Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

9 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Just got a job offer of my dream job, which also happens to mean that I will exclusively work from home and is a massive pay rise (3 times my current salary).  Honestly with all the kerfuffle this couldn't be better timing.

PS: I am jumping about like a little kid with excitement!

Congratulations!

Let's be honest if everyone is getting so flappy over 39 people from a population of 67 million?... imagine how the shit is going to hit the fan once there is a couple of hundred confirmed. 

Perspective is already being lost. The media are fanning the flames treating it like its a game show to see what country can get the highest amount of cases and society is going to collapse if we reach 100 cases. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Just got a job offer of my dream job, which also happens to mean that I will exclusively work from home and is a massive pay rise (3 times my current salary).  Honestly with all the kerfuffle this couldn't be better timing.

PS: I am jumping about like a little kid with excitement!

Congrats dude 

1 hour ago, Earth_pig said:

all the hand sanitisers had sold out in walthamstow boots and Sainsbury's yesterday, so people are least keeping clean hands.

I dare not go near the hand sanitiser section ... it seems to be an area of human congregation to discuss the virus ... obviously we don’t have any but the irony of people gathering in this area is probably lost 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I dare not go near the hand sanitiser section ... it seems to be an area of human congregation to discuss the virus ... obviously we don’t have any but the irony of people gathering in this area is probably lost 

Surely one of the highest risk areas, along with canned goods.

So before glasto we have:

cheltenham

st Patrick’s day

boat race

grande national

London marathon 

tour de Yorkshire 

fa cup final

chelsea flower show

hay festival 

multiple prides 

Epsom derby

isle of wight

queen’s birthday 

london fashion week

royal ascot

Wimbledon

and that’s just the main ones, we will also have loads of VE Day events up and down the country. 

5 minutes ago, Havors said:

Let's be honest if everyone is getting so flappy over 39 people from a population of 67 million?... imagine how the shit is going to hit the fan once there is a couple of hundred confirmed. 

Perspective is already being lost. The media are fanning the flames treating it like its a game show to see what country can get the highest amount of cases and society is going to collapse if we reach 100 cases. 

Correct, should be taking off cases that have been treated and cured. Think its under 40,000 cases now which shows it can be contained. The media are telling the Who to make it a pandemic while the who are saying well everything at the moment shows it can be contained 

Today's update:

Not a disastrous day yesterday, gradual growth again in Europe and Middle East and South Korea continuing to do poorly but some encouraging signs too.

Another very good day for China as their active cases drops by 2,655 (29,936). That's a drop of 27,579 since I started doing these stats on Feb 17th. At some point these decreases will gradually tail off I imagine (possibly even increase again for a bit) but this is still great news.

Else in East Asia there are no other signs for concern except South Korea. Singapore is down 4 (30) and there is no change in Thailand (11), Vietnam (0), Cambodia (0), Indonesia (2), Malaysia (11), Macau (2) and the Philippines (1). Slight increases in Hong Kong of 2 (62) and 1 in Taiwan (29). Japan continue to increase daily but do seem to be doing well at limiting the increases. Up 18 to 236. Still very slow in terms of recoveries in Japan so hopefully that improves over the week.

South Korea continues to be a disaster though. Roughly 500 new cases and now up to 4,754. Similarly to Japan, the recovery rate is incredibly slow (only 30).

In the Middle East, Iran proves to be the big issue. The rest of the region is doing it's best to combat the rise in case numbers. One newly infected country in Saudi Arabia (1) and generally small increases elsewhere. No change in Afghanistan (1), Oman (5) and UAE (16). Kuwait with the biggest jump of 11 up to 56. Iran's case numbers jumped massively but thankfully their number of recoveries also grows at a good rate. Up 395 in total (1,144).

Africa has a few more countries now in Senegal (1) and Morocco (1). Egypt (1) and Nigeria (1) have seen no change but Algeria is up to 3 cases. 

In Europe it is a mix of countries doing well at containing it and those with gradual increases (and then there is Italy...). Thankfully there were a lot of countries who didn't increase at all yesterday (Ireland, Croatia, Greece, Finland, etc.). The UK had a pretty good day, it grew by 3 overall (31) as one of the previously confirmed cases turned out to be a false positive. France (up 60 to 176), Germany (up 35 to 149) and Spain (up 36 to 118) continue to look like the biggest potential problems while there was also significant growth in Switzerland (up 15 to 42) and Netherlands (up 8 to 18). New countries to be infected are Andorra (1), Latvia (1) and Portugal (2).

No change at all in Latin America but small increases in North America. Dominican Republic didn't change (1) but USA grew 15 (92) and had 4 more deaths. Canada is also up 3 to 21.

Not a massive amount of change in the rest of the world although Russia has an active case again (1), Pakistan is up 1 (5) and Australia is up 2 (19).

Our best hope over the next few days is that the rate of increase in South Korea, Italy and Iran begins to flatten and the other countries continue to contain it until this happens.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

cheltenham

st Patrick’s day

boat race

grande national

London marathon 

tour de Yorkshire 

fa cup final

chelsea flower show

hay festival 

multiple prides 

Epsom derby

isle of wight

queen’s birthday 

london fashion week

royal ascot

Wimbledon

and that’s just the main ones, we will also have loads of VE Day events up and down the country. 

Boat race

2 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

cheltenham

st Patrick’s day

boat race

grande national

London marathon 

tour de Yorkshire 

fa cup final

chelsea flower show

hay festival 

multiple prides 

Epsom derby

isle of wight

queen’s birthday 

london fashion week

royal ascot

Wimbledon

Not to mention football games every single week, I'm on my way down to West Brom for a midweek cup tie with thousands of home and away fans. I'd class those events as a large gathering. They would be postponing events like these if they were concerned. 

Ps Yes I know i'm a glutton for punishment with the football. 

5 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Not to mention football games every single week, I'm on my way down to West Brom for a midweek cup tie with thousands of home and away fans. I'd class those events as a large gathering. They would be postponing events like these if they were concerned. 

Ps Yes I know i'm a glutton for punishment with the football. 

Well yes and the start of the cricket season/ rugby. But I thought I would list the major events that would make headlines if cancelled. 

39 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

cheltenham

st Patrick’s day

boat race

grande national

London marathon 

tour de Yorkshire 

fa cup final

chelsea flower show

hay festival 

multiple prides 

Epsom derby

isle of wight

queen’s birthday 

london fashion week

royal ascot

Wimbledon

Also not in UK but could be interesting to see how the States handle South by South West and Coachella as many festivals may follow suit. 

4 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Also not in UK but could be interesting to see how the States handle South by South West and Coachella as many festivals may follow suit. 

We shouldn’t follow America’s example here. For that country profit is more important than health. 

Well, I've been critical of the Government's response (or rather lack of one, it seemed that they were maybe hiding the planning documents in a fridge), but I am at least glad to read that they respect the seriousness of the situation and the conclusions on the social and economic effects are realistic as I see them.

36 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Oxford Cambridge boat race, massive crowds next to the river Thames

that's what I thought, I think I just kept reading it as cockney rhyming slang - I don't even remember typing the response.. maybe I need to head to the drunkards thread..

47 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

cheltenham

st Patrick’s day

boat race

grande national

London marathon 

tour de Yorkshire 

fa cup final

chelsea flower show

hay festival 

multiple prides 

Epsom derby

isle of wight

queen’s birthday 

london fashion week

royal ascot

Wimbledon

Isn't there a commonwealth service this Sunday with 4000 worldwide due to attend (or something like that - the guys I've had to tell to work from home due to being in Tenerife last week is due to go = he has no symptoms) - he told me about it

It was mentioned before on TV... if you are going to start cancelling football matches or sporting events then you also need to closing shopping centres and supermarkets etc... its just fucking stupid. We cant grind the country to a halt when there is so few cases, its daft. 

2 hours ago, Doug85 said:

The main bit of news that has concerned me catching up on this thread is the amount of pollution that will be caused from all of the beans everyone seems to be buying. 

My proximity to Ayrshire and those 12 tins of beans is very concerning. Will be like the Icelandic Ash cloud at this rate. 

The prevailing wind in Ayrshire is south westerly so shouldn’t affect Newcastle , but Edinburgh and Dundee beware! 

10 minutes ago, Havors said:

It was mentioned before on TV... if you are going to start cancelling football matches or sporting events then you also need to closing shopping centres and supermarkets etc... its just fucking stupid. We cant grind the country to a halt when there is so few cases, its daft. 

There are 2 ways to try and control this: Containment, which the Chinese have successfully illustrated, and mitigation, which the rest of us are going to rely upon, it would seem.

As you say, closing cities and shutting anywhere people can congregate is not a realistic solution for a modern western society.  Life must go on, we must accept the impacts that this will have and all do our best to not make matters worse.  As mentioned many pages back, there is a segment of society, known to all of us, who will be selfish, who will be ignorant, who will make things worse.  They'll be the people panic buying, the people kicking up a fuss at the chemist, at the doctors, at any chance they get really.  Don't be a dick and things will always be better.