Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

47 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Stop trying to wind people up. Yes it's not a good moment but it isn't as bad as you are making it out to be, last weekend you were saying there was no chance the festival goes ahead kind of like you'd be happy to see it cancel. The language you use could easily make people panic,  I have family that work in the medical profession who say things aren't as bad as they seem in the media. The language you are using is irresponsible.

I appreciate your background and knowledge but it wouldn't hurt to let people enjoy the hope even if its just for a bit. Say it does get cancelled then people will have had the worry on top of the disappointment whereas with a bit of possible good news at last there's some positivity before the disappointment.

The positivity is that it ain't happened yet and as I have stated, the chances of catching the virus at present are extremely low and there is no current justification for cancelling anything. But things can change quite quickly. The outbreaks in China, Iran and the closed sect  in South Korea didn't spontaneously become large. They were allowed to grow large because of ignorance and people being in denial. Fortunately we live in an open society and by being open and honest, discussing the issues and potential ramifications, like Chris Whitty and others have, we are in a far better place to confront this menace. As they say, the first part of tackling a problem is acknowledging there is a problem

Edited by Lycra

5 minutes ago, Lycra said:

The positivity is that it ain't happened yet and as I have stated, the chances of catching the virus at present are extremely low and there is no current justification for cancelling anything. But things can change quite quickly. The outbreaks in China, Iran and the closed sexy in South Korea didn't spontaneously become large. They were allowed to grow large because of ignorance and people being in denial. Fortunately we live in an open society and by being open and honest, discussing the issues and potential ramifications, like Chris Whitty and others have, we are in a far better place to confront this menace. As they say, the first part of tackling a problem is acknowledging there is a problem

By positivity I meant when someone comes here and posts a story saying large mass gatherings should go head or what not then a few posts later you post saying why that isn't as good as it seems. I saw it a few times and whilst I appreciate it's part of the conversation wouldn't it be ok just to leave that bit of hope there. Either way I'm not disputing any of your post above, people in general should be cautious and careful.

This thread by its very nature will evoke strong emotions ..... we must retain a level of decency when hearing different views and thoughts to ours .... I dont think anyone wants the festival to be cancelled,  but we must be open to the fact it is possible and other people might be thinking like that .... I sway from day to day(  even hour  by hour)   in my thoughts so its not impossible for others to be fixed on one view or the other . ... hopefully though we can try continue with a decent friendly build up and the other threads to go ahead as normal .... keeping this virus contained to this thread .... peace out and happy weekend all 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, waynewdk said:

Upto 206 now

It's going to go up to a few thousand, which still isn't alot but will be thought of as the end of the world as currently the media are making out the entire of Italy is some post apocalyptic wasteland 

12 minutes ago, pryce said:

To be fair you were saying that he wasn't taking into account the trajectory of the virus when he said it was not beneficial to cancel large events. 

That's correct. I have always maintained that there is no current justification to cancel any event in the UK but that could change at any point. Currently the UK is still in the containment phase of the outbreak, teetering on entering the next phase of action as outlined by Chris Whitty...Delay....

Delay means slowing the rate of infection and to do that need to change the behaviour of the public. Catch it, kill it, bin it and washing hands regularly are already out there as part of this campaign. Other steps to reduce transmission rates will be announced if deemed necessary.

I think I wrote over 100 pages back that what happens in March will be the key to determining if Glasto goes ahead. 

2 minutes ago, Lycra said:

That's correct. I have always maintained that there is no current justification to cancel any event in the UK but that could change at any point. Currently the UK is still in the containment phase of the outbreak, teetering on entering the next phase of action as outlined by Chris Whitty...Delay....

Delay means slowing the rate of infection and to do that need to change the behaviour of the public. Catch it, kill it, bin it and washing hands regularly are already out there as part of this campaign. Other steps to reduce transmission rates will be announced if deemed necessary.

I think I wrote over 100 pages back that what happens in March will be the key to determining if Glasto goes ahead. 

But by the end of June we will be out of the delay phase as there is zero sense in pushing the infections back so they start to overlap with the next flu season. If Glastonbury was in April we may well be fucked but it isnt.

10 minutes ago, sisco said:

Is that the number that have it? Does it take into consideration those that have recovered?

Of course not, media doesn't mention recovered, also makes out that they are all in hospital when most are at home 

2 minutes ago, mcshed said:

But by the end of June we will be out of the delay phase as there is zero sense in pushing the infections back so they start to overlap with the next flu season. If Glastonbury was in April we may well be fucked but it isnt.

The supposed sense in the delay phase is to keep numbers low so the NHS can cope and avoid a situation like what occurred in China. Question is no one, not even Chris Whitty, knows how long the delay phase. We also don't know what steps the government will enforce in the delay phase. Everyone is second guessing.....The media were at it this morning....football matches with max 500 spectators!

13 minutes ago, sisco said:

Is that the number that have it? Does it take into consideration those that have recovered?

That’s total cases 18 have recovered, don’t know how many are critical, this link has some good data, others countries show how many critical, it may be early for the UK as no results in that box but other countries there is, its live too so keeps refreshing

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I learnt to be a pedant in my last job. If I didn't then the contractors would walk all over me. If every single little thing wasn't mentioned in a specification, then they'd be cost implications. I guess your job is the same? Obviously if you are in contract law, then it's a given.

Nah, freelance editor.

27 minutes ago, Lycra said:

The supposed sense in the delay phase is to keep numbers low so the NHS can cope and avoid a situation like what occurred in China. Question is no one, not even Chris Whitty, knows how long the delay phase. We also don't know what steps the government will enforce in the delay phase. Everyone is second guessing.....The media were at it this morning....football matches with max 500 spectators!

Yes but you are doing that against the background levels off stress the NHS is under which is worse during the winter, so whilst you don't ever want too sharp a peak, if it's going to peak you want that over the summer.

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The guy I sit next to at work is adamant that anti-bacterial gels don't work against virus'.

Alcohol above 60% kills the package surrounding corona virus, thus killing it or rendering it useless (as i understand it). 

Edit: So ones that don’t contain alcohol, who knows. Gotta be better than nothing 

Edited by whitehorses

12 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

UK pop - 67mill - ONS

Worst case 80% get it and 95% of those over 9 week period - chief medical officer

20% need hospitalising - WHO

Critical care beds - less than 5000 - NHS 

Is Glastonbury more or less than 9 weeks away?