Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

If it IS cancelled, think I'll be buying Mad Cool tickets right away. Feel like there's much less chance European festivals like that are cancelled, helped by the lack of camping for one.

The festival in Spain is less likely to be cancelled??

1 minute ago, TownesMR said:

Spain for now at least it's not considering cancelling mass events as a solution. Of course this can change anytime. Also as it was said, the fact of not having camping is another thing to consider. 

3 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Yeah I'd say so. Glastonbury has a number of unique challenges when it comes to a public health risk. Mad Cool is much smaller with no camping for a start.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Yeah I'd say so. Glastonbury has a number of unique challenges when it comes to a public health risk. Mad Cool is much smaller with no camping for a start.

Honestly, I firmly disagree with this. If Glastonbury is cancelled, then so would every other big festival. Picking and choosing would be unfair and do absolutely nothing to prevent the spread of Coronavirus, if that's the goal.

I also would like to add that cancelling events would also do pretty much nothing to stop the spread of Coronavirus, unless entire cities were shut down. If Glastonbury is one of the few or only events being cancelled, that's just ridiculous. It will do absolutely nothing.

The best the festival should do is increase hand washing stations, provide information, and issue a warning for at risk groups.

3 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Honestly, I firmly disagree with this. If Glastonbury is cancelled, then so would every other big festival. Picking and choosing would be unfair and do absolutely nothing to prevent the spread of Coronavirus, if that's the goal.

Every event doesn’t have the same set of circumstances though. All festivals may well be cancelled, but different countries will handle things differently and, again, festivals with camping will be a bigger risk than those without. 

If Glastonbury is cancelled it won’t automatically mean every other is. And if the report of Glastonbury having to make a decision in three weeks is true, other events may have different timescales for making decisions, and I do think the later festivals decide the more likely they are to go ahead.

Now obviously this thread is of great importance but now people are starting to let it affect the build up to the festival ..... so should we let it drop down a little or just remain a hot topic that is causing more angst than getting us a definitive answer ?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

I also would like to add that cancelling events would also do pretty much nothing to stop the spread of Coronavirus, unless entire cities were shut down. If Glastonbury is one of the few or only events being cancelled, that's just ridiculous. It will do absolutely nothing.

The best the festival should do is increase hand washing stations, provide information, and issue a warning for at risk groups.

To be clear, I personally agree with this completely. Whether or not we’re right is a different matter.

Regarding Festivals in the states. There are 3 happening this weekend of note. Okeecheebee in Florida, Crssd in San Diego and M3F in Arizona. All are going forward. South by Southwest is getting a lot of pressure to cancel as big sponsors have dropped out, but no decision yet. Ultra in Miami which is at the end of March is in limbo now despite a statement from their mayor yesterday. The city of Miami had a meeting today to discuss what will happen to the event. An announcement is scheduled for this Friday. 

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Can we have more detail on this please!?

All I can really say is the impression I got is that eventually it will spread, but for most part it will be like any other flu or illness so not really worth worrying too much about!

Of course no one knows for certain but that’s what I took from a brief chat with him

25 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

My public health colleagues explained today that the move to close down events like Glastonbury would be to slow the spread of the disease, of course you wouldn’t shut down towns and cities, but events where lots of people gather just exacerbate the spread of the disease so there is a good reason to stop them.
Obviously not the answer I wanted, but I can kind of see the logic.  I’m just hoping it’s peaked well before June.. 

I genuinely think that there are some people in here that actually want the festival to be cancelled so they can feel good about themselves for being right on the internet.

I get the feeling IF the worst happens it will be because of logistical problems previously mentioned rather than any particular health implications. By June it’s likely it will either be dwindling or containment measures won’t even matter. 

Although saying that, everything is pure speculation until any SIGNIFICANT developments happen. 

I can confirm I am not one of those people. I want Glastonbury to happen this year more than anything. Years of looking forward to it and months of planning since I got tickets. To say I would be upset would be an understatement. I know it sounds corny, but it's been one of my life dreams. Knowing that if it doesn't happen this year, it'll never happen, is the worst feeling for me.

42 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

But there’s so much more that could affect whether Glastonbury (and any other festival) goes ahead, not just whether it would stop the spread of the virus - I agree with you that it would achieve very little on that front.

As I posted a little while ago, major problems include whether it’s possible to set the festival up if tonnes of people are off work ill and supply chains are disrupted, and whether it’s worth putting a festival on if international travel is stopped or bands decide to cancel tours as a precaution. There’s nothing the festival can do about either of those things.

If it was cancelled I’d be absolutely gutted, that goes without saying. I’m looking forward to this year more than any as it’s a good group of us and a couple of my mates who have never been are going.0

If it was cancelled AND you didn’t get the automatic chance to buy again for 2021 then they would be an absolute double whammy making it twice as bad.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

I can confirm I am not one of those people. I want Glastonbury to happen this year more than anything. Years of looking forward to it and months of planning since I got tickets. To say I would be upset would be an understatement. I know it sounds corny, but it's been one of my life dreams. Knowing that if it doesn't happen this year, it'll never happen, is the worst feeling for me.

Why do you say it's this year or never? I know getting tickets is hard, but you can get them more than once. Many more times than once I daresay.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Dunno if it’s already been discussed but the new Bond film has been put back to November due to the virus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51744374

I’m calling bollocks on this. Screams to me that they think it’s shit and have a convenient excuse to spend a few extra months working on it.

We might have touched on this... 😂

8 hours ago, kalifire said:

In the Woolworths closest to me, in Melbourne, the latest batshittery is panic buying toilet paper. Not long life food products or tinned goods, no - just toilet paper. Here are the shelves, usually brimming with the stuff:

This is what the tissue section of Woolos was like in Coburg on Wednesday. The monsters are even using tissues for bog roll now - when will the madness end?!

Nissues.jpg

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Dunno if it’s already been discussed but the new Bond film has been put back to November due to the virus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51744374

I’m calling bollocks on this. Screams to me that they think it’s shit and have a convenient excuse to spend a few extra months working on it.

Think that's all about maximising opening weekend. They've figured whether we're actively quarantined or not, the turnout will be lower due to the panic.