Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

I think the hope here is that it becomes uncontainable before Glasto (not that it becomes uncontainable, that's going to happen if not already happening, but that it is realized soon) and they make the call that this won't expose us to anything we're not already being exposed to all the time. That, and the fact that this is on the opposite age bracket to cruises and church events...!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, beefykoala said:

I think the hope here is that it becomes uncontainable before Glasto (not that it becomes uncontainable, that's going to happen if not already happening, but that it is realized soon) and they make the call that this won't expose us to anything we're not already being exposed to all the time. That, and the fact that this is on the opposite age bracket to cruises and church events...!

I think you're right. We need the worst of it to hurry up so it we will be over it in plenty of time before glasto.

2 minutes ago, beefykoala said:

I touched on this briefly on the other thread about the cancellation of St Pats parade in Dublin. 

They have relatively few cases there and are still at a point where the virus can be contained. Right now is the right time for them to limit as much contact as possible especially from external visitors. 

The UK never had a chance of doing the same, we’re a massive international hub and have large populations of people from every country you can think of. We also have a huge amount of ex-pats traveling as well as a large holiday industry. Containment was never going to be an option especially with the virus being very asymptomatic for many people. 

Unfortunately I think our only option is to ride this out and try and prevent personal infection as much as possible and keep the hospitals clear for those who need it most. 

2 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

I think you're right. We need the worst of it to hurry up so it we will be over it in plenty of time before glasto.

I think it’s pretty much what will happen. We'll go into the delay phase imminently, loads of stuff will be cancelled and locked down, probably the maximum that can go on for is 2 months so still well before Glastonbury. If things pan out like they have elsewhere then by then the amount of cases will have massively escalated and locking everything down for any longer will be both pointless and potentially terminal for the economy. Then the issue will be logistically can the festival still function.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think it’s pretty much what will happen. We'll go into the delay phase imminently, loads of stuff will be cancelled and locked down, probably the maximum that can go on for is 2 months so still well before Glastonbury. If things pan out like they have elsewhere then by then the amount of cases will have massively escalated and locking everything down for any longer will be both pointless and potentially terminal for the economy. Then the issue will be logistically can the festival still function.

This, spot on.

Wrestlemania is still going ahead in 4 weeks, I’m pretty sure Vince McMahon knows what he’s doing...

Slipped under my radar today but I've just read Riverside County California have declared a public health emergency after a presumed corona infection. This, and a gathering petition by locals in what is an relatively old local population (median age 57) adds to the growing doubts about Coachella, so the article I read said. 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

If the poster drops there will be a mass movement from this thread to the confirmed acts thread that will dwarf the movement along the path  from the other stage to the pyramid before Kylie was due on. I wish it would hurry up! 

7pm x

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If we somehow get through this we’ve then got the ordeal of the weather thread 

Said it before but I'll take any weather if it actually goes ahead. I'd take a mud bath at my favourite place on earth over no festival, any day.

Wouldn't say this in the NFR thread ofc.

10 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

I feel like this thread has 3 different types of people init. 

The Optimists

The Pessimists 

The I Told You The Festival Was Knackereders 

Everyone dealing with their anxiety in a different way, there’s no right or wrong way to react! (apart from mass buying toilet paper)

6 hours ago, wilby-wilbert said:

I didnt mean it would be cancelled because of the weather. I meant it is 100% definitely going to be cancelled because of coronavirus. And when it is I will be praying for rain 

Dunno about 100%, but its certainly the case coronavirus is a likelier trigger for cancellation than the weather, such is the historical precedent.

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Ladies and gentlemen.... Jim Corr!

9A605B10-9D34-4D00-BDCC-7F641B10DABC.png

I used to be intrigued by conspiracy theories but this all feels like a massive stretch.