Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

48 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This may seem like an odd thing to say but I think what’s happening in Italy is a good thing, purely from the point of view of will Glastonbury go ahead or not.

The measures they’ve put in place are pretty drastic, but they’re only in place for a month. That’s an acknowledgement that they can’t go on like that indefinitely. Their economy and country would literally grind to a halt and collapse.

So as far as Glastonbury is concerned it’s all about timing, and in that regard we could be lucky or unlucky. If we find ourselves in Italy’s position in a months time it still might just about be ok, anything beyond that and Glastonbury risks getting caught slap bang in the middle of any such similar measures our government might decide to take.

Then again, depending on how comprehensive their insurance is (and businesses dependent on it), Glastonbury might see what way this is going and decide that its better financially to cut their losses now and cancel before ticket balances are due and construction starts rather than wait until May or early June. Might work out better financially to cancel outright than go ahead but have a lot of people either not pay off their balance or not end up attending (in which case the stalls might take a hit). Quite complex when you think about all the different repercussions. 

At this point it could go either way- I'd hate to be the person making the call! 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Then again, depending on how comprehensive their insurance is (and businesses dependent on it), Glastonbury might see what way this is going and decide that its better financially to cut their losses now and cancel before ticket balances are due and construction starts rather than wait until May or early June. Might work out better financially to cancel outright than go ahead but have a lot of people either not pay off their balance or not end up attending (in which case the stalls might take a hit). Quite complex when you think about all the different repercussions. 

At this point it could go either way- I'd hate to be the person making the call! 

I’d love to be the person making the call... it’s going ahead.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

But at this stage the numbers are way too low to have to consider cancelling it. It’s only if it escalates badly and we go down the Italy route it could happen. Of course that could happen, but it may not. It would be a massive overreaction at this stage for them to consider cutting their losses, especially with it being the 50th and all that will be planned, so surely all they can do for the time being is plough on regardless?

I don't think the UK will see a cluster like Italy did. They were clearly slow to respond, there were already hundreds of cases by the time they got around to actually testing large numbers of people. Yesterday when they announced an increase of 1200, 300 of those were diagnosed during the week before. It seems the UK and Ireland and hopefully the rest of the EU won't make the same mistakes. The fact that we are island nations will help. I think that's why the UK has 200 or so cases while France is heading for 1000. People move around in mainland europe like it's all one country. Plus them kissing each other on the cheek when they meet can't help things. Hope they've put a stop to that.

Drastic measures in Italy mostly due to hospitals at breaking point, people getting treated in corridors and the like. I’ve a hospital appt tomorrow and they’ve moved it from the main hospital to an outbuilding. She said was due to getting hospital prepared for space if they need it as and when things escalate here. Whatever happens I just hope those that need treated can get treated

44 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

But at this stage the numbers are way too low to have to consider cancelling it. It’s only if it escalates badly and we go down the Italy route it could happen. Of course that could happen, but it may not. It would be a massive overreaction at this stage for them to consider cutting their losses, especially with it being the 50th and all that will be planned, so surely all they can do for the time being is plough on regardless?

Probably! There's also the possibility that their insurance wouldn't cover them cancelling at this point, as likely it will require office government advice to cancel it to meet the criteria (like with holiday insurance) 

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

Probably! There's also the possibility that their insurance wouldn't cover them cancelling at this point, as likely it will require office government advice to cancel it to meet the criteria (like with holiday insurance) 

Yeah I was thinking that too. The reality is any insurance company are going to want to avoid paying out at all costs, so they’ll want it to go ahead, and it would be daft from their point of view to not have some conditions relating to what causes a cancellation as well. If the festival are adequately covered all they can do is carry on as normal until they are advised otherwise.

Even if it were to escalate in the UK China are 7 weeks in now and they have a handle on it. They currently have 30,000 active cases but the spread has slowed right down. The NHS seem to think that almost all cases will appear in the next 9 weeks which takes us up to the week ending april 26th. That's 2 months away from Glasto so I would hope that they can stick the course and not be forced to cancel when this will likely be mostly over by the end of june.

2 hours ago, Lycra said:

Washing you hands (and any other bits) properly with saop and water as advised for 20secs is the best defence against viral infection. Most of us have seen how to do it properly on a hospital program.

A good sanitiser works well on most (not all) virues but it needs to be left on the skin to dry naturally to have most effect. They also need to be rubbed well around all the hands; not just a cursory like squirt and quick smear round like most of us seem to do at fests.

I took a bottle of hand soap the last time I went in 2017 and I've just purchased one of those eco-refill pouches to take this year with a screw cap lid so quite easy to carry around without it squirting all over your bag 

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/291333322 

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

putting things into perspective a little everyone ....and yes the jump in uk cases will be expected  

IMG_6216.png

IMG_6217.png

* Buys lottery ticket *

Edited by plot2pot
Apostrophe abomination

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

putting things into perspective a little everyone ....and yes the jump in uk cases will be expected  

IMG_6216.png

IMG_6217.png

The problem with this argument is that it doesn't start from an equivalent premise. You simply can't take an emerging, exponentially spreading disease and make a coherent argument from the statistics at any given point in time during it's spread. You definitely can't compare those numbers to other regular contagions and reach any kind of sensible conclusion.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

The problem with this argument is that it doesn't start from an equivalent premise. You simply can't take an emerging, exponentially spreading disease and make a coherent argument from the statistics at any given point in time during it's spread. You definitely can't compare those numbers to other regular contagions and reach any kind of sensible conclusion.

trying to be positive :) 

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Funny how the premier league banned handshakes at the start of matches.... but at the end of the games they still hugged and shook hands 🤦‍♂️

This is the highlight of this crisis. Nothing is make based on an strategy, all for the pictures. 

10 minutes ago, carrie2 said:

I took a bottle of hand soap the last time I went in 2017 and I've just purchased one of those eco-refill pouches to take this year with a screw cap lid so quite easy to carry around without it squirting all over your bag 

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/291333322 

unavailable :) but i like the thought process :) 

Just now, Chrisp1986 said:

Only just entering this thread and I am NOT reading 149 pages, am I going to be dancing like a dick to Taylor on a Sunday night or not?

if thats how u dance anyway ... I dont think the virus has any effect on rubbish dancing :)