Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

Also to give a rough idea of what numbers we're taking about. The biggest killer in the UK is split between cancer and circulatory type disease. Roughly 150 thousand people in the UK die from circulatory disease, that means heart attacks, strokes etc. The health service doesn't fall apart. What's different is the type (respiratory) and the timescale (maybe 3 months). Cancer type illness, also about 150k. 

I understand everyone's concern here because it is frightening (even if unlikely to impact on you directly) but the best thing you could do to protect yourself?

Give up smoking.

Much much much more likely to actually harm you. 

Edited by semmtexx

5 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

Also to give a rough idea of what numbers we're taking about. The biggest killer in the UK is split between cancer and circulatory type disease. Roughly 150 thousand people in the UK die from circulatory disease, that means heart attacks, strokes etc. The health service doesn't fall apart. What's different is the type (respiratory) and the timescale (maybe 3 months). Cancer type illness, also about 150k. 

I understand everyone's concern here because it is frightening (even if unlikely to impact on you directly) but the best thing you could do to protect yourself?

Give up smoking.

Much much much more likely to actually harm you. 

What if I don’t smoke?

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

I was reading the BBC piece about the TOOL show and someone coming down with the virus.

Made me think of all the other concerts and sporting events that have since happened and there don't seem to be news reports of people getting sick after attending other specific events. The TOOL show appears to be an outlier.

This tells me that metalheads have extremely poor personal hygiene 

15 minutes ago, Homer said:

This tells me that metalheads have extremely poor personal hygiene 

Think someone had the virus and then attended a Tool concert in new zealand as of this moment no new cases stemming from that particular case. 

8 minutes ago, pryce said:

Think someone had the virus and then attended a Tool concert in new zealand as of this moment no new cases stemming from that particular case. 

My daughter has just been to an A Ha gig in Auckland. That’s worried me, where did I go wrong in her musical upbringing? 

1 hour ago, MrHew said:

I'm a mental health 1st aider so happy to DM if you need a chat. My advice would be to get a GP appointment to discuss options, be that medication, talking therapies or both. 

It can be hard to find the motivation when you're struggling with metal health but excersise really does help. It doesn't even need to be much, just getting out for a 20 minute walk a few times a week is a good start.

A good diet and reducing booze also helps.

I've definitely thought about exercising but even without the lack of motivation, it can be quite difficult with the fatigue I'm feeling, and the cold isn't good for my lungs at all. And yet I managed to climb a mountain back in October. Weird.

Probably should improve my diet too, but need to get myself motivated. Also need to get a load of cooking equipment and ingredients...

Also, can't reply to everyone but thanks for the support folks! It's getting late now but I may have to take up that offer of DM'ing some of you at some point. Hopefully soon we'll have the poster and I'll be overjoyed about it and focusing my thoughts on that instead of existential dread 😅

6 minutes ago, wilby-wilbert said:

At least we can all be glad it was cancelled when the weather is terrible. 

Given it still went ahead in 2005 and 2016 and I gathered there was some hideous weather in the run-up to that, I dread to think what the weather would need to be like for it to not go ahead.

Maybe if an ark was the only way to get to the Pyramid Stage, perhaps.

6 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Given it still went ahead in 2005 and 2016 and I gathered there was some hideous weather in the run-up to that, I dread to think what the weather would need to be like for it to not go ahead.

Maybe if an ark was the only way to get to the Pyramid Stage, perhaps.

The weather in the run-up to 2005 was fine and dandy. It was the month's worth of rain that fell in the early hours of Friday that caused issues!

34 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The weather in the run-up to 2005 was fine and dandy. It was the month's worth of rain that fell in the early hours of Friday that caused issues!

My bad I thought there'd been rain in the days leading up to the 2005 event as well as the images I recall seeing of an underwater campsite.