Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

7 minutes ago, kalifire said:

None of our local supermarkets have had any in stock for days. All toilet paper, tissues and kitchen towels are out of stock everywhere. We have enough supply at home for another week or so. After that, we're quite literally up shit creek.

Is there any reason why it’s so crazy in Australia? 

Just now, morph100 said:

Just got notified first confirmed case at my work, I do work at a University though so was expected.

Eek. Scary when it closes in, isn't it?

The first case from a nearby surburb came in today as well. The State of Victoria's 11th case is only a bloody doctor, who's treated loads of people since returning with it from the US. Let joy be unrestrained.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Is there any reason why it’s so crazy in Australia? 

Not really. Just your bog-standard [Relatively minor risk] + [state of human beings] + [media] = [increased state of human beings]

I am 50/50 on whether the festival will go ahead at present. The decider maybe the willingness of international acts to tour over the summer. For example is T Swift really going to carry on with touring around the EU festival circuit and even if willing to personally what about trying to get insurance? 

Trump alludes to 'natural ability' in medicine

US President Donald Trump has suggested he might have "a natural ability" in medical research, as his government fended off criticism of an inadequate response to the coronavirus outbreak.

On a tour of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, he told reporters: “I like this stuff. I really get it." 

Mr Trump said he had had a “great, super-genius uncle” who taught at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. 

“People are really surprised I understand this stuff. Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-51781573

What a time for this delusional twit to be in charge

Edited by Mr.Tease
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Fair enough, but what you actually said was "That’s a proper defeatist mentality, if you’re prepared and motivated nothing can stand in your way on ticket day. "

Clearly luck and all those other people can stand in your way! 

Fair enough, but what I actually meant was,

"That’s a proper defeatist mentality, if you’re prepared and motivated only bad luck can stand in your way"

So liam and neol are sat at home thinking how can we get oasis back together without us both looking like a pair of Dicks !! 

I know liam says we will create a virus and release it around the globe and when all the international acts wont travel we can reform at the 11th hour and headline the pyramid and save the day 🤣🤣🤣

4 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Why do this? Every time I’ve seen someone come here with a possible bit of good news or hope you quickly pour cold water over it. Can’t you let people have the hope for a bit, what does dampening expectations really do?

Because I'm a medical scientist. We deal in facts, face realism and work in probabilities......just like Prof Whitty. I am optimistic that Glasto can still go ahead, its really a numbers waiting game. It's still to early to call.  

Edited by Lycra
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Because I'm a medical scientist. We deal in facts, face realsim and work in probabilities......just like Prof Whitty

I heartily agree. I think vast majority of public are yet to understand what’s about to hit us both in terms of the infection itself but also the society changes we’re all going to have to adapt to for possibly many months. If you believe in science you should be really concerned. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Splatt said:

I heartily agree. I think vast majority of public are yet to understand what’s about to hit us both in terms of the infection itself but also the society changes we’re all going to have to adapt to for possibly many months. If you believe in science you should be really concerned. 

Agreed. Unfortunately, confirmation bias is rife here. I don't begrudge people their ignorance - we're all on that spectrum somewhere - but it gets a bit much when people shout down those who're qualified in their field, or have at least done due diligence, because they'd quite like things to go their way. We'd all love for Glastonbury 50 to happen, and we'd all be gutted if it didn't, but that's not an argument.

23 minutes ago, Splatt said:

Stop trying to wind people up. Yes it's not a good moment but it isn't as bad as you are making it out to be, last weekend you were saying there was no chance the festival goes ahead kind of like you'd be happy to see it cancel. The language you use could easily make people panic,  I have family that work in the medical profession who say things aren't as bad as they seem in the media. The language you are using is irresponsible.

41 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Because I'm a medical scientist. We deal in facts, face realism and work in probabilities......just like Prof Whitty. I am optimistic that Glasto can still go ahead, its really a numbers waiting game. It's still to early to call.  

I appreciate your background and knowledge but it wouldn't hurt to let people enjoy the hope even if its just for a bit. Say it does get cancelled then people will have had the worry on top of the disappointment whereas with a bit of possible good news at last there's some positivity before the disappointment.

48 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I get paid to be pedantic so it's hard to shake it off! 

I learnt to be a pedant in my last job. If I didn't then the contractors would walk all over me. If every single little thing wasn't mentioned in a specification, then they'd be cost implications. I guess your job is the same? Obviously if you are in contract law, then it's a given.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yes it's not a good moment but it isn't as bad as you are making it out to be

Can you elaborate please? Also I don’t appreciate your personal attacks. I’m raising my own opinions and not commenting on anyone else’s. Everyone is free to make up their own mind. 

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I appreciate your background and knowledge but it wouldn't hurt to let people enjoy the hope even if its just for a bit.

Suggesting that somebody with "background and knowledge" is therefore stopping people from 'enjoying the hope' is a false equivalency. It's not up to the people who know what they're talking about to cater for your sensibilities, it's up to you to compartmentalise.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

To be fair you were saying that he wasn't taking into account the trajectory of the virus when he said it was not beneficial to cancel large events. 

• Upvote 1