Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

23 minutes ago, Dusk1983 said:

Some appalling stuff here. It seems that too many would happily put at risk the lives of the entire country if it means they get their few days of partying.

You should be WORRIED if it goes ahead, because at least in terms of how it looks now, this means profit will ultimately have been put above safety.

Nevertheless, it’s very unlikely to go ahead. I imagine the festival’s many strands of insurance are already at risk. It doesn’t matter if the virus is clear by June, by then it will have long been declared as uninsurable.

I'm not quite sure if it will have any affect on insurance. Glastonbury's public liability would remain unchanged, for anyone to bring a claim against Glastonbury themselves they would have to prove that they had been negligent - assuming all the risks have been assessed fully, I seriously doubt any claim could be brought against them for someone catching the corona virus. Otherwise you would have liability claims all over the place with people catching colds etc so in other words insurance wouldn't be a problem!

Almost all the cases in Europe can be traced back to Italy so what we need to start seeing is the number of daily new cases in Italy starting to drop. At the moment their numbers are still rising although at a smaller amount each day so at some point in the next 2 to 3 weeks their numbers will peak and then start to drop and when that happens we should see a knock on effect across Europe. Hopefully! 

14 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Yes. From the Chief Medical Officer I would consider that very good news.

Unfortunately you're relying on the govt that shuns experts to follow expert advice, and a (brexit voting) population to happily go along with that.

Personally I think the govt is likely to follow the sort of political pressure that comes along with what matey above said, cos they'll be blaming the govt for killing people and the govt will feel the need to be seen to be doing something - and whether it's effective or not probably won't count for much.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Unfortunately you're relying on the govt that shuns experts to follow expert advice, and a (brexit voting) population to happily go along with that.

Personally I think the govt is likely to follow the sort of political pressure that comes along with what matey above said, cos they'll be blaming the govt for killing people and the govt will feel the need to be seen to be doing something - and whether it's effective or not probably won't count for much.

I'm hopeful that because he seems to be working very closely to the government, they will listen to him. 

2 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

I'm hopeful that because he seems to be working very closely to the government, they will listen to him. 

Until he says something they don’t agree with and then some old university story will pop up to discredit his character. 

Festival Republic have just put this up on their website...

At this time, all shows and events are going ahead as planned.

Please be assured that the safety and health of all staff and visitors is our main priority and we are implementing recommendations and instructions appropriately.

We are closely monitoring official guidance from the World Health Organisation, Public Health England, UK Government, local public health authorities and are working with event promoters and organisers as information evolves.

Glastonbury has been going for some time, and they’re pretty good at putting on a festival. I’m sure they’ve got adequate insurance in place. As for public liability, thats got nothing to do with anything. As previously mentioned they’ve been doing this for some time, there will be disclaimers aplenty in the ts and cs about attending entirely at your own risk.

5 minutes ago, HattersBoy said:

Total cases in the UK jumped by 25 to 115. I'm more concerned that we haven't had any recoveries reported and also the death of someone who had supposedly recovered but died 5 days after returning home. 

We have? We've had 8 recoveries out of the original cases pre-Italy explosion.

There haven't been many recoveries in Europe since the second wave so absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

Your post also makes it look like that death was in the UK. There have been 0 deaths in the UK so far.

I have faith Glastonbury will make a pretty good case to still take place. Statements from other festival confirming they are still planned to go ahead definitely help the overall hope I have for Glasto happening. I REALLY hope the UK government follows the belief that cancelling events does nothing, which so far it does seem like they are sticking to the "wash your hands" advice, which honestly, is the most effective thing that can realistically be done.

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

We have? We've had 8 recoveries out of the original cases pre-Italy explosion.

There haven't been many recoveries in Europe since the second wave so absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

Your post also makes it look like that death was in the UK. There have been 0 deaths in the UK so far.

Oops missed that we had recoveries and yes the death was in China. 

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Festival Republic have just put this up on their website...

That's absolutely fine, and what they should be saying at the moment.

"We're monitoring the situation, but for now it's business as usual"

No problem with that.

Edited by Hugh Jass

This is a great article talking about the current death rate and why the figures we have are likely to be vastly overestimated. 

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/5/21165973/coronavirus-death-rate-explained

I also like the final quote which should help calm a lot of people’s fears. 

Here is what we know for sure: While nearly 3,000 people have died in this outbreak so far, seasonal flu kills between 250,000 and 650,000 people annually. For most people, “you’re probably more likely to be catching flu than you are to be getting coronavirus,” said Devi Sridhar, chair in global public health at the University of Edinburgh.”

1 minute ago, Deneva48 said:

People just have to accept it that all events with large crowds look like there going to be stopped, that includes festivals, sporting events, etc. It needs to be done ASAP. Just accept it.

That's pretty much the exact opposite of what we've heard from festivals, the government, and medical professionals.