Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Just out of interest has anyone seen people wearing face masks yet ? I’m sure they will become more common place and maybe more common in cities at the moment ... but I saw my first one today 

Seen quite a few in London, but it's not that uncommon to see Asian tourists wearing them anyway.

Just now, scaryclaireyfairy said:

No gel or even anti-bac liquid soap in my local Morrisons. I dug around and got bars of Dettol soap. No flour either. 

Handily, they had offers on tins of soup and Pot Noodles. :) 

yep same ... id forgotten about the flour issue when I posted earlier .... I pick homeshopping orders at Asda ..... todays issues also included bleach which was developing into a cleaning product issue .... everything has knock on effects but im sure soon people won't have the money and things will become available again 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Seen quite a few in London, but it's not that uncommon to see Asian tourists wearing them anyway.

yep of course I forget that being from a semi rural town ...and of course people will be wearing them because of traffic  pollution fears 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I understand that but who’s to say another big emergency won’t come up in November time. If people think the film is worth it, they’ll go and see it. People are still going to other social events, the world still spins. 

You seem to be in pretty heavy denial about the nature of the virus. The virus spreads exponentially, 30 cases today are a thousand after a week or two, are ten thousand a few weeks after that.

Like, if you keep multiplying two by two, eventually the number gets really big but it takes a while to get above 1000?

So imagine you let the virus keep transmitting untrammeled, 10k people are now falling ill every day at the peak of the pandemic, 20% of them have health complications, 1% just flat out die. That puts a very pressure on services, discourages people from feeling like going out. Puts a very big damper on social events even if they continue.

Why would anyone wanna go see a film even if they run? Why would anyone wanna increase the risk that they catch a virus that might kill their parents or infirm relatives? Remember the morality rate of Corona is much higher in the elderly than "the flu".

If something bad happens in November, they'll just push it back again, point is to turn a profit, much less risk in delaying a lil. Happens sometimes anyway.

Beyond which (speaking broadly now), large social gatherings require staff, medical services, security, ect, if there's a big strain on public services, festivals might be pressured to cancel because they can't provide a safe service, and even if lots of people have Corona by then, imagine someone develops complications at a festival and requires ventilators but local health resources and private health resources are already stretched thin.

Yes the issue of the tube is raised, but people keeping the country running even modestly is more essential than risking public events that cause infection spikes that test the durability of public services and even then, efforts will be taken to keep as many people from traveling anyway.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, mashedonmud said:

I'm working on a cure. My chemistry skills are not great. I'll try several different ratios of rum. Corona not allowed in here. Ever.😜

20191220_161234.jpg

You could make your own hand sanitiser with all that alcohol. 

I don't think what would actually happen at the festival, whether there is enough hand gel etc has that much bearing on whether Glastonbury would be cancelled, frankly. Either everywhere gets on top of it within the next couple of weeks (seems unlikely to me at the moment), in which case everything is fine. Or, it gets so widespread by the time of the festival that it can't be mitigated and hand gel isn't going to stop you getting it, nor is avoiding the festival - you'll get it from a family member who went to the shops. The issues are more, in my opinion:

1) Government ordering cancellation (along with pretty much all other events) so they can seem to be 'doing something', regardless of whether that would actually achieve anything (see above);

2) The massive logistical operation to set the festival up being impossible due to too many suppliers/contractors having staff off ill, problems getting goods from Asia, etc;

3) International travel being shut down, or bands cancelling whole tours as a precaution, meaning there isn't actually a festival worth putting on.

All three of those things have to be avoided, and to be honest I'm not optimistic. I voted the middle option in the poll the other day but I'd go with likely cancellation if I could do it again now.

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

yep of course I forget that being from a semi rural town ...and of course people will be wearing them because of traffic  pollution fears 

Yeah I assume that's the usual reason.

With the Bond thing, isn't it also to do with the associated publicity? I.e. the cast travelling around the world for various premieres, interviews etc etc.

3 minutes ago, Queen_of_rabbits said:

You seem to be in pretty heavy denial about the nature of the virus. The virus spreads exponentially, 30 cases today are a thousand after a week or two, are ten thousand a few weeks after that.

Like, if you keep multiplying two by two, eventually the number gets really big but it takes a while to get above 1000?

So imagine you let the virus keep transmitting untrammeled, 10k people are now falling ill every day at the peak of the pandemic, 20% of them have health complications, 1% just flat out die. That puts a very pressure on services, discourages people from feeling like going out. Puts a very big damper on social events even if they continue.

Why would anyone wanna go see a film even if they run? Why would anyone wanna increase the risk that they catch a virus that might kill their parents or infirm relatives? Remember the morality rate of Corona is much higher in the elderly than "the flu".

If something bad happens in November, they'll just push it back again, point is to turn a profit, much less risk in delaying a lil. Happens sometimes anyway.

Beyond which (speaking broadly now), large social gatherings require staff, medical services, security, ect, if there's a big strain on public services, festivals might be pressured to cancel because they can't provide a safe service, and even if lots of people have Corona by then, imagine someone develops complications at a festival and requires ventilators but local health resources and private health resources are already stretched thin.

Yes the issue of the tube is raised, but people keeping the country running even modestly is more essential than risking public events that cause infection spikes that test the durability of public services and even then, efforts will be taken to keep as many people from traveling anyway.

I’m not in denial about the virus, I understand how virus’s spread, I get the possible severity I just think the talk of cancelling events that are months away is hyperbolic. I don’t mean to sound dismissive.

People will still continue to go to events I believe, they aren’t going to stay inside until this dies down. Come on to say otherwise is just silly, take this place as an example it seems mostly everyone would still go to a music festival if it’s on so I dare say heading to a cinema wouldn’t be too much of an issue either. That is unless are beloved government decide to step in.

13 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

2) The massive logistical operation to set the festival up being impossible due to too many suppliers/contractors having staff off ill, problems getting goods from Asia, etc;

That's a very good point. I know many of the onsite generators have to be sourced from throughout Europe and I'm sure there is other core infrastructure that would be reliant on getting kit from outside the country. The more I think about it, I cannot see how on Earth it will go ahead. Things will need to be all cleared up by end of next month (not just here but at least the rest of Europe) I'd of thought and that just doesn't look realistic.

Edited by Splatt

Local news just had a report about whether it should be cancelled, a doctor whose name I missed said it should be cancelled but ex leader of mendip council said it’s too early to say if it should be. 

a lack of hot water was cited as an issue. I wonder if anything can be done about that. Hand sanitiser is no good.

21 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

You could make your own hand sanitiser with all that alcohol. 

The 151 overproof rum will do it on it's own. 😂

Just so ya know this is not normal. Myself and wayward brother in law where practising/experimenting making Zombie Cocktails. 😉

43 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I understand that but who’s to say another big emergency won’t come up in November time. If people think the film is worth it, they’ll go and see it. People are still going to other social events, the world still spins. 

I suppose it is quite likely that another pandemic that happens every 100 years will come round in November. It's just statistics innit?

2 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

The issues are more, in my opinion:

1) Government ordering cancellation (along with pretty much all other events) so they can seem to be 'doing something', regardless of whether that would actually achieve anything (see above);

3) International travel being shut down, or bands cancelling whole tours as a precaution, meaning there isn't actually a festival worth putting on.

All three of those things have to be avoided, and to be honest I'm not optimistic. I voted the middle option in the poll the other day but I'd go with likely cancellation if I could do it again now.

The government will cancel events when it is advised the risk of letting the event go ahead is to onerous, not for political reasons. As for Glasto there will be a point where the risk of someone with Corona attends the festival and passes it on to others becomes too significant to bear. Then there is the impact Corona may have on the services required to manage the festival. These extent beyond the contractors servicing it and into the public domain. Put simply a there may not be enough police, medics etc available for the festival to be run.

As for band, acts etc pulling out, that is a distinct possibilty based on what is happening elsewhere.

What happens in March is the crucial time for me as it will shape government response. I expect GFL will want clarity before ticket balance payments are due.

1 minute ago, Smeble said:

I think balance week will be telling, I think that’s the deadline they will have set them self to make a decision. 

would they consider pushing back the festival to later in the summer?

Not sure how that would effect the license etc. If locals plan around having at one time of year, pushing it back might not an option. Also how would that affect the booked acts?