Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

There are 2 ways to try and control this: Containment, which the Chinese have successfully illustrated, and mitigation, which the rest of us are going to rely upon, it would seem.

As you say, closing cities and shutting anywhere people can congregate is not a realistic solution for a modern western society.  Life must go on, we must accept the impacts that this will have and all do our best to not make matters worse.  As mentioned many pages back, there is a segment of society, known to all of us, who will be selfish, who will be ignorant, who will make things worse.  They'll be the people panic buying, the people kicking up a fuss at the chemist, at the doctors, at any chance they get really.  Don't be a dick and things will always be better.

Stupid frigging headlines like this are only going to make things worse....

image.png.2c25b6ac1b820e3b46d85e562f8f234d.png

Infections in UK would peak three months after first sustained transmission

The government are working on the basis that it will take between two and three months after the first sustained human to human transmission for the outbreak to peak.

That potentially key point on time frames was spelled out by Britain’s chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance.

After that it would take another two to three months for it to taper off.

The government are essentially getting us ready for a 3 month period of containment measures and reading between lines seems they inspect them to be introduced from late this month/early next. Whichever way you cut it that means no Glastonbury. Even when containment is over that doesn't mean all back to normal, as infections will still be high. 

1 minute ago, Splatt said:

The government are essentially getting us ready for a 3 month period of containment measures and reading between lines seems they inspect them to be introduced from late this month/early next. Whichever way you cut it that means no Glastonbury. Even when containment is over that doesn't mean all back to normal, as infections will still be high. 

2 + 2 = 5 there.... good maths....

Do you write the headlines for the media by any chance? 

Edited by Havors
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Havors said:

2 + 2 = 5 there.... good maths....

Do you right the headlines for the media by any chance? 

No, I'm taking facts, measures outlined and evidence from occurrence elsewhere. I would love to be wrong but I hope you will apologise to me when I'm right.

35 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Well, I've been critical of the Government's response (or rather lack of one, it seemed that they were maybe hiding the planning documents in a fridge), but I am at least glad to read that they respect the seriousness of the situation and the conclusions on the social and economic effects are realistic as I see them.

Thank goodness most people on here aren't in Government.

Just now, Splatt said:

No, I'm taking facts, measures outlined and evidence from occurrence elsewhere. I would love to be wrong but I hope you will apologise to me when I'm right.

Nah you are just taking all kinds of "facts" out of context and making shit up. Hence the "reading between the lines".... 

4 minutes ago, Splatt said:

Does that also mean no football or sports of any kind? No shopping centers? No train stations open at peak times? Literally no kind of mass congregation? I'm by no means an expert but if you're going to cancel Glastonbury then you also need to stop the trains, the tube, close Westfield, and ban people from basically going outside. Don't be daft. 

Just now, Havors said:

Nah you are just taking all kinds of "facts" out of context and making shit up. Hence the "reading between the lines".... 

No I'm not. This is pretty much the government telling you exactly what is going to happen. It's been drip, drip, drip in terms of managing the populations expectation and not to cause mass panic etc. 

The preparation for Glasto starts to ramp up in May. This will coincide with time period restrictions in place. With all the available evidence I have it ain't happening. 

Just now, rawrsomesauce said:

Does that also mean no football or sports of any kind? No shopping centers? No train stations open at peak times? Literally no kind of mass congregation? I'm by no means an expert but if you're going to cancel Glastonbury then you also need to stop the trains, the tube, close Westfield, and ban people from basically going outside. Don't be daft. 

They are very different beasts. Glastonbury as much as we all love it is not essential for daily life. It also has huge numbers of people in small area, limited washing facilities, requires masses of outside agencies incl police to support (who look like they'll have more important things to be doing).

1 minute ago, Splatt said:

No I'm not. This is pretty much the government telling you exactly what is going to happen. It's been drip, drip, drip in terms of managing the populations expectation and not to cause mass panic etc. 

The preparation for Glasto starts to ramp up in May. This will coincide with time period restrictions in place. With all the available evidence I have it ain't happening. 

Nonsense. It's a worse case scenario, meant to show that they will control things. Then the media and you go off on a mad one spouting all kinds of bollocks assumptions.  I bet your off to stock pile from the supermarkets now arent you? and buy all the petrol!  

🙄

Just now, topmarksbri said:

So do you think the euros are going to be cancelled? The end of the football season? 6 nations?

Yeah and the society is going to collapse and we will all start killing each other.... :D :D 

Just now, Havors said:

Yeah and the society is going to collapse and we will all start killing each other.... :D :D 

That’s the thing, as I said yesterday, every gig, olympics, Euros, all festivals, every airport? The tube, bluewater, Stratford etc.... all closed?!!

Not a chance the world stops

34 minutes ago, Stu H said:

Don't forget it's not just 'big' events. Footy up and down the country sees 40k crowds across cities. Gigs in multiple cities a week of 5-10k 

I caught Swine Flu from a party of around 20-30 people. It doesn’t take a large gathering to spread the virus. 

There’s only two realistic routes of action here. We either barricade everyone in their homes until the virus runs it’s course or we just carry on as normal and people catch the virus and probably lose a significant proportion of the at risk members of our population. 

Just now, sisco said:

That’s the thing, as I said yesterday, every gig, olympics, Euros, all festivals, every airport? The tube, bluewater, Stratford etc.... all closed?!!

Not a chance the world stops

Exactly....  

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

Nonsense. It's a worse case scenario, meant to show that they will control things. Then the media and you go off on a mad one spouting all kinds of bollocks assumptions.  I bet your off to stock pile from the supermarkets now arent you? and buy all the petrol!  

🙄

No again I look at the best available evidence and make my judgement. No need to stockpile as in worst case there will plans in place for this and if you take a look at places where it’s worst hit such as Wuhan there has been no food shortage. 

i also think all the agencies involved: medics, fire, police, public health that are all required to make the festival happen will not have the staff to provide needed to keep the place running. 

20 minutes ago, Splatt said:

I hope you will apologise to us when you are wrong.

You can save it for the week after Glastonbury if you like.   I know how hard it is to string sentences together immediately after you get back, without getting all confused and emotional.

13 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

So do you think the euros are going to be cancelled? The end of the football season? 6 nations?

I don't know whether the Euros are at risk or not - but really, they couldn't have picked a worse year to try out this multi nation host thing. They'll have large numbers of people crossing the continent in just about every possible way..

4 minutes ago, incident said:

I don't know whether the Euros are at risk or not - but really, they couldn't have picked a worse year to try out this multi nation host thing. They'll have large numbers of people crossing the continent in just about every possible way..

On the other hand, it may work out well for them.

If the Euros were due to be held in Italy this year, then there would be serious worry. If, come June, only Italy is still very badly hit by the virus, then I'm sure the matches scheduled for Italy can be relocated to countries in Europe with very few cases.