Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

Olympics and Paralympics

Tokyo 2020 officials are sounding defiant but options are being discussed. The events start on 24 July and 25 August respectively; IOC member Dick Pound says a final decision could be made as late as the end of May, with cancellation, rather than postponement or relocation, the most likely outcome. The athletics world indoor championships, scheduled to take place in China next month, are already off.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/05/coronavirus-live-updates-italy-germany-pandemic-europe-uk-us-australia-india-update-latest-news

Hopefully Dick Pound won't be making the Glastonbury decision 

2 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello squirrelarmy,

I think that you, Hugh Jass, and myself need a name for our newly created gang. In addition it may also be necessary for us to wear a bandana, so that other gangs know not to fuck with us. Obviously we'd need a bandana each, as just sharing the one bandana between the three of us would not only be geographically challenging, but would show rival gangs that we aint up to it. 

S. T. A. R. S? 

13 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Dunno if it’s already been discussed but the new Bond film has been put back to November due to the virus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51744374

I’m calling bollocks on this. Screams to me that they think it’s shit and have a convenient excuse to spend a few extra months working on it.

At 2hrs 43mins, it could certainly do with another edit!

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Olympics and Paralympics

Tokyo 2020 officials are sounding defiant but options are being discussed. The events start on 24 July and 25 August respectively; IOC member Dick Pound says a final decision could be made as late as the end of May, with cancellation, rather than postponement or relocation, the most likely outcome. The athletics world indoor championships, scheduled to take place in China next month, are already off.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/05/coronavirus-live-updates-italy-germany-pandemic-europe-uk-us-australia-india-update-latest-news

Hopefully Dick Pound won't be making the Glastonbury decision 

I can't be the only one who sniggered a little at the name "Dick Pound"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

this sounds like my dream life

when the weathers nice it can be but this week I have had a pitch fork stuck in my foot and tripped up in chicken poo !!!  We can't get cover as we have some that aren't the most friendly and ours is last chance saloon 😞 so we take on ones that are difficult to re-home ..oh and no new clothes or nice things as every spare money goes on feeding and vets ...our insurance for the dogs comes in at a whopping £400 per month 

Plus no holidays for 15 years ..hence GF  has always been such a good place to unwind but only lucky enough to get tickets twice...once being this year so sods law this happens 

I suppose positivity and sensibility will get us through this for whatever reasons GF is important to us all 

2 hours ago, Charm said:

Sorry to hear that mate, hope you haven’t lost too much money.  I’d feel the same about rebooking, so hard to know what’s the right move. I’ve a July holiday booked and paid for, kinda wish I didn’t right now. 
Charm x

Thanks! Flights were pretty cheap so not the end of the world. It was just a long weekend in the Netherlands. But yeah I'm not super keen to rebook...

Hopefully by July things will have improved one way or another. Glad you're feeling better anyway :)

37 minutes ago, alfc7 said:

In their study of genes in 103 samples of the coronavirus, which is named SARS-CoV-2 and causes a disease called COVID-19, they revealed they had discovered two distinct versions of it, which they named L and S.

They claimed that around 70 per cent of patients have caught the L strain, which is more aggressive and faster-spreading than S.

But L has become less common as the outbreak has gone on, with it apparently struggling to spread since early January, while S has become more common.

S is less aggressive but is thought to be the first strain of the virus which made the jump into humans and is continuing to infect new patients.

It's an interesting observation, but unfortunately, 100 genomes doesn't tell us a whole lot and the epidemiological jumps they have made in that paper are not the soundest statistically. Their data doesn't prove that one form is more "aggressive" than the other as they didn't really test that (ie, compare them side by side)...they just hypothesised that the S strain was the founder as it more closely resembles the bat virus it evolved from and, based on a limited number of samples, have concluded that it is now overtaking the other strain in terms of infection. There was a lot of conjecture in the paper (hence it wasn't published in the New England Journal of Medicine or anywhere close)...who knows though, as I commented about 30 pages back, it's a new virus, we have no idea about lots of aspects of its behaviour, so it may turn out to be true (as I said, it's an interesting observation...what it means is still unclear)...I wouldn't be pinning my hopes of Glasto occurring on what strain of virus is circulating in Europe though! 

A possible reason for the slow recovery rate in Japan (and maybe South Korea too) is that they only release a patient when they have a streak of negative tests. One negative test doesn't seem enough for them to declare someone as recovered.

A good idea and provides an explanation why their recoveries have been much slower than Italy and Iran.

5 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Looks like the winter Tomorrowland has been cancelled ‘by the French Goverment’ certainly won’t be down the the Eavis fam if Glasto goes ahead.

my feeling at the moment is it’s still far enough away

This makes sense as it's basically next week.