Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

If anything is making this worse than it actually is then it’s Sky News. Minute by minute updates and whilst their coverage of it is extensive it’s making people panic. Why do you need an hour long episode on it every day? Why do you need to receive mobile phone notifications by the hour with updated numbers of those that are infected? That’s then causing people to go to social media and post a lot of bollocks that people then believe to be true to make even more people panic. So as much as I agree that social media is a cause for this outbreak of being completely blown out of proportion the route cause of it all is Kay Burley and her non-moving botox filled face. 

The simple answer for why media is giving us wall to wall coverage is because people want to know what’s happening. 

The media will hype it up as every view, click or newspaper purchase means more money for the media companies from advertising. They will be loving this crisis and earning an absolute fortune from it. 

Stick to independent news sources, use ad blockers (not on this site obviously) and avoid trash like the red tops as much as possible. 

17 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

If anything is making this worse than it actually is then it’s Sky News. Minute by minute updates and whilst their coverage of it is extensive it’s making people panic. Why do you need an hour long episode on it every day? Why do you need to receive mobile phone notifications by the hour with updated numbers of those that are infected? That’s then causing people to go to social media and post a lot of bollocks that people then believe to be true to make even more people panic. So as much as I agree that social media is a cause for this outbreak of being completely blown out of proportion the route cause of it all is Kay Burley and her non-moving botox filled face. 

Well Sky News arent making the virus worse.... but they are making people worse! Which when it comes down to is what the real problem could be...

The main stream media + stupid people = a mess

See general election for example... :D :D 

Edited by Havors

Just now, Havors said:

Well Sky News arent making the virus worse.... but they are making people worse! Which when it comes down to is what the real problem could be...

Sky news is for Sun readers who can't read

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The simple answer for why media is giving us wall to wall coverage is because people want to know what’s happening. 

The media will hype it up as every view, click or newspaper purchase means more money for the media companies from advertising. They will be loving this crisis and earning an absolute fortune from it. 

Stick to independent news sources, use ad blockers (not on this site obviously) and avoid trash like the red tops as much as possible. 

Obviously people want to know what’s happening but the more people know the more people will panic and believe the situation is something the world has never seen before, which it has and dealt with accordingly. 

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

I obviously was referring to the whole situation and not just the virus 😂, the public reaction seems to be spiralling out of control. Already seeing shop shelves empty of soap and sanitiser (good thing that people are taking note that they need to keep their hands clean), but if it continues you could potentially see people start panic buying everyday groceries and toiletries and we don’t need that. People need to calm down.

11 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Obviously people want to know what’s happening but the more people know the more people will panic and believe the situation is something the world has never seen before, which it has and dealt with accordingly. 

I obviously was referring to the whole situation and not just the virus 😂, the public reaction seems to be spiralling out of control. Already seeing shop shelves empty of soap and sanitiser (good thing that people are taking note that they need to keep their hands clean), but if it continues you could potentially see people start panic buying everyday groceries and toiletries and we don’t need that. People need to calm down.

I hope im right in thinking its just going to be a little 2 weeks panic and then people will wake up and be pissed off they wasted a load of money on sanitiser and toilet roll that they have too much of... 

Studying the people shopping today was incredible ... we didn’t have a single panic buyer amongst them ... despite most trolleys being full to overflowing ... the conversations between people equally incredible ... normally only once a year do you hear the standard comment of ... you’d think the world was going to end !! Come on I reckon most of you utter it at Christmas :) 

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

The BUY MY BOOK!!! comment directly underneath should tell you all you need to know...

Struggling to see why you got a downvotes for that. Unless it's because you didn't say "I bet the Kardashian are kicking themselves for missing that one"😁

15 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Studying the people shopping today was incredible ... we didn’t have a single panic buyer amongst them ... despite most trolleys being full to overflowing ... the conversations between people equally incredible ... normally only once a year do you hear the standard comment of ... you’d think the world was going to end !! Come on I reckon most of you utter it at Christmas :) 

Haven’t seen any yet, how is yours shop doing for sanitiser Crazy? I was in Home Bargains on Wednesday and speaking to a member of their staff she told me that 6 cases of sanitiser came in in the morning, the cage that they were on was brought out to the shop floor, the cases were taken off the cage and then all 6 cases were gone before they even got to the shelf.

4 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Haven’t seen any yet, how is yours shop doing for sanitiser Crazy? I was in Home Bargains on Wednesday and speaking to a member of their staff she told me that 6 cases of sanitiser came in in the morning, the cage that they were on was brought out to the shop floor, the cases were taken off the cage and then all 6 cases were gone before they even got to the shelf.

we had 2 cases in today .... the home shop department took 1 for van drivers ...and the second lasted maybe 1 min ... no liquid soap .... but I cant see how long people will behave like this .... it might take a week or two but im sure supplies in the hardest hit areas will recover .... picking homeshopping and choosing substitutes is a nightmare at the moment ... how much soap or bog roll do people need 

5 hours ago, Sasperella said:

I have tickets to see Micheal Kiwanuka at Barrowlands on the 13th March. Got an email last night saying it's been postponed 😞 They didn't mention coronavirus but I assume it's that?

He had to cut short his Bournemouth show on Tuesday so that is probably connected

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18279624.review-michael-kiwanuka-o2-academy-bournemouth/

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

we had 2 cases in today .... the home shop department took 1 for van drivers ...and the second lasted maybe 1 min ... no liquid soap .... but I cant see how long people will behave like this .... it might take a week or two but im sure supplies in the hardest hit areas will recover .... picking homeshopping and choosing substitutes is a nightmare at the moment ... how much soap or bog roll do people need 

Mad isn’t it, I do think the retail staff need to be taken care of. So if we get more in, (which I don’t know when we’re going to now) a good chunk’ll be transferred over to be given to staff. 

Just now, lukethekid said:

Mad isn’t it, I do think the retail staff need to be taken care of. So if we get more in, (which I don’t know when we’re going to now) a good chunk’ll be transferred over to be given to staff. 

I think in the shops after the initial rush and hoarding lots of emphasis will be on homeshopping  .... although we have seen massive growth in some areas of the shop ... the phenomenal growth is in that part of the shop on top of the growth thats already happening ..... traditionally the start to the year is quieter and we have just had massive wage chops on top of the growth making it bloody hard at the moment all virus impacted 

2 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

I know a lad doing 3 for £120 but he’s throwing in a pair of marigolds as well, any other deals?

Just because it’s you I’ll throw in a box of facemasks. They might already be used though so you’ll have to take the risk.