Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

18 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If Glastonbury is cancelled, then you would assume every other festival will be too? Or at least every other camping festival? And if not then I guess they’d put some arbitrary attendance figure on what gets cancelled and what doesn’t?

But let’s say they set that at 100k, Glastonbury gets cancelled but loads of others don’t, but then cumulatively all the ones that don’t get cancelled would have a much higher attendance figure than Glastonbury so collectively will still create a bigger issue than Glastonbury on its own, so basically that would be pointless as well.

So realistically it has to be all or none, but what would happen then? Surely you’d get (illegal?) mass gatherings set up all over the place anyway?

it'll be something like "all gatherings of more than X amount of people". 

I reckon it'll be over a few hundred - they're not going to be fucking up people's weddings - but beyond that it's just about impossible to know what they might set the number at.

7 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

For those who are saying "this is just a bloody cold" then try to imagine you're over 80 or that someone you love is over 80. The confirmed case death rate for over 80s is 20%. That's not trivial, so please don't make light of this. There's no need to panic, but there's every need to care for the weak and elderly.

I agree with you, I don’t have any grandparents left but my parents are in their seventies so naturally I’m concerned for them.

That said, when you get into your 80s... most things are pretty dangerous and likely to kill you, bog standard old flu included. Like it or not it’s just a fact of life. 

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

China hasnt even gotten into the hundreds of thousands.... 

That's because they haven't released the control measures yet. They need to and then more will become infected. It's all about controlling aka delaying the impact of a large number of people being ill. It will be almost impossible to eradicate it from the country therefore the epidemic will continue across the country in a hopefully controlled manner. 

Someone in my office in London has been tested positive for this. I am working from home today but will be back in next week, but the offices have all been deep-cleaned etc. Quite unsettling now it is in my office, but still think that the precautions taken mean that the virus will be spread as little as possible!

1 minute ago, Splatt said:

That's because they haven't released the control measures yet. They need to and then more will become infected. It's all about controlling aka delaying the impact of a large number of people being ill. It will be almost impossible to eradicate it from the country therefore the epidemic will continue across the country in a hopefully controlled manner. 

giphy.webp

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I reckon it'll be over a few hundred - they're not going to be fucking up people's weddings - but beyond that it's just about impossible to know what they might set the number at.

Yeah that was my thinking, if G goes then everything has to, otherwise what’s the point, if you allow much smaller events to go ahead when you tot them all up they still present the same opportunity to spread the virus as one big event.

I’m just struggling to get my head round the knock on effect of cancelling every music festival. Surely free enterprise kicks in resulting in loads of black market events?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

16 minutes ago, Havors said:

China hasnt even gotten into the hundreds of thousands.... 

Because China has literally locked down a whole region of its country, forced cities to close their borders with no one allowed to travel in and out. If European countries don't follow a similar tactic then the cases throughout Europe could easily spiral to hundreds of thousands.

They also have a compulsory phone app in china where you can see where the nearest person diagnosed with the virus is compared to where you are(exact distance), and you are screened to see if you have the virus upon entering shopping centres etc and if you are entering or leaving the country. 

Edited by FestivalJamie

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

5,000 was the french figure presumingly picked out the air but could see something similar for us.

so all sporting event,  concerts etc but not weddings and other smaller gatherings.

4 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Because China has literally locked down a whole region of its country, forced cities to close their borders with no one allowed to travel in and out. If European countries don't follow a similar tactic then the cases throughout Europe could easily spiral to hundreds of thousands.

If you're not a medical professional or related, I suggest you take a read of this and follow suit - https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/04/liverpool-manager-jurgen-klopp-washes-hands-coronavirus-questions-superb-rant-12345493/

7 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

They also have a compulsory phone app in china where you can see where the nearest person diagnosed with the virus is compared to where you are(exact distance), and you are screened to see if you have the virus upon entering shopping centres etc and if you are entering or leaving the country. 

The app is known to share data with the police so I'm not sure that's a road we want to be going down. 

38 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

For those who are saying "this is just a bloody cold" then try to imagine you're over 80 or that someone you love is over 80. The confirmed case death rate for over 80s is 20%. That's not trivial, so please don't make light of this. There's no need to panic, but there's every need to care for the weak and elderly.

Or someone that has had major chest surgery. Asthma, high blood pressure, shadows on their lungs and a low immune system. If I were to catch it I have a very high chance of not surviving despite being in my 20s. This is a real thing

6 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Or someone that has had major chest surgery. Asthma, high blood pressure, shadows on their lungs and a low immune system. If I were to catch it I have a very high chance of not surviving despite being in my 20s. This is a real thing

All the more reason why the young and low risk should avoid going to the hospital unless absolutely necessary to make sure they aren’t over capacity in case high risk patients like yourself need treatment. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

38 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Someone in my office in London has been tested positive for this.

It was sort of inevitable that the initial blooms would be London/SE and Manchester/NW.  The data that is going to come out of this event is going to be so valuable for our learning and confirming/denying theories that exist in epidemiology at present.  From a coldly interested viewpoint the whole thing is fascinating to observe.

Just now, Spindles said:

It was sort of inevitable that the initial blooms would be London/SE and Manchester/NW.  The data that is going to come out of this event is going to be so valuable for our learning and confirming/denying theories that exist in epidemiology at present.  From a coldly interested viewpoint the whole thing is fascinating to observe.

Yeah of course. I am firmly of the belief that I am much more likely to get it (if at all) on the commute on the tube rather than my office, but it is very close to home!

Just in the pharmacy picking up my prescription and a woman has just come in asking for hand sanitiser. We’ll call her Karen to help you picture her. 

The pharmacy don’t have any in and the fuss she was kicking up was unbelievable. 

Had a joke with the girl behind the counter after and she agreed with me that everything is being blown out of proportion and most hand gels won’t even do anything to help anyway. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Just in the pharmacy picking up my prescription and a woman has just come in asking for hand sanitiser. We’ll call her Karen to help you picture her. 

The pharmacy don’t have any in and the fuss she was kicking up was unbelievable. 

Had a joke with the girl behind the counter after and she agreed with me that everything is being blown out of proportion and most hand gels won’t even do anything to help anyway. 

I used to work with a Karen and this is exactly the type of thing she'd do😂

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

Our work have banned international travel for work, and have asked that people don’t travel between offices. 
we’ve all been told that we need to take our laptops home every night. 

Fellow Deloitte worker it would seem!