Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

4 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Yeah realised the way it was worded was a bit daft, not so much what we want, we obviously don’t want people being poorly but in regards to the festival going ahead. If they where trying to delay it coming to fruition they would be cancelling events and stuff but if there’s no point in delaying it because it’s then so widespread if you get what I’m saying. 

its going to be on an upward trajectory for a while yet unfortunately .... just hope that the peak / drop-off shows before any decision has been made on the festival 

1 minute ago, gmb1992 said:

Isn't it the death rate of people who have contracted coronavirus?

So out of 3000ish  people 114ish have died in Italy 

There is also the unreported cases and considering alot only show slight cold like symptoms I'm guessing there will be thousands not tested with it

40 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Could be a lot worse though

Looks like the number is broadly in line with expectations, also that this would be the number infected 1-3 weeks ago, so they’d be a lot more right now. S Korea and Italy experienced similar increases. The thing with exponential growth is it takes a little while to get to the bigger numbers and then suddenly it gets very frighteningly large very quickly. Currently looking on course to have similar numbers as Italy in just over a week so expect some control measures to be implemented in the next week. 

Edited by Splatt

6 minutes ago, Splatt said:

Looks like the number is broadly in line with expectations, also that this would be the number infected 1-3 weeks ago, so they’d be a lot more right now. S Korea and Italy experienced similar increases. The thing with exponential growth is it takes a little while to get to the bigger numbers and then suddenly it gets very frighteningly large very quickly. Currently looking on course to have similar numbers as Italy in just over a week so expect some control measures to be implemented in the next week. 

This is the thing that does baffle me. 
Yes everything is going as predicted so why are we waiting to implement control measures? Surely we should have implemented them as soon as possible to prevent a copy of what’s happening in other countries. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

13 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Yes everything is going as predicted so why are we waiting to implement control measures? Surely we should have implemented them as soon as possible to prevent a copy of what’s happening in other countries. 

Because we’ve got to let the epidemic run it’s course. We’re past the point where it can be contained therefore however many people will ultimately be infected will be the same control measures or not. The control measure simply attempt to control the speed of spread so that healthcare can cope and rest of society continue to function as long as possible. If we put delay controls in now we’d halt the spread now but it’s likely we can cope with the current numbers therefore it’s wise to let it run so we can get over the epidemic as quickly as possible with minimum pain.
People point to China still having relatively low numbers and we should emulate them but this is because they’ve still got massive controls in place. In a global society they will have to release them eventually and allow infection to spread across the rest of their population. Unless of course they intend to keep Wuhan and the area locked down for ever. 

Edited by Splatt

18 minutes ago, Stu H said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51765401

"Asked about the potential impact on major events, Dr Calderwood said: "The emerging scientific advice is that large-scale gatherings, particularly those in the open air probably don't make a big impact on the transmission of the virus in the community."

Wonder how Glasto would manage the "stay 2m apart" advice 🤔

17 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Agree, seems Boris has missed the boat on this one. We're still letting flights in from all over the world including Italy and Iran, very bizarre. No or very little checks at enter points happening. No official ban on large crowds.

But hey, keep washing your hands and singing songs.

Thank goodness it isn't a deadly virus with no vaccine!!!

53 minutes ago, Stu H said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51765401

"Asked about the potential impact on major events, Dr Calderwood said: "The emerging scientific advice is that large-scale gatherings, particularly those in the open air probably don't make a big impact on the transmission of the virus in the community."

I've always said what a top bloke that Dr Calderwood is.

just had a phone call from work ( a supermarket ) asking me to come in early tomorrow .... they are desperate please please stay out the shops guys ... you won't get anything you want anyway ... why the hell are you filling cupboards with bog roll ?!!... totally unprecidented in all my retail career ..... 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Just got this email from Reading Festival. 

D9D0ADB8-2DD8-4680-8E04-EEE2DF488BA8.png

Why would a festival taking place in SIX months comment on the situation?

People’s hysteria, panic and constant asking will turn cancellations into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Edited by Karlos12345

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

just had a phone call from work ( a supermarket ) asking me to come in early tomorrow .... they are desperate please please stay out the shops guys ... you won't get anything you want anyway ... why the hell are you filling cupboards with bog roll ?!!... totally unprecidented in all my retail career ..... 

I need to go shopping just for general stuff, my beer supply is getting low. I really could do with some bog roll anyway.

I really can’t be bothered with the usual Friday night crowds let alone when they’ve been ramped up to a frenzy of panic buying. 

Ok deep breaths. This needs to be said. 

PEOPLE OF BRITAIN. 

CALM THE FUCK DOWN!!!

1 hour ago, HattersBoy said:

My current concern is that its Friday night shopping night and we do need toilet rolls. There better be some when I get there!

Just back from Aldi and there was plenty. I bought some but only because we needed some!