Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

genuine question. Why are NHS 111 working on the basis that if you have not been to an affected area, and you are not sure if you have been in contact with someone linked to the virus, in theory you get put to the bottom of the pile of the priority line.

i don’t know whether the media is telling porkies but it doesn’t seem like much is being done to investigate cases of community spread?

Because everyone with a bit of a sniffle is currently phoning them up and they need some way of prioritising cases.

34 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

There’s one person in my local area with the virus. My boss lives in the same town as them and she was saying there’s a massive witch hunt in progress as they are desperate to find out who it is with the virus. 

Obviously they are staying quiet otherwise they risk being at the mercy of a full social media smear campaign albeit on a local level but the attitude of some of the local posters is extreme. They’re acting as if everyone is going to die if this person isn’t named.  

I really hate social media sometimes. 

Could that have something to do with people wondering if they have come in to contact with said person?

Can't imagine it's a witch hunt with sinister intentions.

The media are using a narrative which means people are scared and in turn will breed this sort of behaviour.

11 hours ago, Barney McGrew said:

Not to mention the medical resources available to the festival and potential demands of the surrounding areas, are the medics going to be available or are they going to be already allocated elsewhere, are they going to risk exposure of medics 'n plod if things are kicking off?

I've got a ticket and will be gutted if the festival is cancelled but unless things start to change significantly with regards to the potential number of cases and associated demands then I reckon this year's a goner.

If medics are already in demand could GFL even meets its requirements licence wise?

This is if it it becomes increasingly worse, I don't think all the NHS are currently being stretched because 51 people have the Virus, there have been no reports that it has been life threatening for any of them.

32 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Could that have something to do with people wondering if they have come in to contact with said person?

Can't imagine it's a witch hunt with sinister intentions.

The media are using a narrative which means people are scared and in turn will breed this sort of behaviour.

I'm sure when you learn about the Black Death in school they tell you that they used to mark all the doors of infected people with an X or something. Who needs that when you have social media.

I was wondering how the other guys in my tenement block would feel if I got it! Even if I was self-quarantining.

Edited by Sasperella

Just now, So Sad Simon said:

No, but they probably are being stretched by the 3,500 people who have been tested for the virus - with undoubtedly many thousands more still to come.

About 15,000 had been tested up till yesterday. That’s 14,950 people who have got a bit of a sniffle and think they’re dying. 

The amount of overreaction going on is huge. I’m starting to agree with China and their media blackout. 

10 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

About 15,000 had been tested up till yesterday. That’s 14,950 people who have got a bit of a sniffle and think they’re dying. 

The amount of overreaction going on is huge. I’m starting to agree with China and their media blackout. 

Lothian health board have a drive through testing station , bit like McDonald’s except instead of placing an order you open your mouth, a nurse swabs your gob and you drive off and they phone your results.  Don’t think you get a free toy with every bogey you leave. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

Lothian health board have a drive through testing station , bit like McDonald’s except instead of placing an order you open your mouth, a nurse swabs your gob and you drive off and they phone your results.  Don’t think you get a free toy with every bogey you leave. 

York has set up a similar system too. I’ve got a few hospital appointments coming up in the next couple of weeks. I’ll be able to see what things are like and now they are coping with it all. 

What's going on?!:

Coronavirus panic: Why are people stockpiling toilet paper?

Perhaps the worst doomsday scenario is this: being stuck on the toilet and finding you're down to the last square.

At least that appears to be the nightmare prospect scaring many Australians right now, who have become the latest group to respond to coronavirus fears by buying toilet paper en masse.

This is despite authorities stressing there is no shortage - given most of the nation's rolls are made locally.

However in Sydney, the nation's largest city, supermarket shelves have been cleared in minutes, forcing one chain to enforce a four-pack buying limit.

On social media, #toiletpapergate and #toiletpapercrisis were top trending on Wednesday. Rolls were being flogged for hundreds of dollars online, while listeners were calling into radio stations to win packs of 3-ply loo roll.

The situation in the past 48 hours has unravelled so much there are also reports of people stealing from public loos.

Just what is going on, and why are people acting this way?

An uptick in panic

The toilet paper problem is not unique to Australia - a similar situation besieged places worse-affected by the virus, such as Singapore, Japan and Hong Kong. 

Last month, armed robbers stole pallets in Hong Kong following panic-buying induced shortages there. There are reports of toilet paper buy-ups in the US as well. 

In Australia, the frenzy began on the weekend after new cases of Covid-19 emerged and the first local death was reported.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51731422

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

I'm sure when you learn about the Black Death in school they tell you that they used to mark all the doors of infected people with an X or something. Who needs that when you have social media.

I was wondering how the other guys in my tenement block would feel if I got it! Even if I was self-quarantining.

I read the other day that in China if you have the virus they’ve been putting a big paper sheet over your door so people know not to knock at your house / flat. If that happened here people would be burning houses down. 

1 hour ago, Earth_pig said:

This is if it it becomes increasingly worse, I don't think all the NHS are currently being stretched because 51 people have the Virus, there have been no reports that it has been life threatening for any of them.

Maybe they aren't, but they not in the disciplines crucial to this outbreak. My partner works in acute & critical respiratory where they're always short staffed (25% -33% down) and there's a waiting list of the ill to get on the wards. In fact the only time they have free beds is when they are shut to new admissions due to a Norovirus outbreak.

14 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Maybe they aren't, but they not in the disciplines crucial to this outbreak. My partner works in acute & critical respiratory where they're always short staffed (25% -33% down) and there's a waiting list of the ill to get on the wards. In fact the only time they have free beds is when they are shut to new admissions due to a Norovirus outbreak.

Fair enough, that's not nice to hear that they are short staffed, must be tough.

I just think people are going a bit to crazy and will look back and feel silly.

40 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

How do these people get tested? As I said my partner had all the symptoms, called 111 and was told he was probably fine as no international travel etc. So presumably everyone who has been tested at least has the travel risks? 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

35 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

😂

This person certainly is:

The problem with images like this being shared on social media is everyone laughs at it and then shares it with others so they can laugh too. And then some of those who laughed go to Asda and walk down the toilet paper aisle and throw extra packs in to the trolley "just in case".

You see, it's not the nutters like this woman who cause the problem because they are so few and far between, it's the sharing of the image so that it gets stuck in the psyche of a normal person so they buy a bit more.

And then suddenly the 2000 rolls Asda normally sells becomes 4000 rolls and shelves start becoming bare so people start panicking and buy even more and so on and so on.

Edited by So Sad Simon