Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

5 minutes ago, So Sad Simon said:

It's also interesting how the Glastonbury forum devotes 83 pages to coronavirus discussions whereas some of the mainland European festival forums have barely even mentioned it.

Efestivals Glastonbury Forum = The new Mumsnet   

I have an account with Mumsnet. As in I'm serious.

As you were.

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Yes, at the moment, Matt Hancock on Sky News right now, but some implication larger events may be cancelled if containment fails

1 minute ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

The original poster hasn’t been seen since early February.. I think it’s safe to assume, he’s fallen to the virus.

The general advice upon lighting the blue touch paper is to retreat to a safe distance.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

How do they react to tales of drug addled mayhem in the 90’s?

I have no idea as I've never talked to anyone on there. It's a little known but sad fact, that I do a fair few on line competitions. I got a Mumsnet account purely to be able to fill out their competition forms. There is almost no territory where I haven't got an account. 

In connection with the above I once filled out a competition to win a car as first prize. There was also a runners up prize of a years supply of Typhoo tea. All you had to do is fill out the form and also tell them what drinking Typhoo tea to you tasted like. Well, you know me - I was right on it. So, I filled out their form and told them that to me it tasted like vomit. Well, the people in charge only gave me the runners up prize - they gave me a years supply of tea with a note saying 'Hope you enjoy it'! So, sure enough they had me in the bag in the end. Touché to them.

21 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Yes, at the moment, Matt Hancock on Sky News right now, but some implication larger events may be cancelled if containment fails

Correct. Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary, is doing the media rounds pushing the message carry on as usual but take precautions. As of now there is now reason to government to step in but this could change if the outbreak worsens.

Basically the government reserves the right to step in at any point and do what it deems appropriate to eradicate the virus.

Edited by Lycra

1 minute ago, Earth_pig said:

all the hand sanitisers had sold out in walthamstow boots and Sainsbury's yesterday, so people are least keeping clean hands.

It's funny that all the advice I've seen is around washing your hands for 20 seconds with soap and water, but yet people are panic buying hand sanitiser. It's like everybody knows better than the expert advice!

24 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I have no idea as I've never talked to anyone on there. It's a little known but sad fact, that I do a fair few on line competitions. I got a Mumsnet account purely to be able to fill out their competition forms. There is almost no territory where I haven't got an account. 

In connection with the above I once filled out a competition to win a car as first prize. There was also a runners up prize of a years supply of Typhoo tea. All you had to do is fill out the form and also tell them what drinking Typhoo tea to you tasted like. Well, you know me - I was right on it. So, I filled out their form and told them that to me it tasted like vomit. Well, the people in charge only gave me the runners up prize - they gave me a years supply of tea with a note saying 'Hope you enjoy it'! So, sure enough they had me in the bag in the end. Touché to them.

That disappoints me, I was hoping to see you chipping in on a discussion about weaning methods with “well, it was 1994 and I was walking around Birmingham NEC having taken some really strong acid...”

• Upvote 1

My partner is a front line nurse being lined up to treat corona cases, should this be necessary. From an entirely selfish stance, I'm wondering at what point I would be justified in asking her to self isolate and live in the shed 🤔

The main bit of news that has concerned me catching up on this thread is the amount of pollution that will be caused from all of the beans everyone seems to be buying. 

My proximity to Ayrshire and those 12 tins of beans is very concerning. Will be like the Icelandic Ash cloud at this rate. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, plot2pot said:

It's funny that all the advice I've seen is around washing your hands for 20 seconds with soap and water, but yet people are panic buying hand sanitiser. It's like everybody knows better than the expert advice!

Seen a few people saying this and they have different functions. I can't wash my hands immediately after leaving a tube rammed full of coughing commuters but I can use hand sanitizer until I get to a sink.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Lycra said:

My partner is a front line nurse being lined up to treat corona cases, should this be necessary. From an entirely selfish stance, I'm wondering at what point I would be justified in asking her to self isolate and live in the shed 🤔

You mean you don’t ask her already?

12 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

The main bit of news that has concerned me catching up on this thread is the amount of pollution that will be caused from all of the beans everyone seems to be buying.

I've recently had to ban my stepson from eating Dahl in order to protect the ozone layer !

Just now, shuttlep said:

heard this morning that they are thinking of cancelling the London Marathon next month

too many people flying in from around the world in to one small location 

sound familiar 

That’s the event I picked out as the one to watch. Slightly more panic kicking in now. 

Just got a job offer of my dream job, which also happens to mean that I will exclusively work from home and is a massive pay rise (3 times my current salary).  Honestly with all the kerfuffle this couldn't be better timing.

PS: I am jumping about like a little kid with excitement!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 11

2 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Just got a job offer of my dream job, which also happens to mean that I will exclusively work from home and is a massive pay rise (3 times my current salary).  Honestly with all the kerfuffle this couldn't be better timing.

Are you the new Health Secretary? 

Ps Congrats

5 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Three times your current salary? No wonder you're jumping around like a little kid!

Plus, everyone knows that 'working from home' is just a euphemism for 'watching Loose Women in my boxers'.

Fair play, and the beers are on you at Worthy Farm (be that '20 or '21)

Edited by So Sad Simon

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

That’s the event I picked out as the one to watch. Slightly more panic kicking in now. 

I thought the actual news today was the health secretary saying atm the advice was not to stop large mass gatherings and not to close schools ?