Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

4 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

😞

Sorry to hear this Alex. I think a lot of people feel like that about it. One of my crew in particular said she really needs Glastonbury this year, as a break from all the shit. It's particular unfortunate if you've never got tickets before. But we don't know what will happen yet!

And as @Supernintendo Chalmers says, a Plan B could be amazing too 

Thank you both :)

Hopefully will all end up having fun in the farm. 

I can’t say too much but my Dad is slightly itk on the procedures in place, and seemed to be of the opinion it’s being a bit overblown and isn’t that much worse than any other flu. Made me feel a little better about the whole thing.

Funnily enough I was really ill a couple of weeks back, had a cough, bad fever and shortness of breath etc. Wasn’t concerned at the time as I’d had no travel/contact with anyone who had travelled, but have now been joked at a few times that I was Southampton’s patient zero. It has made me wonder how many undetected cases there could be as well. For those not at risk it will (apparently) likely just be a flu for a week or maybe even just a cough, so it seems the best case for those people would be not to bother going to a hospital and just taking it on the chin and dealing with the illness for a week or so. 

Edited by thrillhouse188

8 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Probably no one will read this but If it gets cancelled it will be something very hard to digest and I would be in the shit. 

Going to Glasto it's a dream that I always saw far far away (I am not living in the UK). Since I got the tickets after years trying, I put Glastonbury as my light at the end of the tunnel as I am going through bad times. Every single day since I got them I was here, reading things, watching videos or thinking about it or planning whatever. Even I planned to quit my job one month before the festival to clear my mind and just enjoy there and restart after it. 

For some people maybe it's just a festival and that's all, but (and I think I am not the only one here) for others like me it's a therapy and a place to forget all the shit around. 

I hope it doesn't get cancelled. I couldn't handle such a bad luck... :(

I wouldn't consider it therapy for me, but I'm in a similar boat of putting so much into this, that if it's cancelled I'm going to be pretty upset for a long time. I don't think I'll feasibly ever get tickets again.

57 minutes ago, jparx said:

I don't see Glastonbury being cancelled until there's a decision on the Olympics and the Euros. Infinitely bigger and global/continental events. 

Reading now that they may let these events go ahead but without a crowd. Broadcast on TV only. These events could still go ahead even if Glastonbury doesn’t. 

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

I can’t say too much but my Dad is slightly itk on the procedures in place, and seemed to be of the opinion it’s being a bit overblown and isn’t that much worse than any other flu. Made me feel a little better about the whole thing.

Funnily enough I was really ill a couple of weeks back, had a cough, bad fever and shortness of breath etc. Wasn’t concerned at the time as I’d had no travel/contact with anyone who had travelled, but have now been joked at a few times that I was Southampton’s patient zero. It has made me wonder how many undetected cases there could be as well. For those not at risk it will (apparently) likely just be a flu for a week or maybe even just a cough, so it seems the best case for those people would be not to bother going to a hospital and just taking it on the chin and dealing with the illness for a week or so. 

More posts like this!

I've seen a few people post about being ill recently. I don't think for a second I had the virus, but I also had a REALLY nasty flu back in mid January. Worst I've ever had by some distance. Three day fever and took a good two weeks to get over (second week I stupidly spent back at work). 

23 minutes ago, Quark said:

She was posting in the food thread earlier.

Have I missed something there? You not gone down with something have you Charm?

Been pretty ill with a high temperature and a horrible cough for the last few days, feeling much better now though.

Charm x

1 minute ago, TownesMR said:

If Glasto is cancelled, surely every other festival will be too

This is a good point since the smaller events will likely take their lead from the big G. Atm, the August / Sept end of season festivals seem like a good bet to get away with it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t really know anything about it but isn’t that because the common cold constantly mutates so you cannot become immune/vaccinate against it? I’m sure someone can answer that properly though.

If they can’t find a vaccine that could be a good news/bad news scenario though. Bad for obvious reasons, but good in the sense that if there is no vaccine you can’t contain it and put life on hold forever.

Our lass is nurse and I think I remember her saying that, they get vaccinated against the flu which broke out that year, and they also try guess what the mutations will be for the next year and what diseases are on a upward trend and get vaccinated against them too in the same flu jab, so they are vaccinated for loads but some mutations they may not predict 

Note that the vaccination does not prevent you from contracting it - you will still experience symptoms and be off from work whatever, however your risk from a longer term illness or complications will be considerably reduced.

This is the way the current flu vaccination behaves.

Edited by Pinhead
Context.

I’ve Seen a few people mention the chance of of the festival being postponed, surely there’s 0% chance of that? The last 12 months of lineup planning would have to be torn up and they’d have to start from scratch. Right now I’m fairly confident it will go ahead, things could change very quickly though. 

My confidence will not waiver. 
I find it extremely difficult to believe they will allow for mass influxes of sports personnel at both the euros/olympics, flying in from all over the world just to have it occur behind closed doors.. especially when FIFA/UEFA is all about the money. Can’t really comment on where Athletics makes its money because I don’t really follow it, but can’t imagine much profit will be turned if it’s unattended.

12 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Can we have more detail on this please!?

23 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

The vaccine is in development and is currently being tested on animals, will be tested on humans next month. They are aiming for commercial distribution beginning of next year.

Doesn’t mean it will work/Be safe/virus won’t mutate/other sciences things. But fingers crossed.

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Been over 100 pages now since I went out... blimey. And I get the feeling its being taken in a different vibe now given I recall it was pretty relaxed in here at first.

Come June and the Burrow Hill is flowing innum, we'll be alright.

Hoping to god at this point that the festival goes through. Would feel like an absolute waste of the limited time I have off and a huge waste of money to do a trip without Glastonbury. Basically the only trip I've wanted to do for the past decade.

• Like 1

Just now, jparx said:

If it IS cancelled, think I'll be buying Mad Cool tickets right away. Feel like there's much less chance European festivals like that are cancelled, helped by the lack of camping for one.

See you there then. I will buy the tickets the same day it gets cancelled (if it's the case). 

1 minute ago, TownesMR said:

Hoping to god at this point that the festival goes through. Would feel like an absolute waste of the limited time I have off and a huge waste of money to do a trip without Glastonbury. Basically the only trip I've wanted to do for the past decade.

I reckon it'll be ok, but if not only thing I would say (biased) is that a trip to the SW UK, you'd have the opportunity to see so many wonderful and historic places and there's always some free parties going on to get that 'naughty corner' vibe ;)