Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

4 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

This is what the tissue section of Woolos was like in Coburg on Wednesday. The monsters are even using tissues for bog roll now - when will the madness end?!

Nissues.jpg

We ran out of Woolworths, let alone tissues.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Dunno if it’s already been discussed but the new Bond film has been put back to November due to the virus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51744374

I’m calling bollocks on this. Screams to me that they think it’s shit and have a convenient excuse to spend a few extra months working on it.

Think they're more concerned about cinema footfall affecting profits than anything else

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Think that's all about maximising opening weekend. They've figured whether we're actively quarantined or not, the turnout will be lower due to the panic. 

Indeed. Apparently mulan is going to absolutely tank in China because nobody can really go out and see it. 

Combined with falling revenues in the parks and other films that have done less well than expected, it could be a very rough time for Disney.

Luckily they have a few quid so they should be fine.

At the moment I have quite a few areas of concern regarding it going ahead. Not so much it being an infection risk - at this point it seems quite likely that there will be increased infection rates which will effect a large amount of people, glasto or no glasto, but more so the impact it will have on touring artists (and their decision/ability to travel) and more importantly, the necessary infrastructure that needs to be in place for the festival to operate at all, regardless of external factors  like this.

Then theres the worry of people coming down with the virus while at Glastonbury. With the incubation period being quite protracted, the chance of people attending who previously thought they were fine but then becoming incredibly symptomatic in the festival is a risk to big to ignore.

Provisions can be made to mitigate infection, of course but the festival would not be equipped to deal with a large outbreak and considering the elevated hospitalisation rate of the virus (and the local health provisions), I'd be lying to say that I'm optimistic at this point in time.

On the other hand, this is reminiscent of swine flu, which didn't stop festivals and we are in the phase where containment is failing so of course hysteria is going to be high.

Absolute worst case is that it gets cancelled but even then, Glastonbury is robust enough to survive to party another day and the main thing above all else, is that we also survive to party too

29 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If it was cancelled AND you didn’t get the automatic chance to buy again for 2021 then they would be an absolute double whammy making it twice as bad

I don't care what people say, it would be absolutely shit if they completely disregarded that thousands of people had put months of preparation and money into attending this year, even though cancellation is out of their control. I hope in the chance it's cancelled, at minimum ticket holders get first dibs on the next tickets.

15 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Think they're more concerned about cinema footfall affecting profits than anything else

Yeah. Its cited that China's box office has fallen through the floor, and I think Italy closing cinemas isn't going to help. I did see a James Bond fan club requesting its cancellation earlier this week due to cinemas potentially being a vulnerable spot to spread it, and also suggesting having the Royal Albert Hall for its premiere was a bad idea due to France's ban on it.

I'm aware some people will say they opted to delay it due to the film being shit and needing tweaks. But it might be the case that with a $250M budget spent on making the thing that they'll want a huge audience for it and won't get it just by shoving it straight on Netflix/Amazon Prime/ITV2.

Not a chance of containment working if 80% of symptoms from that reddit expert ama are correct... mild with a slight temp and runny nose and cough for a couple of days... Nobody is going to the hospital with that are they 

When do they start setting up the site? They will make the decision to cancel before then I would say. If they are even thinking about cancelling surely they will make the decision before the set up starts.

that is assuming the decision isn’t taken out of their hands

Edited by Smeble

8 minutes ago, DeadAmos said:

Thank you ZMG 😀

Last year was the earliest its ever been by about a week. Its normally around the last week of March - First week of April but last year it was mid March, so personally anywhere from week 2 March to week 1 of April. 

57 minutes ago, Smeble said:

When do they start setting up the site? They will make the decision to cancel before then I would say. If they are even thinking about cancelling surely they will make the decision before the set up starts.

that is assuming the decision isn’t taken out of their hands

I don't think they'll mind starting the build, but there will be a tipping point in their costs. Most of the heavy lifting seems to be done in the final weeks so I wouldn't be too worried on that front. Still building on the Friday of the fest!