Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

Just now, northernringo said:

On the other hand, it may work out well for them.

If the Euros were due to be held in Italy this year, then there would be serious worry. If, come June, only Italy is still very badly hit by the virus, then I'm sure the matches scheduled for Italy can be relocated to countries in Europe with very few cases.

Where’s the god damn update Ringo?

1 hour ago, northernringo said:

Today's update:

Not a disastrous day yesterday, gradual growth again in Europe and Middle East and South Korea continuing to do poorly but some encouraging signs too.

Another very good day for China as their active cases drops by 2,655 (29,936). That's a drop of 27,579 since I started doing these stats on Feb 17th. At some point these decreases will gradually tail off I imagine (possibly even increase again for a bit) but this is still great news.

Else in East Asia there are no other signs for concern except South Korea. Singapore is down 4 (30) and there is no change in Thailand (11), Vietnam (0), Cambodia (0), Indonesia (2), Malaysia (11), Macau (2) and the Philippines (1). Slight increases in Hong Kong of 2 (62) and 1 in Taiwan (29). Japan continue to increase daily but do seem to be doing well at limiting the increases. Up 18 to 236. Still very slow in terms of recoveries in Japan so hopefully that improves over the week.

South Korea continues to be a disaster though. Roughly 500 new cases and now up to 4,754. Similarly to Japan, the recovery rate is incredibly slow (only 30).

In the Middle East, Iran proves to be the big issue. The rest of the region is doing it's best to combat the rise in case numbers. One newly infected country in Saudi Arabia (1) and generally small increases elsewhere. No change in Afghanistan (1), Oman (5) and UAE (16). Kuwait with the biggest jump of 11 up to 56. Iran's case numbers jumped massively but thankfully their number of recoveries also grows at a good rate. Up 395 in total (1,144).

Africa has a few more countries now in Senegal (1) and Morocco (1). Egypt (1) and Nigeria (1) have seen no change but Algeria is up to 3 cases. 

In Europe it is a mix of countries doing well at containing it and those with gradual increases (and then there is Italy...). Thankfully there were a lot of countries who didn't increase at all yesterday (Ireland, Croatia, Greece, Finland, etc.). The UK had a pretty good day, it grew by 3 overall (31) as one of the previously confirmed cases turned out to be a false positive. France (up 60 to 176), Germany (up 35 to 149) and Spain (up 36 to 118) continue to look like the biggest potential problems while there was also significant growth in Switzerland (up 15 to 42) and Netherlands (up 8 to 18). New countries to be infected are Andorra (1), Latvia (1) and Portugal (2).

No change at all in Latin America but small increases in North America. Dominican Republic didn't change (1) but USA grew 15 (92) and had 4 more deaths. Canada is also up 3 to 21.

Not a massive amount of change in the rest of the world although Russia has an active case again (1), Pakistan is up 1 (5) and Australia is up 2 (19).

Our best hope over the next few days is that the rate of increase in South Korea, Italy and Iran begins to flatten and the other countries continue to contain it until this happens.

🤗

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Splatt said:

No again I look at the best available evidence and make my judgement. No need to stockpile as in worst case there will plans in place for this and if you take a look at places where it’s worst hit such as Wuhan there has been no food shortage. 

i also think all the agencies involved: medics, fire, police, public health that are all required to make the festival happen will not have the staff to provide needed to keep the place running. 

You've clearly not seen the video of the Italian old man that can't get hold of any pasta

6 minutes ago, northernringo said:

On the other hand, it may work out well for them.

If the Euros were due to be held in Italy this year, then there would be serious worry. If, come June, only Italy is still very badly hit by the virus, then I'm sure the matches scheduled for Italy can be relocated to countries in Europe with very few cases.

Hopefully. One of our games is in Italy but if one is getting cancelled, they all are. No chance it will be only one country that's bad if it's still going on by then.

15 minutes ago, incident said:

I don't know whether the Euros are at risk or not - but really, they couldn't have picked a worse year to try out this multi nation host thing. They'll have large numbers of people crossing the continent in just about every possible way..

Euros are probably the most at risk event besides the Olympics. 

As you say, huge numbers of people all over the continent. One of our games is in Italy, as are Switzerlands and Turkeys. There's a load of carriers for it right there. 

Obviously by then probably more countries will have quite a few more cases too. Or it will be dying out hopefully. 

If anything's getting cancelled though, the Euros are top of the list.

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Someone on Reddit has the right idea. If we’re all going to catch it we might as well have a two week long corona party and then go back to work after.

Glastonbury will be the perfect location for such an event. 

F3BBC6C3-3B44-4D65-9CC4-E53AE8FC82FA.thumb.jpeg.857d3df384eb129ee502302e7b05caef.jpeg

A slightly flippant comment but in a roundabout way that's what the 'delay' phase does. It would enable the epidemic to proceed under some kind of control. They need to limit the peak and therefore such 'corona parties' need to be limited such as big events that we are discussing here. This also explains why some events (aka corona parties) such as crufts and perhaps Cheltenham appear to be going ahead as any infections as a result of these can probably best me managed at the moment - the smoothing of the peak on infection. 

This is what I like to see:

NO EVENT BAN NECESSARY IN UK, SAYS GOV MEDICAL ADVISER
The deputy chief medical officer has told the UK live industry there is no rationale for shutting down events, despite fears over the coronavirus

https://www.iq-mag.net/2020/03/event-ban-necessary-uk-gov-medical-adviser-covid-19/#.Xl2KtTNyadN

1 minute ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

The deputy chief medical officer has told the UK live industry there is no rationale for shutting down events, despite fears over the coronavirus

https://www.iq-mag.net/2020/03/event-ban-necessary-uk-gov-medical-adviser-covid-19/#.Xl2KtTNyadN

Excellent, just need to make sure we don’t catch the fucking thing the week before!

13 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I just saw this in The Guardian....

I'm a bit worried now. Trying to reassure myself that a) the media loves a good story and b) they don't actually know what will happen....

Screenshot_20200303_130558.jpg

He should stick to commentating on Cricket... so many experts out there 😫

16 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

yet the govt has cancelling events in their list of possibles. ;) 

I think the reality is that as a political decision the govt will feel the need to shut down events in certain circumstances, because if they don't they'll be criticised for inaction, for doing nothing when they might have done something.