Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

18 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Edit: So ones that don’t contain alcohol, who knows. Gotta be better than nothing 

Alcohol free sanitisers mainly use benzalkonium chloride as the active ingredient, and while it is better than nothing alcohol based products are recommended for full efficacy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

UK pop - 67mill - ONS

Worst case 80% get it and 95% of those over 9 week period - chief medical officer

20% need hospitalising - WHO

Critical care beds - less than 5000 - NHS 

He also said its more likely that far far less than that get it, but let's ignore that part, he said 80% of total cases likely to happen over 9 weeks not 80% of 50 odd million

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

The supposed sense in the delay phase is to keep numbers low so the NHS can cope and avoid a situation like what occurred in China. Question is no one, not even Chris Whitty, knows how long the delay phase. We also don't know what steps the government will enforce in the delay phase. Everyone is second guessing.....The media were at it this morning....football matches with max 500 spectators!

Sounds like the last 10 minutes at every match at the Arsenal.....

43 minutes ago, kalifire said:

You need to get better sources of information. Nothing you're posting is legit.

I didn’t claim that’s what I thought, it was for conversation. Carry on being a jerk though. 

They are scattered around our work, and this guy was on one about them not working, I leave him to it. 

Edited by Ozanne

35 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Sounds like the last 10 minutes at every match at the Arsenal.....

Im guessing they will delay it until spring or when ever the current seasonal flu begins to clear up beds, also they will want time to make new pop up facilities, get new workers on board, new ventilators made ect. Delaying it longer than spring and we could have it at it’s height by next winter, which will double up with the seasonal flu. If they can’t stop it, they some how need to have people get it in batches, and providing people can’t get it again, then breaks in the population will appear where it can not go any further, bridges will be burned. I’ve only read that one person has caught it again, whether that’s true or not I don’t know. Wrong quote

Edited by waynewdk

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

9EB38A57-6339-4085-9FD3-BFFFB97F0EB1.thumb.jpeg.870e3ef0e9c0b56990bea1c9a8a73e96.jpeg

I'm all out of upvotes for today!

On a side note, I suffer from OCD so if this outbreak had happened a few years ago during the worst of my OCD, I'd be struggling. I used to wash my hands so many times especially before going to bed, it was draining. Fortunately I can handle those thoughts better these days, it's made me think about it though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That sounds like a funky job to have. I don't mean to pry but was just wondering if that's a case of feast and famine, or are you rarely out of work? Tell me to mind my own business if it's appropriate to do so. 

Not at all, pry away. To be honest, despite being freelance, I do work for the same couple of clients a lot which is kind of cheating! But because of that I've rarely been out of work. There have been short quiet times though. Upsides are that I can dictate my own holidays and I often work from home. Downsides are the uncertainty and lack of sick pay. So if I got coronavirus it would really suck. But self isolating would be fine as could just work from home. Would go a bit mad though if I couldn't leave the house at all.

what is it with toilet rolls and Pasta ?? I could understand Kleenex and paracetamol but simply can't put those other  two items together.

I was in Marks and Spencer today and a young lady had got 6 packets of dried spaghetti, cashier said she shouldn't be stockpiling , to which she replied "Tesco had run out and I needed some anyway "

A , dried pasta is pretty rank and fresh lasts quite a long time or make your own and B, what is the link between loo roll, pasta and the virus?

As an ageing  person I really am not understanding this practice at all , maybe you young things can enlighten me to it 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

This thread by its very nature will evoke strong emotions ..... we must retain a level of decency when hearing different views and thoughts to ours .... I dont think anyone wants the festival to be cancelled,  but we must be open to the fact it is possible and other people might be thinking like that .... I sway from day to day(  even hour  by hour)   in my thoughts so its not impossible for others to be fixed on one view or the other . ... hopefully though we can try continue with a decent friendly build up and the other threads to go ahead as normal .... keeping this virus contained to this thread .... peace out and happy weekend all 

I would seem to me that 1 or 2 posters on the thread would like it to be cancelled just so they can feel vindicated that they were right all along , I myself bounce from yes it will happen, to no it won't , but one thing for sure is it's all out of our control

2 hours ago, Lycra said:

That's correct. I have always maintained that there is no current justification to cancel any event in the UK but that could change at any point. Currently the UK is still in the containment phase of the outbreak, teetering on entering the next phase of action as outlined by Chris Whitty...Delay....

Delay means slowing the rate of infection and to do that need to change the behaviour of the public. Catch it, kill it, bin it and washing hands regularly are already out there as part of this campaign. Other steps to reduce transmission rates will be announced if deemed necessary.

I think I wrote over 100 pages back that what happens in March will be the key to determining if Glasto goes ahead. 

It could happen, it's not a profit based festival either so the festival unlike others won't lose money through it. I was shocked to see Miami Ultra cancelled, Abu Dhabi not so much. I was thinking of making a stop going home to Dubai and suddenly now though that in 4 weeks time that might not be a wise move....the other option is Thailand but unsure that helps either.

34 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Not at all, pry away. To be honest, despite being freelance, I do work for the same couple of clients a lot which is kind of cheating! But because of that I've rarely been out of work. There have been short quiet times though. Upsides are that I can dictate my own holidays and I often work from home. Downsides are the uncertainty and lack of sick pay. So if I got coronavirus it would really suck. But self isolating would be fine as could just work from home. Would go a bit mad though if I couldn't leave the house at all.

I'm 100% the same with the freelancing - so glad I dont need to commute and sit in a petri dish or illnesses office every day even in normal circumstances! 

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lycra said:

That's correct. I have always maintained that there is no current justification to cancel any event in the UK but that could change at any point. Currently the UK is still in the containment phase of the outbreak, teetering on entering the next phase of action as outlined by Chris Whitty...Delay....

Delay means slowing the rate of infection and to do that need to change the behaviour of the public. Catch it, kill it, bin it and washing hands regularly are already out there as part of this campaign. Other steps to reduce transmission rates will be announced if deemed necessary.

I think I wrote over 100 pages back that what happens in March will be the key to determining if Glasto goes ahead. 

How are you supposed to be containing it if you let all the mass gatherings take place?

1 hour ago, babyblade41 said:

what is it with toilet rolls and Pasta ?? I could understand Kleenex and paracetamol but simply can't put those other  two items together.

I was in Marks and Spencer today and a young lady had got 6 packets of dried spaghetti, cashier said she shouldn't be stockpiling , to which she replied "Tesco had run out and I needed some anyway "

A , dried pasta is pretty rank and fresh lasts quite a long time or make your own and B, what is the link between loo roll, pasta and the virus?

As an ageing  person I really am not understanding this practice at all , maybe you young things can enlighten me to it 

I think it's all about the fear of having to self quarantine for a prolonged period of time, combined with concerns that there may be issues in the supply chain, making it difficult to get more food/bog roll when needed.

Toilet roll is an essential and dried pasta is a food that doesn't take up a lot of space, although personally, rice seems like a better bet to me.

I'm not saying this reasoning is right or wrong, but I believe those are the reasons. Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think it's all about the fear of having to self quarantine for a prolonged period of time, combined with concerns that there may be issues in the supply chain, making it difficult to get more food/bog roll when needed.

Toilet roll is an essential and dried pasta is a food that doesn't take up a lot of space, although personally, rice seems like a better bet to me.

I'm not saying this reasoning is right or wrong, but I believe those are the reasons. Hope this helps.

This guy had the right idea all along...

06F575F9-BAB5-499E-8FAB-9B809BDBE23F.jpeg

• Upvote 1