Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

their health service is in meltdown due to overload.

Their health service has been massively underfunded fpor quite some time.

I spent a rather uncomfortable week in an North Italian hospital  after comprehensively breaking myself almost exactly two years ago.

The hospital was clearly struggling and very short staffed.

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’ve just had a look through @Dusk1983’s posting history - it’s nothing but negative shite. Even before the virus it’s just moaning.

I will treat the negativity and deliberate scaremongering with the contempt it deserves.

Fair enough :P

24 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Quick question. I've been feeling pretty ill these past few months, it's a mix of symptoms that seems to change randomly , but I haven't felt "healthy" in a while. There's insomnia but also severe fatigue (alternates), overwhelming depression and anxiety to the point where minor things are making me panic, breathing feeling "difficult", coughing fits that make me vomit sometimes, etc.  I know it's unlikely to be Coronavirus though because I've had it before that all started.

Should I still go see a doctor? I keep telling myself that they'll be too busy dealing with all this Coronavirus crap which is putting me off going =\

Absolutely. Don’t feel like you shouldn’t see a doctor because of all this. Call 111 I’d advise and they will probably be able to direct you to somewhere specifically for this.

Also, you might be waiting for 111 but don’t think other issues are any less important.

2 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Their health service has been massively underfunded fpor quite some time.

I spent a rather uncomfortable week in an North Italian hospital  after comprehensively breaking myself almost exactly two years ago.

The hospital was clearly struggling and very short staffed.

Good job ours has been stewarded by an enlightened government making the necessary investments for the last decade...

Oh.

• Upvote 1

The Italy thing is quite a big deal. We have a short break planned to the Netherlands in April and our Flybe flights have been cancelled, but really not sure whether to rebook or cancel the whole thing. We have more cases than them at the moment, but so difficult to tell.

Proud to say no one is panic buying toilet roll in my local Tesco Metro! There's no hand sanitiser but everything else seems well stocked.

57 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Quick question. I've been feeling pretty ill these past few months, it's a mix of symptoms that seems to change randomly , but I haven't felt "healthy" in a while. There's insomnia but also severe fatigue (alternates), overwhelming depression and anxiety to the point where minor things are making me panic, breathing feeling "difficult", coughing fits that make me vomit sometimes, etc.  I know it's unlikely to be Coronavirus though because I've had it before that all started.

Should I still go see a doctor? I keep telling myself that they'll be too busy dealing with all this Coronavirus crap which is putting me off going =\

Yes! I think that one of the risks of coronavirus is that people who are sick with something else don't get treated because health systems are overwhelmed or even because people perceive them to be overwhelmed. They're not overwhelmed here yet - you should definitely go x

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I would 100% speak to the health service. It sounds like a fair amount of what you’re going through could also be on the mental side (as opposed to physical illness). If it’s impacting your day to day life then it’s worth a try.

if anything, they could probably give you coping strategies until you feel like you’re in a better place again. 

There’s a lot going on in the world right now but you have to look out for yourself first. Hope you feel better soon 😀

Edited by discgoesmic

13 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Yes! I think that one of the risks of coronavirus is that people who are sick with something else don't get treated because health systems are overwhelmed or even because people perceive them to be overwhelmed. They're not overwhelmed here yet - you should definitely go x

Agreed. They probably will be overwhelmed later, so @Gilgamesh69 should go now whilst there is still capacity.

6 minutes ago, pryce said:

South Korean death toll is remarkabley low compared with Italy... Age of population? 

They are doing vast amounts of testing, more than most places. Picking up a lot of the infections that are going under the radar elsewhere...

10 minutes ago, pryce said:

South Korean death toll is remarkabley low compared with Italy... Age of population? 

I'd guess higher testing rates:

Country
Tests Performed Tests per Million People
Population

South Korea
Italy

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/

Edit: which is why I think America has a worse problem than they think.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
America

3 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

On the alcohol hand cleaning, I had some methanol and my chemist son said, no, that's absorbed through the skin and will do you in. So stick to ethanol.

Soap! Washing your hands properly with soap also works! :)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

On the alcohol hand cleaning, I had some methanol and my chemist son said, no, that's absorbed through the skin and will do you in. So stick to ethanol.

Yep...stay away from methanol.  As little as 10ml ingested can cause permanent optic nerve damage and it also affects central nervous system.  The vapour when burned is nasty too. I used to run 80% methanol, 10% acetone, 10% petrol in a hill climb single seater and would always wear a mask when warming up.  More recently theories about it being carcinogenic have been somewhat disproved but it's still nasty stuff if not handled correctly.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

On a side note isn't it weird to have everyone talking about hand sanitiser all the time? Usually something fairly unique to my festival experience.

I was thinking this. If I go through my back pack and all my old festival bags that are in the loft I bet I could find 5 or 6 unused ones and the same again half empty

9 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Soap! Washing your hands properly with soap also works! :)

I think the (repeated) point is that it's not always easy to get to soap and water if you're out and about.  No one is suggesting we have a litre of hooch sitting by the bathroom tap.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Won’t a quarantine of an area just force mass movement of those people before the quarantine is in effect, thus spreading the virus even more so? Genuine question.

You'd hope that measures to restrict movement would be put in place simultaneous to an announcement.

3 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I think the (repeated) point is that it's not always easy to get to soap and water if you're out and about.  No one is suggesting we have a litre of hooch sitting by the bathroom tap.

Agreed, it was more of a reaction to use of methanol which, as you say, is dangerous.