Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

Where are you getting that from?

logic and mathematics - the flip side of the "most people will get mild flu symptoms" reassurance is that loads will already be in that situation and don't know, with an up to 2 week incubation period and the clearly high levels of infectiousness. ANY "community infections" here means there will have been more, it isn't just people who've had contact with Italy and Iran travellers. Plus Italy going up to 7k officially infected and 300 odd deaths in 3 weeks, it sounds like it takes more than a few days to become pneumonia so they didn't just get infected at that time, and there were reports that people from Italy have passed it on in other countries early on after they announced their first ones so that wasn't immediate either. I hope I'm wrong 

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

logic and mathematics - the flip side of the "most people will get mild flu symptoms" reassurance is that loads will already be in that situation and don't know, with an up to 2 week incubation period and the clearly high levels of infectiousness. ANY "community infections" here means there will have been more, it isn't just people who've had contact with Italy and Iran travellers. Plus Italy going up to 7k officially infected and 300 odd deaths in 3 weeks, it sounds like it takes more than a few days to become pneumonia so they didn't just get infected at that time, and there were reports that people from Italy have passed it on in other countries early on after they announced their first ones so that wasn't immediate either. I hope I'm wrong 

I see zero mathematics and tenuous logic. Lots of wild assumptions, I'll give you that at any point the number of confirmed cases will be less than the actual number of cases but 319 confirmed means 7k infected? That's pulling numbers out of the air. Do you believe the 100k cases worldwide is actually wrong by the same margin and is actually 2.2 million?

4 minutes ago, SteveTLizard said:

I'm confused (sadly not a rare situation these days).

If, as a lot of folks are saying on here, warmer weather will slow down / stop the spread of the virus. How come they are have the same or worse problems containing it in countries with a warm climate, as they are here? 

Have you been to northern Italy in the winter?

• Downvote 1

Can someone confirm for me whether we are over or under reacting. Everyone seems to be very much in one camp or the other. Very few people saying the reaction is proportionate to the threat. Isnt that just how everything works these days? Everything is either blacker than black or whiter than white but either way there is definitely a grand conspiracy. 

1 minute ago, wilby-wilbert said:

Can someone confirm for me whether we are over or under reacting. Everyone seems to be very much in one camp or the other. Very few people saying the reaction is proportionate to the threat. Isnt that just how everything works these days? Everything is either blacker than black or whiter than white but either way there is definitely a grand conspiracy. 

Both, clearly.  Given that some countries are locking people in their houses and some are carrying on as if nothing is happening, I expect nobody is quite doing it right.

10 minutes ago, SteveTLizard said:

I'm confused (sadly not a rare situation these days).

If, as a lot of folks are saying on here, warmer weather will slow down / stop the spread of the virus. How come they are have the same or worse problems containing it in countries with a warm climate, as they are here? 

Viruses are around all year and it's a generalisation to say they peak in winter and die out in summer. In fact the last global epidemic to hit the UK, swine flu, peaked in July. Flu  exists in both hot and cold climates. Recently some researchers have pointed to humidity as a key determinant in transmission rates.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Both, clearly.  Given that some countries are locking people in their houses and some are carrying on as if nothing is happening, I expect nobody is quite doing it right.

Those locking in houses are those with full scale outbreaks and overloaded hospitals. Those not, are not quite there yet.