Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

In Spain we have just now 150 cases and growing every minute, it's escalating really quick and it's looking we will follow Italy in the ranking very very soon.

However, the Government it's not planning to cancel any massive event (at least now)- only restrictions in small parts of the country and affecting small communities. No one it's considering here a possibility of cancellation of Primavera Sound (it's before Glasto) or Mad Cool.

This days we are having the "Fallas" in Valencia with an attendance much bigger than Glastonbury. On Sunday Madrid-Barcelona football match with 90,000 people in the stadium (and Madrid with 40 cases...)

I am curious where we are going to end mid term with this strategy. The point it's that the air traffic remains the same and Italy and Spain are receiving and exporting thousands of people daily, being with France (that is over 100 too) very touristy countries.

Edited by AlexOvd

Just now, TownesMR said:

I don't believe these have actually been confirmed, but I could be wrong

Believe you are correct. There have been cases that they are looking into

There are only 4 other corona virus that we do not get immunity to once we have caught it so can catch multiple times

11 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

In Spain we have just now 150 cases and growing every minute, it's escalating really quick and it's looking we will follow Italy in the ranking very very soon.

However, the Government it's not planning to cancel any massive event (at least now)- only restrictions in small parts of the country and affecting small communities. No one it's considering here a possibility of cancellation of Primavera Sound (it's before Glasto) or Mad Cool.

This days we are having the "Fallas" in Valencia with an attendance much bigger than Glastonbury. On Sunday Madrid-Barcelona football match with 90,000 people in the stadium (and Madrid with 40 cases...)

I am curious where we are going to end mid term with this strategy. The point it's that the air traffic remains the same and Italy and Spain are receiving and exporting thousands of people daily, being with France (that is over 100 too) very touristy countries.

Spain, France and Germany's case numbers increasing each day is far from ideal, but they are also significantly behind Italy in term's of active case growth.

Italy literally exploded out of nowhere (with little warning) and has continued to spiral since.

The good news is Spain, France and Germany are increasing at more gradual rates than Italy did - most likely due to them expecting it whereas Italy didn't have that luxury.

The hope is no country in Europe follows Italy's path in 'exploding' over a couple of days.

2 minutes ago, northernringo said:

I wonder who on efests is closest to a case.

Northern Ireland's only case is 3.2 miles from me (been sent to their home as opposed to being treated in hospital).

they were just interested in the breakdowns you have given us and wanted to give you a close up ..... lots of apparents seem to be cropping up ... 

35 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Unless everything is shutdown, cancelling Glastonbury and other events would do nothing to prevent the virus.

Yes, that's what I'm clinging to, really.

The facts are that anyone who knows anything about it says a widespread outbreak is very likely. The strategy is to push such an outbreak to around the time of Glastonbury. The government have said that if that happens at that time, they will consider "social distancing".

On the face of it, Glastonbury is obviously in the firing line.

However, there is also concern that eroding social cohesion is itself damaging, and that if an outbreak has occurred, then it's occurred. At that point, it's not containment any longer, it's mitigation. The virus is out there, and cancelling mass gatherings isn't going to stop it, especially if you're cancelling music festivals but leaving the London underground etc. operating normally.

Practically, I expect there to be 'health stations' or something similar around the site, possibly additional entry checks, perhaps hand sanitisers made freely available at the gates.

I do think Glastonbury 2020 will go ahead, but I see more hysteria among people who're adamant there's no issue.

Edited by kalifire

10 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Northern Ireland's only case is 3.2 miles from me (been sent to their home as opposed to being treated in hospital).

This prompted me to look for a map, looks like I'm surrounded!

https://news.sky.com/story/mapped-where-coronavirus-has-spread-in-the-uk-11948150 

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s all relative to how much it spirals from here. Loads of artists like Stormzy etc have cancelled tours in the Far East and Italy. If it ends up getting as bad as it has in Italy then the festival will be cancelled by default, as most of the acts will pull out.

I think we may end up with more UK based acts. If international travel is limited by that point there will be artists not able to get to other festivals so they will want more local gigs. 

3 minutes ago, northernringo said:

I’m 2.6 miles from a school that’s been closed and am currently in bed with a cough and high temperature. 
Charm x

15 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Spain, France and Germany's case numbers increasing each day is far from ideal, but they are also significantly behind Italy in term's of active case growth.

Italy literally exploded out of nowhere (with little warning) and has continued to spiral since.

The good news is Spain, France and Germany are increasing at more gradual rates than Italy did - most likely due to them expecting it whereas Italy didn't have that luxury.

The hope is no country in Europe follows Italy's path in 'exploding' over a couple of days.

I was referring "following" Italy to be the second with most cases in Europe, I hope not in the same level of course, but it's getting a bit out of control lately.

On a slightly different note (and entirely self- interested!) do we think the concern around the virus and it's spread may affect ticket payment completions and therefore tickets back in the resale?

I know it'll depend on how things progress and assumes no cancellations / adverse news from the festival but will the potential hysteria and concern lead to people going "yea, do ya know what, nah, not risking it" this early.

I don't think it would / should but people are ...people. I'm an 'at risk' type due to a wonderful chronic condition and it's required meds and I would still pay up and attend. But then I've been denied in sales since the 2016 fest and still not over the withdrawal symptoms so I'll take any fix I can get.

(gimme those straws! I need them for the resale! MINE!)