Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Have a look at the majority of my posts in this thread. It’s mainly light humour trying to spread a touch of positivity. Don’t take things so seriously! 

Fair enough - it’s possibly an area where I do find it hard to see the funny side. 

I stick by my point about it being distasteful, but maybe a bit of an overreaction... I’ll take off the downvote anyway. Peace. 

1 minute ago, jimmillen said:

Fair enough - it’s possibly an area where I do find it hard to see the funny side. 

I stick by my point about it being distasteful, but maybe a bit of an overreaction... I’ll take off the downvote anyway. Peace. 

I’ll put yours back to 69 😉

On a positive note the China situation looks a lot better, and less cases now reported. So I make that about 3 months to get over the peak and out the other side,  if containment measures put in place? Am more worried about state of my S&S ISA after today than catching the virus🙁

9 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

Why is NYC getting hit much worse than London? Or at least it seems that way...

I don’t know for sure, but my guess would be Americans have terrible holiday and sick pay allowances. Generally this leads to people rocking up to work even when they’re ill. Couple this with the fact that their awful capitalist health care system means people have had to pay thousands to even be tested (don’t know if that’s still the case?) And Trump is deliberately down playing the virus, then you’ve got a recipe for disaster. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

With regards to people being worried that the government will propose certain measures just to be seen to be doing something this is taken directly from the BBC:

The Cobra meeting is expected to consider whether the UK should officially move into the "delay" phase.

The government has previously said "social distancing" measures to slow the spread of the virus could include a ban on sporting events and other large gatherings, and encouraging people to work from home rather than use crowded trains and buses.

Such a step would require agreement from chief medical officer Prof Chris Whitty and chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance, who are due to be at the meeting.

So according to this any such measures need to approval of the two people who are saying they aren’t necessary, so hopefully this means rational thinking will prevail. And by that I mean hopefully the right decision prevails irrespective of what that is, of the expert advice is to start cancelling things then so be it.

I was optimistic until I read a piece by one of WHO's 6 key advisors who assessed the UK to be about 2 weeks behind Italy. He was advocating the UK to restrict mass gatherings asap to try and avoid what's happening now in Italy, viz:  northern states locked down, gatherings banned and health services in Lombardy breaking down under the weight of suffers.

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t know for sure, but my guess would be Americans have terrible holiday and sick pay allowances. Generally this leads to people rocking up to work even when they’re ill. Couple this with the fact that their awful capitalist health care system means people have had to pay thousands to even be tested (don’t know if that’s still the case?) And Trump is deliberately down playing the virus, then you’ve got a recipe for disaster. 

Its still 1000s to test and they have tested barely anyone vs the size of their population. By not testing they can make it seem like they have less cases I guess

Just now, Lycra said:

I was optimistic until I read a piece by one of WHO's 6 key advisors who assessed the UK to be about 2 weeks behind Italy. He was advocating the UK to restrict mass gatherings asap to try and avoid what's happening now in Italy, viz:  northern states locked down, gatherings banned and health services in Lombardy breaking down under the weight of suffers.

That’s probably good news if you’re looking at it from just the will Glastonbury go ahead or not perspective. The measures in Italy are in place for a month, who knows what will happen when they end but they can’t go on indefinitely either way. If in two weeks we do the same and lock everything down for a month that still only takes us to end of April early May, still two months before Glastonbury. 

Spain is getting crazy unfortunately. 236 new cases just this morning, 1000 cases in the country and just in Madrid 450. Blocked soon :)

Maybe at the end the problem for me it's not going to be if Glasto it's cancel, it's flying there 😂😂

Edited by AlexOvd

1 minute ago, AlexOvd said:

Spain is getting crazy unfortunately. 236 new cases just this morning, 1000 cases in the country and just in Madrid 450. Blocked soon :)

Maybe at the end the problem for me it's not going to be if Glasto it's cancel, it's flying there 😂😂

One of my office mates (and in our glasto squad this year) is currently at a conference in Madrid, will be avoiding him once he's back! 

4 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

One of my office mates (and in our glasto squad this year) is currently at a conference in Madrid, will be avoiding him once he's back! 

To be honest. France in Germany are in the same boat and UK soon. There is no place to hide, actually China it looks now as a safe place 😂

4 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

I am just concerned that a decision will be made to cancel Glasto way too far in advance and we'll all be sat here at the end of June livid because everything's blown over. (or atleast much better). 

I would guess there is a good chance of this happening. All depends just how much much prior warning the festival will need for a definitive Yes/No decision. 

3 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

To be honest. France in Germany are in the same boat and UK soon. There is no place to hide, actually China it looks now as a safe place 😂

Antartica and Macau seem to be amongst the safest places to be right now. No point trying to arrange flights there though as they probably won’t let you in!

Edited by squirrelarmy

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

I would guess there is a good chance of this happening. All depends just how much much prior warning the festival will need for a definitive Yes/No decision. 

would they look to make a decision before the balance payment date? or push back the balance payment to maximise the time available to make an informed decision?