Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

2 hours ago, thrillhouse188 said:

I still think they'll just plough ahead as normal, and only cancel if required by government intervention. 

That's that attitude Latitude are taking - and i reckon that'll be the approach of all festivals who have insurance to cover cancellation. After all, insurance is only going to pay out if it's cancelled, so festivals won't cancel.

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Boris Johnson:

“One of the theories is you could take it on the chin, take it all in one go and allow the virus to move through the population without really taking as many draconian measures.”

Exactly. 

That’s putting economy before lives.

It is what every country will do until healthcare is swamped and they realise that it ain’t just old poorly folks that are getting wiped out.

"It’s August 2020. Most people in the world have contracted COVID-19. This time last summer you were cracking open some cans in the park while J Hus played on the portable speakers, but now, no one is permitted in the park. The one time you did go to the park, a stranger with a mask tried to rob you of your shoes. Now you must stay inside the house, curtains closed, wearing a protective full body suit. The Tesco Metro down the road was looted months ago, so dinner tonight is half a tin of chickpeas, with the other half for tomorrow. Later, you must slaughter a pigeon. That is just how things are now. "

Via Vice on "How to sensibly prepare for a worst-case coronavirus scenario"

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/g5xmjy/how-to-sensibly-prepare-for-a-worst-case-coronavirus-scenario

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

That's that attitude Latitude are taking - and i reckon that'll be the approach of all festivals who have insurance to cover cancellation. After all, insurance is only going to pay out if it's cancelled, so festivals won't cancel.

Exactly.

The Government will be forced to act when, as I said before, they cannot supply or maintain the infrastructure to sustain normal day to day life as we know it currently.

Part of this will be to ensure that non essential events such as GF cannot go ahead if they place undue strain on  an already creaking NHS and emergency services........the legal requirements of stewarding and safety management will be compromised and provide a ready made reason for cancellation.

22 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m not sure if it’s good news if cancelling events is ultimately going to be inevitable, as it just pushes the chance if it happening closer to Glastonbury. At the same time I do agree it would be premature at this stage based on the number of cases.

Indeed.  Assuming the ban just affects the gathering of people and wouldn't interfere with the Glastonbury build then as long as an 8 week ban happened before the 22nd of April, it will miss Glastonbury.

We've been working out contingencies for the Corona Virus today (I work for a company that provides care to people with Mental Health and Learning disabilities) and while we can do quite a bit to protect the people we care for, we will be screwed if the staff come down with it.

However we did realise that if an outbreak occurred in one of the services and it had to be quarantined, it would at least mean that technically, the service would be fully staffed for the two weeks.

I'm still just about optimistic that everything will be ok in the end but still think we've got a tough few weeks ahead.

3 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

"Later, you must slaughter a pigeon. That is just how things are now. "

Via Vice on "How to sensibly prepare for a worst-case coronavirus scenario"

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/g5xmjy/how-to-sensibly-prepare-for-a-worst-case-coronavirus-scenario

Pretty sure eating a city pigeon would give you something worse than coronavirus to worry about... 🤢 

• Upvote 1

Supermarket update ... things seem to be on a path back to normal  at least from my supermarkets point of view ... liquid soap and pasta back on sale but limited brands and we had a decent supply of toilet rolls up until midday .... It is however getting a little boring listening to the same conversation about why people need the extra toilet paper because of virus though ... Im sure this has manifested itself entirely through the media and some clever sales technique somewhere with a photo or two taken of empty shelves and then its gone viral ... supermarkets will catch up but please be patient while they do ... by thursday we will have had a week of people doing that little bit extra in their shopping ( because absolutely nobody is panic buying ) another boring thing I hear umpteen times per day .... supply chains seem to be catching up ..... 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Supermarket update ... things seem to be on a path back to normal  at least from my supermarkets point of view ... liquid soap and pasta back on sale but limited brands and we had a decent supply of toilet rolls up until midday .... It is however getting a little boring listening to the same conversation about why people need the extra toilet paper because of virus though ... Im sure this has manifested itself entirely through the media and some clever sales technique somewhere with a photo or two taken of empty shelves and then its gone viral ... supermarkets will catch up but please be patient while they do ... by thursday we will have had a week of people doing that little bit extra in their shopping ( because absolutely nobody is panic buying ) another boring thing I hear umpteen times per day .... supply chains seem to be catching up ..... 

51B81146-023B-4761-A4A3-BFC64D2E6D1B.jpeg.155cc0b3301100c43ae7b4884ca8170e.jpeg

glad to see bog roll back in stock.  So no need to knit your own any more 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Thank god I was running abit low

89097661_10163101808315223_3827580021317304320_nbogroll.jpg

Just now, DeadAmos said:

Thank god I was running abit low

89097661_10163101808315223_3827580021317304320_nbogroll.jpg

you look at peoples trolleys and whilst available everyone was buying the bumper packs .... it then moved down in size and the very last to go was the smartprice ... expensive taste peoples asses have these days 

While we’re back on the loo roll subject it’s time to settle a debate. 

Is it supposed to hang towards the front or to the back. 

Personally l’ve never cared but apparently my housemate thinks I hang it the wrong way and he took great offence. 

6086F3E6-9377-4A96-B048-E3CA6B8159A7.thumb.jpeg.1f9d1cd7ca808a17fc42f30f3cc5e4d6.jpeg

Edited by squirrelarmy

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Personally l’ve never cared but apparently my housemate thinks I hang it the wrong way and he took great offence. 

13 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

soft strong ... and very well knitted 

Hang over the front ye heathen. 

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

6086F3E6-9377-4A96-B048-E3CA6B8159A7.thumb.jpeg.1f9d1cd7ca808a17fc42f30f3cc5e4d6.jpeg

If the patent for the toilet roll has an image of it over the front then you better believe it’s over the front.