Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

39 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

t looks like the virus has mutated into two forms. The more deadly version is on the decrease and is harder to transmit however a new strain is the one that is spreading rapidly. This version isn’t as harmful as the previous version but you’re far more likely to catch it. 

This is how viruses work....the last thing they want to do is be so deadly and virulent that they end up running out of hosts and destroying themselves. 

16 minutes ago, Jack The Stripper said:

jump of 34 new cases in the UK alone today doesn’t sound promising.

It's not that bad and it's obvious it was going to escalate a bit. It will follow soon France, Germany or Spain. The key of all of this is having a proportional escalation and not an explosion like Italy. This month is very important as it will be the peak.

BBC news ticker:

14:39

'A global pandemic' - German health minister

"The coronavirus outbreak in China has become a global pandemic," says German Health Minister Jens Spahn.

Speaking to German lawmakers on Wednesday, he said: "The situation is changing very quickly... what's clear is that we have not yet reached the peak of the outbreak."

The World Health Organization (WHO) has not yet labelled the outbreak a pandemic - the description reserved for an infectious disease threatening lots of people all over the world simultaneously.

For more information, read our guide: Could coronavirus become pandemic?

Just now, AlexOvd said:

It's not that bad and it's obvious it was going to escalate a bit. It will follow soon France, Germany or Spain. The key of all of this is having a proportional escalation and not an explosion like Italy. This month is very important as it will be the peak.

Health officials expect the peak number of cases of the virus to be in May/June. This is just the build up at the moment

16 minutes ago, Jack The Stripper said:

jump of 34 new cases in the UK alone today doesn’t sound promising.

Not great but within expectations, looking at other countries it seems the number will likely increase by 25-75+% a day (more likely at the higher end for the next couple of days before hopefully staying hovering at the lower end). We will be in the region of low 1000's by this time next week. 

32 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

They're considering it.....not a done deal yet. 

Italy to ban public events to contain coronavirus - draft decree

Italy's government is set to close cinemas and theatres and ban public events across the whole country to try to contain the coronavirus outbreak, according to a draft decree drawn up on Wednesday.

The decree seen by Reuters orders "the suspension of events of any nature... that entail the concentration of people and do not allow for a safety distance of at least one metre to be respected."

The draft decree also tells Italians to avoid hugging and shaking hands to prevent as much as possible a further spread of the potentially deadly illness which has been mainly concentrated in the country's northern regions.

Just now, northernringo said:

This seems a very strange decision to me... Dare I say maybe even a publicity stunt?

Why cancel something scheduled for June at this point?

because they can't get cancellation insurance.

They'd be shelling out lots of costs to set it up, and (probably) be bankrupt if it couldn't then go ahead.

I guess any festival which has held back on paying out for insurance is now stuffed. :( 

Just now, 5co77ie said:

Italy's government is set to close cinemas and theatres and ban public events across the whole country to try to contain the coronavirus outbreak, according to a draft decree drawn up on Wednesday.

The decree seen by Reuters orders "the suspension of events of any nature... that entail the concentration of people and do not allow for a safety distance of at least one metre to be respected."

The draft decree also tells Italians to avoid hugging and shaking hands to prevent as much as possible a further spread of the potentially deadly illness which has been mainly concentrated in the country's northern regions.

This will be interesting to keep a track of for the rest of the world. 

1 minute ago, 5co77ie said:

is it a law to close them now, or a law to give them the power to close them at an appropriate time?

I am getting a bit tired of this events cancellation. Meanwhile people will still go to discos, cinemas, schools, churchs, metros...

So a person cannot go on June to Mountain Mayhem, but in the same morning take the metro in Berlin with thousands of people in a closed space at the same time, go to have lunch in a restaurant with another couple of people and for a drink in the night again with some peole in a closed space. It's just pathetic.

I don't really think cancelling this events will have ANY effect in stopping Coronavirus spreading.

Edited by AlexOvd

Just now, eFestivals said:

because they can't get cancellation insurance.

They'd be shelling out lots of costs to set it up, and (probably) be bankrupt if it couldn't then go ahead.

I guess any festival which has held back on paying out for insurance is now stuffed. :( 

Ah ok, that'll teach me to read to the end of the post...

I'll edit my comment re: publicity stunt

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

is it a law to close them now, or a law to give them the power to close them at an appropriate time?

According to Kaz's aunt who lives in Sicily it goes into place in the next few days - the no hugging she says will prove really difficult in a population where that's ingrained.

Edited by 5co77ie