Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

25 minutes ago, northernringo said:

I wonder who on efests is closest to a case.

Northern Ireland's only case is 3.2 miles from me (been sent to their home as opposed to being treated in hospital).

I've got one about 6 miles from me

@Charm oh no!! hope its not corona and you have a speedy recovery!

9 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

On a slightly different note (and entirely self- interested!) do we think the concern around the virus and it's spread may affect ticket payment completions and therefore tickets back in the resale?

I know it'll depend on how things progress and assumes no cancellations / adverse news from the festival but will the potential hysteria and concern lead to people going "yea, do ya know what, nah, not risking it" this early.

I don't think it would / should but people are ...people. I'm an 'at risk' type due to a wonderful chronic condition and it's required meds and I would still pay up and attend. But then I've been denied in sales since the 2016 fest and still not over the withdrawal symptoms so I'll take any fix I can get.

(gimme those straws! I need them for the resale! MINE!)

As this escalates I really do think this has high probability.

Not talking about the festival die-hards, but the hipsters and bucket-listers who insist on having showers, clean toilets and ask about the quality restaurants on-site (you know the type I mean!). 

I doubt those unwilling to attend without those luxuries would want to mingle with Mrs Covid-19 and her offspring.

18 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I think we may end up with more UK based acts. If international travel is limited by that point there will be artists not able to get to other festivals so they will want more local gigs. 

At the end, Foals will end up headlining.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the get well wishes. Not worried that it’s anything serious, my Nan told me to call 111 but would feel a fraud as I don’t feel ill enough. Guessing as this goes on lots of people will have the same attitude and that will unfortunately contribute to the spread. 
Charm x

"Travellers from countries with severe coronavirus outbreaks who arrive in some parts of China will have to undergo a 14-day quarantine, state media say.

Travellers from the virus hotspots of South Korea, Japan, Iran and Italy arriving in the capital will have to be isolated, a Beijing official has said."

What a time to be alive :)

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

I caught Swine Flu from a party of around 20-30 people. It doesn’t take a large gathering to spread the virus. 

There’s only two realistic routes of action here. We either barricade everyone in their homes until the virus runs it’s course or we just carry on as normal and people catch the virus and probably lose a significant proportion of the at risk members of our population. 

I think part 2 is inevitable, I think the government are just trying to delay it, as this time of year, hospitals are at bursting points already, through standard flu, slips and falls on ice, and pneumonia, my partner is a nurse and her ward is bursting in summer never mind in winter,

Luckily for us, we’ve had a baby, 7 month now, so she’s got 5 month left maternity, hopefully it clears up before she goes back, as don’t want to pass anything on to the little one, even though they are coping pretty well I don’t want to risk it.

Edited by waynewdk

Just reading a bit more about how these viruses originated, from bats to another animal to humans. It’s all down to Chinese wet markets and them keeping together and eating all the animals under the sun. They don’t know the intermediary animal yet, but one theory is the pangolin. It’s illegal to hunt and eat the pangolin in China, yet they still insist on doing it. I’m a vegetarian so don’t eat any meat, but why they insist on eating so many different animals (basically you name it, they eat it) and worse still, ones that are actually illegal to eat is totally beyond me.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

24 minutes ago, Charm said:

I’m 2.6 miles from a school that’s been closed and am currently in bed with a cough and high temperature. 
Charm x

Get well soon! My partner is the same since Friday but when he called 111 they said probably not coronavirus due to him not having travelled to affected areas. Seems weird to me because how can they be so sure now it's been caught by people who didn't travel there? So far I haven't got whatever he has got...

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

The scaremongering of the f'king tabloids boils my blood. It's only when you read through the entire story you find it's going to pass by the earth at around 0.04205 astronomical units, or about 3.9 million miles, or around 16.36 times the distance from the earth to the moon ...... FFS.

You get the same "end of the world" doomsday bollox when they report the weather, it gets a bit chilly and all of a sudden we're in the grip of a arctic freeze not seen in millennia. Bunch of hyperbole peddling shite stirring class a'holes.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Just reading a bit more about how these viruses originated, from bats to another animal to humans. It’s all down to Chinese wet markets and them keeping together and eating all the animals under the sun. They don’t know the intermediary animal yet, but one theory is the pangolin. It’s illegal to hunt and eat the pangolins China, yet they still insist on doing it. I’m a vegetarian so don’t eat any meat, but why they insist on eating so many different animals (basically you make it they eat it) and ones that are illegal to racy is totally beyond me.

There’s some people suggesting it’s come from Pangolins too, looks a bit like and Armadillo 

And if you like your conspiracies, people are also saying it’s linked to the 5G launch in China, which I can’t see being true

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Get well soon! My partner is the same since Friday but when he called 111 they said probably not coronavirus due to him not having travelled to affected areas. Seems weird to me because how can they be so sure now it's been caught by people who didn't travel there? So far I haven't got whatever he has got...

Thanks lovely. Agreed, it’s very weird, surely they should be telling anyone who feels worried enough to call in to self isolate. Stay well. 
Charm x

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just because you haven’t been somewhere doesn’t mean you haven’t been exposed to the virus. You could have been sat next to someone with it when they haven’t even realised. 

For those people who get public transport to work, do you remember every person you sat next to last week? 

11 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Just because you haven’t been somewhere doesn’t mean you haven’t been exposed to the virus. You could have been sat next to someone with it when they haven’t even realised. 

For those people who get public transport to work, do you remember every person you sat next to last week? 

Yeah that's kind of my point. He works in central London and gets the tube every day going through a major station. I think they just haven't updated their guidance to the 111 operators since everyone getting it had travel history.

Edit: just to add that he was doing that commute before he got ill, not at the moment!

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

27 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

On a slightly different note (and entirely self- interested!) do we think the concern around the virus and it's spread may affect ticket payment completions and therefore tickets back in the resale?

I know it'll depend on how things progress and assumes no cancellations / adverse news from the festival but will the potential hysteria and concern lead to people going "yea, do ya know what, nah, not risking it" this early.

I don't think it would / should but people are ...people. I'm an 'at risk' type due to a wonderful chronic condition and it's required meds and I would still pay up and attend. But then I've been denied in sales since the 2016 fest and still not over the withdrawal symptoms so I'll take any fix I can get.

(gimme those straws! I need them for the resale! MINE!)

Assuming it's not cancelled, I'd expect more tickets to be put back in the pot (and less demand on resale day) than the last few festivals.  Whether this translates to a noticeably easier sale, I suspect not.

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah that's kind of my point. He works in central London and gets the tube every day going through a major station. I think they just haven't updated their guidance to the 111 operators since everyone getting it had travel history.

I used the website form a few times last week to see if the advice changed, but it still hasn't even now. The first 8 or so questions are "Have you been to [virus hotspot]" ("No"), "Have you been in close contact with anyone with a confirmed case of Covid-19?" ("No") and then "Do you have any of these symptoms" ("Yes") and then the result is "You don't need to speak to 111 about coronavirus".

I get that they can't be diagnosing people from a few questions online, but I'm shocked that they are still calling it "unlikely" that you have the virus, when everyone in charge seems to be concerned with the undetected spread of the virus in the community.

I suppose once they flip the switch to say that everyone with a cough or a fever needs to be tested for coronavirus, that will mean the services are absolutely inundated. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I used the website form a few times last week to see if the advice changed, but it still hasn't even now. The first 8 or so questions are "Have you been to [virus hotspot]" ("No"), "Have you been in close contact with anyone with a confirmed case of Covid-19?" ("No") and then "Do you have any of these symptoms" ("Yes") and then the result is "You don't need to speak to 111 about coronavirus".

I get that they can't be diagnosing people from a few questions online, but I'm shocked that they are still calling it "unlikely" that you have the virus, when everyone in charge seems to be concerned with the undetected spread of the virus in the community.

I suppose once they flip the switch to say that everyone with a cough or a fever needs to be tested for coronavirus, that will mean the services are absolutely inundated. 

Yes I agree. Maybe that's part of the worry, and they are trying to avoid mass panic and service overload. He probably does just have a cold, but they don't know that.