

Yes and no, our highest ranking health experts have repeatedly said large scale open air gatherings are not a risk and banning them with have little impact.

Time for another rare serious post. 

A lot of people around the internet are saying our government isn’t doing enough and we should be taking drastic measures such as in Wuhan and Northern Italy. I’m actually wondering what can we do?

Is it even possible for the country to stop all international travel and force everyone to self isolate for two weeks while it all blows over? What happens in two weeks, we may be able to stop the virus temporarily but we still need food to be imported and people need to travel. People will still travel into the country and the virus will flare up again. 

China managed to quarantine several regions but they had enough of their country still functional so they could keep those parts of the country supplied with food and the economy ticking over. Italy is quarantining their Northern regions, the southern parts of the country can assist to keep their country moving.

(While I was typing this the news broke that Italy has locked down their whole country, will be interesting to see what happens there)

If there was single region in the UK where the virus was spreading and a quarantine of that region was possible I could understand such a move. I have no problem sacrificing Lancashire for the greater good. (Sorry had to squeeze in a little humour 😂)

I’d love to know what feasible options we have other than trying to minimise infection on a local scale as much as possible. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yes and no, our highest ranking health experts have repeatedly said large scale open air gatherings are not a risk and banning them with have little impact.

One was quoted as saying that banning football matches doesn't make sense as one person won't give it to 70,000 which seemed to spectacularly miss the point and go against all the advice coming from the WHO etc.

But then again, I know frig all about this

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

Where did it all go wrong for Italy? Is stopping big events likely to stop us getting to the point we're literally locked down? 

One of my team is Italian and she was saying today that Italians are like, I quote, "naughty school children" and don't like following guidelines. She wasn't surprised it has spread there and that they weren't following the hand washing guidelines or self isolation, unlike Brits who she seemed to think were talking it more seriously.

Her words, not mine, but I thought it was interesting.

My country, Israel, is starting to force everyone who visits abroad to 14 days quarantine. I currently live in NYC which stopped my parents to visit me. That's kinda harsh step (so far 50 cases in the country and 0 deaths) - we'll see if it'll really help to prevent it from spreading, one thing for sure is it is awful for the economy.