Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

Do you think there's any possibility of the cancellation deadline being extended or even ditched so that folks can pull out after paying the balance at no penalty if they have concerns?  Refunded tickets to then go into a further resale?

If we get to April and the outlook is still unclear it could be a concession to allow people more time to make a decision.

6 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Do you think there's any possibility of the cancellation deadline being extended or even ditched so that folks can pull out after paying the balance at no penalty if they have concerns?  Refunded tickets to then go into a further resale?

If we get to April and the outlook is still unclear it could be a concession to allow people more time to make a decision.

I would doubt it very much as the festival will have to start paying for stuff soon after

Right - so amongst the endless pages of waffle and going round in circles, someone here must have put some proper thought to this. What is our consenus in terms of likelyhood? Surely events like Glastonbury are the very first thing to go in such an event. As much I would be devestated, is it increasingly likely? To be honest, as a 24 year old healthy (ish) male im really not worried about myself but I appreciate that not everyone is afforded this luxury.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Unfortunately what makes them really well protected from lions (their ability to roll up into essentially an armoured ball) makes them super easy for poachers to just pick up. They are essentially defenceless against humans if humans can find them.

I really like pangolins.

Me too. When I was in Cusco some guy on the street had a very very scared looking Pangolin sitting on a barrel. Poor little thing was a long way from home. 

2 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Right - so amongst the endless pages of waffle and going round in circles, someone here must have put some proper thought to this. What is our consenus in terms of likelyhood? Surely events like Glastonbury are the very first thing to go in such an event. As much I would be devestated, is it increasingly likely? To be honest, as a 24 year old healthy (ish) male im really not worried about myself but I appreciate that not everyone is afforded this luxury.

If they cancel Glastonbury, any major live event, festival, gathering will be cancelled. They'll also more than likely close down the Tube network which hosts 2 million people a day. How long do all these things get stopped for? When these things stop, where does everyone go? Do they leave the country to go on holiday? Nope airports are closed/other countries are refusing to let people in. Cool lets all go down the pub 'oh I caught it at the pub anyway'.

You're just as likely to get it on public transport, in the supermarket, at work.The government wont shut down the country. All they can do is let people know its out there, where it is and how serious it is for those who are more at risk. 

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Unfortunately what makes them really well protected from lions (their ability to roll up into essentially an armoured ball) makes them super easy for poachers to just pick up. They are essentially defenceless against humans if humans can find them.

I really like pangolins.

Image result for pangolin sire

They also look like they're saying  "Sire, the prisoners, they've escaped..."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

bbc love ramping this up dont they .... :( 

Well its kind of the nature of the beast - we've spent years consuming ever-more sensationalist media, so as media companies think this is what we want, we get more of it. So here we are.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This is a huge deal u know. I don’t think Glastonbury will be cancelled but it absolutely could be. The concerns are well founded. 

I'm of that view as well tbf. I think it'll be OK but I don't think its guaranteed to be going ahead. I think if bands due to go on UK tours in April/May cancel dates, then we'll have more enhanced concerns.

In much the same way tbf that I think that F1, the Euros and the Olympics will be fine, or at least able to run in a truncated form, but I'm aware there could be trouble.

8 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Glastonbury made an official statement that everything is going ahead as of right now. I would say if they were THAT concerned currently, they wouldn't be taking their chances.

Things are looking up unless we hear otherwise. 

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

If they cancel Glastonbury, any major live event, festival, gathering will be cancelled. They'll also more than likely close down the Tube network which hosts 2 million people a day. How long do all these things get stopped for? When these things stop, where does everyone go? Do they leave the country to go on holiday? Nope airports are closed/other countries are refusing to let people in. Cool lets all go down the pub 'oh I caught it at the pub anyway'.

You're just as likely to get it on public transport, in the supermarket, at work.The government wont shut down the country. All they can do is let people know its out there, where it is and how serious it is for those who are more at risk. 

They wouldn't have a chance of realistically enforcing rules here like the ones in Wuhan recently, but the situation in Wuhan is increasing dramatically thanks to a near shutdown of the city.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This is a huge deal u know. I don’t think Glastonbury will be cancelled but it absolutely could be. The concerns are well founded. 

Don't event tell me, it wasn't a comment making fun out of it at all :) I am going overseas, first time with tickets after years trying and the possibility of cancellation is killing me... 

Just now, TownesMR said:

Glastonbury made an official statement that everything is going ahead as of right now. I would say if they were THAT concerned currently, they wouldn't be taking their chances.

Things are looking up unless we hear otherwise. 

That's all I needed to hear, see u in the wormhole.

14 minutes ago, jow95 said:

This may be obvious, so apologies in advance if it is and you’ve taken it as a given, but it’s not about catching it as such. I personally couldn’t give a monkeys based on the stats being under 40 it’s not life threatening. However if one person takes it to Glastonbury, infects even say 20 people, they go off to far flung places and give it to 20 more and so and so forth... it’s about containment more than anything else and 200k together in a field would be a big risk from that perspective.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

3 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

I am going overseas, first time with tickets after years trying and the possibility of cancellation is killing me... 

I'm in the same boat. Hoping for the best and currently just trying to stay optimistic.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This may be obvious, so apologies in advance if it is and you’ve taken it as a given, but it’s not about catching it as such. I personally couldn’t give a monkeys based on the stats being under 40 it’s not life threatening. However if one person takes it to Glastonbury, infects even say 20 people, they go off to far flung places and give it to 20 more and so and so forth... it’s about containment more than anything else and 200k together in a field would be a big iris from that perspective.

I meant in terms of my worry levels day to day currently. I am very low risk but then again there's always a chance. In terms of Glasto, someone has to make that call if necessary and I do not envy them.

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This may be obvious, so apologies in advance if it is and you’ve taken it as a given, but it’s not about catching it as such. I personally couldn’t give a monkeys based on the stats being under 40 it’s not life threatening. However if one person takes it to Glastonbury, infects even say 20 people, they go off to far flung places and give it to 20 more and so and so forth... it’s about containment more than anything else and 200k together in a field would be a big risk from that perspective.

As I've said previously. 

2 million people use the tube every day. There's more than likely a few people on the tube today who have it. 

How long do they shut down the tube for?

The concerning thing for us all right now is that it's all going the wrong way. Infection rates outside China and a few other nations are on the increase and more and more governments or bodies are enforcing or openly considering restrictions.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This may be obvious, so apologies in advance if it is and you’ve taken it as a given, but it’s not about catching it as such. I personally couldn’t give a monkeys based on the stats being under 40 it’s not life threatening. However if one person takes it to Glastonbury, infects even say 20 people, they go off to far flung places and give it to 20 more and so and so forth... it’s about containment more than anything else and 200k together in a field would be a big iris from that perspective.

Not to mention the medical resources available to the festival and potential demands of the surrounding areas, are the medics going to be available or are they going to be already allocated elsewhere, are they going to risk exposure of medics 'n plod if things are kicking off?

I've got a ticket and will be gutted if the festival is cancelled but unless things start to change significantly with regards to the potential number of cases and associated demands then I reckon this year's a goner.

If medics are already in demand could GFL even meets its requirements licence wise?