Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

8 minutes ago, Deneva48 said:

People just have to accept it that all events with large crowds look like there going to be stopped, that includes festivals, sporting events, etc. It needs to be done ASAP. Just accept it.

You’re absolutely right and unsurprisingly the downvoters are already out in force. People here live for their five days a year on a farm - they’re also apparently quite willing to die for it too. And apparently sod anybody else.

• Downvote 11

Just now, Dusk1983 said:

You’re absolutely right and unsurprisingly the downvoters are already out in force. People here live for their five days a year on a farm - they’re also apparently quite willing to die for it too. And apparently sod anybody else.

You’re lucky I’m out of downvotes for the day. 

Just now, Dusk1983 said:

My word you're a gobshite

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dusk1983 said:

They are not absolutely right.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Unfortunately you're relying on the govt that shuns experts to follow expert advice, and a (brexit voting) population to happily go along with that.

Personally I think the govt is likely to follow the sort of political pressure that comes along with what matey above said, cos they'll be blaming the govt for killing people and the govt will feel the need to be seen to be doing something - and whether it's effective or not probably won't count for much.

This was kind of my point earlier, I don’t trust the government to make the correct call. They’ll make the call that gives off the best possible perception, so they can claim to be doing something.

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

we seem to be growing the page numbers on this thread to a similar level to virus cases ..... any guesses how many we might get to ? 

I could see this thread going until the day of the festival, unless we see every other event go forward or Glasto is cancelled, but hoping not!

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

we seem to be growing the page numbers on this thread to a similar level to virus cases ..... any guesses how many we might get to ? 

before what happens... 😛

1 minute ago, TownesMR said:

I could see this thread going until the day of the festival, unless we see every other event go forward or Glasto is cancelled, but hoping not!

I cant see any decision being that last minute .... to many things will be impacted .... but im sure the thread will grow and grow as it gets closer to reality unfortunately for some .....  my guess is somewhere approaching 1000 ...unless we take a different approach to it ..... The other threads on here will become far more important the closer we get 

18 minutes ago, Dusk1983 said:

You’ve got more chance drowning in a long drop than catching and dieing from Coronavirus

First UK death announced. 

The Royal Berkshire NHS Trust said in a statement

Sadly, we can confirm that an older patient with underlying health conditions has died. The patient has previously been in and out of hospital for non-coronavirus reasons, but on this occasion was admitted and last night tested positive for coronavirus.

The family has been informed and our thoughts are with them at this difficult time.

We will not be commenting further and ask that everybody respects the family’s privacy.”

from a music biz newsletter I get....

Brexit. And now coronavirus. Who on earth would want to be a booking agent or tour manager right now? Nobody yet knows just how complex it will be for all UK musicians to perform in Europe after 31 December. But many expect those long-forgotten carnets will need to be filled in and approved before flights and travel are even booked, taking us back to the bad old days of the ‘70s, which veteran old-timers can remember, and will often tell you just what a pain in the arse all that paperwork really was. On top of that, as the flu-like epidemic situation remains fluid, it must be a total nightmare trying to plan for the upcoming European festival season, and trying to anticipate what happens next. With margins traditionally wafer-thin anyway, the worry is that huge events and companies might go to the wall this summer. Add to that the current news that several countries are telling residents not to travel abroad, northern Italy is pretty much a no-go area, France has banned all indoor gatherings of people that number 5000+ with outdoor events being looked at on a case by case basis, and the Swiss government has cancelled all events over 1000 capacity. That move alone prompted Sam Fender to tweet on Saturday that his gig in Zurich the following evening was postponed until 7 September. But again, nobody can predict with any certainty that things will be back to normal by then. It’s going to be a rather testing year all round for almost every aspect of our business. We know of at least one major who has all-but banned international work trips from their London HQ for the time being. And in a side note, we’ve seen a statement from Sky telling all of its Osterley-based staff to stay at home next Thursday (12 March), cancel all face-to-face office meetings that were due to take place, and instead do their jobs away from their normal base, in part as a way of testing out their systems and working practices, should the coronavirus become as widespread as feared. For now, Glastonbury, The Great Escape et al are all still on. Let’s all pray that remains the case by the end of the month.