Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

24 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

The odds are so low I'll ever get the chance to go again. Just realizing that fucking sucks so bad. Praying that it goes ahead. If it doesn't, I hope to god that I have a 2021 automatically, because I don't realistically see it happening in my life otherwise.

Why are the odds low that you'll be able to go again? 

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm not saying you should spend £100 on hand sanitizer, but you do know that whiskey isn't strong enough - it should be around 60%.

Just in case you were serious :)

There's a lot of misconeptions of this going around, saw a random thing on Facebook saying because it needs 60% you should use 2 shots of vodka. 

50 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Those bottles cost about £3 each normally.  Mark up of over 500 percent.

Ah yes fair enough....I was simply extrapolating the cost per 50ml and comparing with the average 50ml bottle...which is now somewhere north of a quid.... 

8 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

There's a lot of misconeptions of this going around, saw a random thing on Facebook saying because it needs 60% you should use 2 shots of vodka. 

I think the overall strength of what you use on your hands needs to be around 60%+ alcohol.  Which means average vodka etc is way below no matter how much you use even neat, and if you cut it with aloe vera gel you essentially dilute it even further.  High strength isopropyl alcohol will be 99%+ so if you cut it 2/1 with gel you just about get in at around 65%.

57 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

I don't see myself being able to get tickets again after how hard it has been in the past.

That’s a proper defeatist mentality, if you’re prepared and motivated nothing can stand in your way on ticket day. 

I'm probably not even going but I really hope glasto doesn't get cancelled, saying that if they do start cancelling large scale events it will probably be the first to go. The UK may have a different approach than other countries though and it's possible the virus could be on the way out put by June.

4 hours ago, theevilfridge said:

SXSW have been made to do it by the City of Austin. Not their choice.

And Coachella is in the hands of Riverside County health authorities.

While everyone wasnt paying attention, they had a press  confereNce yesterday about this. They have not told anyone to cancel anything. There are zero cases in Riverside county and those existing cases in Los Angeles county are not community spread.  The only way to cancel Coachella is if Riverside County Health moved into a state of emergency which would trigger a mass gathering event to have to not move forward.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/2020/03/05/coronavirus-cancel-coachella-county-official-says-not-yet/4958589002/

and lets not forget the $800 million issue at hand if Coachella and Stagecoach ( remember theres a country fest right after in the same venue ) did not happen. What does Glastonbury generate for local business? SXSW was estimated to generate $350 million for the local economy this year, now thats all gone. 

Edited by Suprefan

As there are people on here at both ends of the panic scale, it will be the same on the various councils or responsible government bodies. 

Some will be sensible and listen to the experts and some will be risk adverse and panicky.

Our friends in Whitty and Calderwood are saying the right things, let’s hope everyone continues to listen to them  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm not saying you should spend £100 on hand sanitizer, but you do know that whiskey isn't strong enough - it should be around 60%.

Just in case you were serious :)

A Scot suggesting rubbing whisky on his hands instead of drinking it?  Absolutely no suggestion I was serious! 

2EE1234B-6437-4FD8-B1BA-729169B98009.jpeg.45c2525025c446c974d31d0276df16db.jpeg

this stuff might kill the virus, certainly would make you forget it if it’s drunk! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

Number of infections in Europe double in 3 days. Italy already taken steps to limit gatherings by closing venues/schools etc. France moving up the response scale toward that. In Germany infections have rocketed in a week from 38 to over 600. There the politicians have reacted slowly and I read this is to the dismay of some health professionals and sections of the public. Is this a foretaste of what we can expect in the UK? Will Germany eventually move to limit mass gatherings? Interesting one to watch as the UK could be following a similar track.

Edited by Lycra

The way I see it, if you’re (the government) are going to cancel large scale gatherings like Glastonbury, then you also need to completely close the borders and stop all flights in and out. what’s the point of trying to contain it within the country, when any hard work to do so can be completely undone by individuals entering from anywhere else in the world? I can’t ever see that happening, so don’t cancel larger events as it won’t really help anyway.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The way I see it, if you’re (the government) are going to cancel large scale gatherings like Glastonbury, then you also need to completely close the borders and stop all flights in and out. what’s the point of trying to contain it within the country, when any hard work to do so can be completely undone by individuals entering from anywhere else in the world? I can’t ever see that happening, so don’t cancel larger events as it won’t really help anyway.

I think with what happened in Austin there was a petition started as well that didn't help and someone somewhere has to be seen to be taking the action some want .

As this undoubtedly will gather momentum and even slowing down here by May , I am starting to think that GF could well be called upon to cancel.  Not everyone enjoys the festival and may think it's a totally unnecessary event and certain people could take notice 

If it isn't the positive could be a lot more tickets in the resale which  will possibly be held later as will the final payment of existing ticket holders .. always an upside ..

I think I am more worried now with this latest cancellation as it is such a biggie .  I'm still convinced though it is the performers who will be more of a threat of not wanting to turn up and  the legend slot and PM are well within the vulnerable age group 

8 hours ago, TownesMR said:

Man, fuck this. Wish I could time travel to June.

If I could time travel there’s a fair few I’ve missed over the years that I’d go back and do first. Then I’d probably go back to some of the ones I did go to - one way of sorting the clashes out. Would have to try and avoid bumping into myself though!

I just read this, which makes for interesting reading on how Coachella is being viewed right now. I really don't like thinking it, but it really could be cancelled. If it does, then others will probably follow its lead... (I hope they don't but I'm beginning to get a bit worried now.. )

https://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/business/touring/9329166/coachella-coronavirus-could-cancel-analysis

3 minutes ago, sime said:

I just read this, which makes for interesting reading on how Coachella is being viewed right now. I really don't like thinking it, but it really could be cancelled. If it does, then others will probably follow its lead... (I hope they don't but I'm beginning to get a bit worried now.. )

https://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/business/touring/9329166/coachella-coronavirus-could-cancel-analysis

Glastonbury is late June where this is early April, hopefully that extra time is important.

7 hours ago, lukethekid said:

That’s a proper defeatist mentality, if you’re prepared and motivated nothing can stand in your way on ticket day. 

I agree they were being defeatist but this is also not true. Some people always have to miss out as demand is greater than supply, no matter how prepared or motivated. I was both in October and far from my first rodeo. I get that there are further opportunities but I think this poster is abroad which does limit how late you can leave it to confirm your spot.

All that said, I stand by my point that I've had about a 70% success rate in the main sale, so it certainly isn't impossible and shouldn't be assumed that one chance is all you get, as they seemed to be.

10 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Glastonbury is late June where this is early April, hopefully that extra time is important.

That’s the crucial point, we still have enough time! No one will cancel any event prematurely, and it certainly doesn’t need to be decided on at this stage. Remember Japan is insisting the Olympics will be on. 

I need to stay off here cos it's depressing as hell but I can't understand the mass panic when the numbers of people diagnosed across the globe are still so low compared to population size. I really can't grasp why people need to be updated hourly on a virus that it so far less deadly than the common flu.